Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yes they are.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHex View Post
Time makes sense to me but why use rivets to patch ?
Just to match what’s already in place ?

Self tapping screws would do the job as long as everything is sealed properly. I plan on using them in my build for easy of installation, twice as easy as rivets
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
World of difference between screws & rivets. Screws don't begin to pull two panels together the way rivets will. But...that said...my 72 year old bus is all held together with big ass sheet metal screws. Inside & out.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im guessing a couple things...

1. a completely rigid bus is going to make for the possibility things break when they should flex.. rivets with seam sealer behind allow for some expansion and contraction of the various metals with motion, temperature and the like.

2. likely a lot less time to go down the side of a bus during manufacturing with a rivet gun than it is with a welder...

-Christopher

That is all true plus exterior repairs would be really difficult if panels and rub rails were welded on. Gene
Old 08-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
World of difference between screws & rivets. Screws don't begin to pull two panels together the way rivets will.
That is what kept me from considering screws. I have several areas that are sheet metal overlapping without structure behind them and existing rivet holes in places.

Why can't they just build buses out of wood? That would make my life much easier......

I can't wait to be done with this metal manipulation and start making sawdust
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Been holding back, but I can't. How much pressure do you guys need on a patch? Screws pull panels together using the same process a rivet does. The thread of the screw pulls the back panel towards the head of the screw until the panels and screw are sandwiched tight. A rivet does the same by distorting the shaft and pulling the panel towards the head of the rivet. Screws fail as often as rivets in my experience. I'd need to see data that says screws are inferior for this application. I did a lot of repair work on closed utility trailers and they are all assembled with self tapping screws. Why? Because they do the job that is needed, they are quicker and easier to install and can be replaced easily. If it's a structural component I might consider rivets over screws, but in any other application screws work.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
No mention of solid rivets?
They seal great and are dirty dirt cheap. Keeps the original look for many buses, too.
Downsides being that they require backside access and a rivet gun and bucking bar (or a heavy chunk of scrap steel). I bought a gun used and it set me back around $75, if I'm recalling correctly.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
No mention of solid rivets?
They seal great and are dirty dirt cheap. Keeps the original look for many buses, too.
Downsides being that they require backside access and a rivet gun and bucking bar (or a heavy chunk of scrap steel). I bought a gun used and it set me back around $75, if I'm recalling correctly.
My metal working skills leave much to be desired. Bucking rivets is a skill I am reluctant to tackle. Also, it appears to me that I would need a helper to man the bucking bar. Right now I am pretty much working solo.

I will say that when I have had someone working with me I get a whole lot more done and have more fun doing it.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about not working on a motorcycle alone....... Does that apply to buses as well?
Old 08-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
My metal working skills leave much to be desired. Bucking rivets is a skill I am reluctant to tackle. Also, it appears to me that I would need a helper to man the bucking bar. Right now I am pretty much working solo.

I will say that when I have had someone working with me I get a whole lot more done and have more fun doing it.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about not working on a motorcycle alone....... Does that apply to buses as well?
Is that why I have 2 unfinished bikes?
I was thinking that the solid rivet/buck system would require 2 people and always access to the back side.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Is that why I have 2 unfinished bikes?
I was thinking that the solid rivet/buck system would require 2 people and always access to the back side.
That is my best understanding. I have never done it and can't visualize how one person could accomplish it.

Only two unfinished bikes? You must have a bunch of other projects..... If you are like me your to-do list is more like a book