Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #201
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
I have a block heater. I finally got it started with other at 1015. Driving over to the auto shop now.

Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #202
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
I have a block heater. I finally got it started with other at 1015. Driving over to the auto shop now.

Good luck at the Hobby shop!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #203
Bus Nut

I took the bus to the service center. They're doing a full inspection for me. However, the mechanic said he thought it would take 8 hours of labor to change the glow plugs, at $140/hour. So... maybe I'll wait on that one.

My current though is to pick up the bus from the service center tomorrow, get tires, then go to the Auto Skills Center. When I finish up there, I'll probably just keep it running for a couple days until I leave. I can probably shut it off for 3 or 4 hours if the engine is fully warm without any problems starting again, but longer would give me problems.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #204
Bus Nut

Heat sources:

Primary: 3x 40,000 BTU, 1x 28,000 BTU, and 1x defroster auxiliary heaters off of engine heat (5/8" coolant line) - to be installed

Alternate: 40,000 BTU propane furnace (3x 20lb and 1x 100lb propane tank off of two automatic failover regulators, plus 4x spare 20-lb propane tanks, for 240 lbs propane onboard) - to be installed

Contingency 1:
2x 1500 watt electric heaters off the gasoline generator with breather heater kit installed (2 hours/gallon at max output, 6 hours/gallon at min input, 23 gallons of fuel onboard)

Contingency 2: 2x Big Buddy portable propane heaters, each with own regulators to connect to 20-lb tanks

Emergency 1: 80,000 BTU Kerosene/diesel heater (6 gallon tank lasts 10 hours, requires electricity from generator, inverter, or batteries 16 gallons of fuel onboard)

Emergency 2: Oven and 4-burner stove off of propane system

Emergency 3: Exteme Cold Weather Clothing capable -40 degrees plus hand/toe warmers, and a ton of blankets

Emergency 4: A fully operational pickup truck with a good heater, towed behind the bus

Insulation:
1" foam on floor, 3" foam on lower walls, 1.5" upper walls and ceiling spray foam, windows covered by cut foam board - to be installed
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #205
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I took the bus to the service center. They're doing a full inspection for me. However, the mechanic said he thought it would take 8 hours of labor to change the glow plugs, at $140/hour. So... maybe I'll wait on that one.

My current though is to pick up the bus from the service center tomorrow, get tires, then go to the Auto Skills Center. When I finish up there, I'll probably just keep it running for a couple days until I leave. I can probably shut it off for 3 or 4 hours if the engine is fully warm without any problems starting again, but longer would give me problems.
Holy crap! At that those rates I can see relying on the ether till you can do it yourself. I'll bet you can get it done for less in GA too...

How long will your naps be along the Al-Can? It only takes a few hours to cold-soak the engine in sub-zero temps...

The Murder Bus
Old 01-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #206
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
How long will your naps be along the Al-Can? It only takes a few hours to cold-soak the engine in sub-zero temps...
I'm probably just going to keep the engine running for however many days it takes to get to warmer weather. I can shut it off for short periods (gas station, etc.), but I'll leave it running overnight.

I have a 100-gallon fuel tank, but the fuel gauge started glitching about an hour before I got home last trip. This was about two weeks after I covered up the fuel sender access panel with the floor. I know where it is and I designed the floor to make it relatively easy to fix, but I don't have time to mess with it yet.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #207
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Much less chance of diesel fuel gelling when the bus is running so I like your idea till you find warmer temps. I run mine at the fuel pumps if need be and nobody seems to mind.
Carry conditioner for your fuel and gas line antifreeze for any gasoline onboard.

Just don't drive when getting drowsy, poor decisions can be made on winter roads when tired.
Not sure how you made out with the heater switches if at all yet. Your pics show white as the ground on one fan motor. I think black is the power from the breaker to each switch and the other colors are low and hi switch settings. Hope you have a multimeter for the trip.
You are one determined hombre bro, and I wish for you an uneventful trip.
Be safe.

John
Old 01-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #208
Bus Nut

The service center called. Everything looks good mechanically. There are a couple of minor oil leaks but very slow and the fluid levels are fine. The front brakes have a lot of life left, but the rear brake pads have half their life left and the rear drums will need to be replaced at the next brake service.

Mechanic:
"Your engine block heater looks fairly new, and you have heaters on your transmission pan, and battery blankets. Whoever installed the winter kit on this screwed up and left off the heating pad for the oil pan. That's probably part of the reason it is so hard to start in the cold."

Me:
"That was your shop"

Mechanic:
"Oh.... really?..."

I'm having them change the diff fluid, the fuel filter, and the oil (using my oil and filter). I'm going to lubricate all the grease fittings and install heating pads on the oil pan (2x 250 watt pads) when I get it into the auto skills center.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #209
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The service center called. Everything looks good mechanically. There are a couple of minor oil leaks but very slow and the fluid levels are fine. The front brakes have a lot of life left, but the rear brake pads have half their life left and the rear drums will need to be replaced at the next brake service.

Mechanic:
"Your engine block heater looks fairly new, and you have heaters on your transmission pan, and battery blankets. Whoever installed the winter kit on this screwed up and left off the heating pad for the oil pan. That's probably part of the reason it is so hard to start in the cold."

Me:
"That was your shop"

Mechanic:
"Oh.... really?..."

I'm having them change the diff fluid, the fuel filter, and the oil (using my oil and filter). I'm going to lubricate all the grease fittings and install heating pads on the oil pan (2x 250 watt pads) when I get it into the auto skills center.
Nice...

Done is done, but if you have a record of them charging you for the winter kit they should make it right...

The Murder Bus
Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #210
Bus Nut

The switches are all wired and they work. The wire that looks white is actually orange.

I still need to identify the brake wire for the brake controller and trailer wiring, so I'll be spending a lot more time with the multimeter.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #211
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Nice...

Done is done, but if you have a record of them charging you for the winter kit they should make it right...
I just packed my receipts up with the movers. I think they just charged me an hourly labor cost and the parts used.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #212
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Heat sources:

Primary: 3x 40,000 BTU, 1x 28,000 BTU, and 1x defroster auxiliary heaters off of engine heat (5/8" coolant line) - to be installed

Alternate: 40,000 BTU propane furnace (3x 20lb and 1x 100lb propane tank off of two automatic failover regulators, plus 4x spare 20-lb propane tanks, for 240 lbs propane onboard) - to be installed

Contingency 1:
2x 1500 watt electric heaters off the gasoline generator with breather heater kit installed (2 hours/gallon at max output, 6 hours/gallon at min input, 23 gallons of fuel onboard)

Contingency 2: 2x Big Buddy portable propane heaters, each with own regulators to connect to 20-lb tanks

Emergency 1: 80,000 BTU Kerosene/diesel heater (6 gallon tank lasts 10 hours, requires electricity from generator, inverter, or batteries 16 gallons of fuel onboard)

Emergency 2: Oven and 4-burner stove off of propane system

Emergency 3: Exteme Cold Weather Clothing capable -40 degrees plus hand/toe warmers, and a ton of blankets

Emergency 4: A fully operational pickup truck with a good heater, towed behind the bus

Insulation:
1" foam on floor, 3" foam on lower walls, 1.5" upper walls and ceiling spray foam, windows covered by cut foam board - to be installed

Cold here is annoying. Cold there is deadly but I think you have more than enough redundancy!!

I dunno about leaving the bus at idle for days either. The block heater can't keep up?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #213
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Cold here is annoying. Cold there is deadly but I think you have more than enough redundancy!!

I dunno about leaving the bus at idle for days either. The block heater can't keep up?
I've read if you are going to leave it idle for long periods, you want it to be just above idle so you have complete combustion if I remember right and keeps cylinders/heads from gumming up. A newer diesel will automatically kick up the rpm when idling when cold. Again, I'm not sure, just seems like I've read that in the past... Good luck!!
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #214
Bus Geek

Biscuit,
Was thinking of you this morning. It was a 'cold" +20° this morning here. My problem was the frost on the windshield. And the washer fluid being frozen. I use the blue stuff since the orange RainX supposedly kills the float sensor in VWs. Got me to wondering what the hell you and the peeps of Fairbanks use. -70° is a hell of a lot colder.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #215
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Driving the Alcan in winter? Best of luck, you'll need it.

I will also add that diesel fuel can and does gel in a running bus. I would assume that most stations up there properly treat the diesel so it shouldn't be an issue but keep some bottles of power service 911 with you.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #216
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I've read if you are going to leave it idle for long periods, you want it to be just above idle so you have complete combustion if I remember right and keeps cylinders/heads from gumming up. A newer diesel will automatically kick up the rpm when idling when cold. Again, I'm not sure, just seems like I've read that in the past... Good luck!!
There is a "high idle" setting for cold weather. I can keep it inside the next couple of days at the auto skills center, but I'll need it outside again after. The temperature will likely be -30 when it's time to start the trip, and that may be near impossible to start if I let it cool down all the way. And no, the block heater won't keep up at that temperature, even once I add an oil pan heater. Bringing the batteries inside, and then heating oil and transmission fluid on the stove are possible, but I'm not enthused about those ideas except as an emergency. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #217
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Driving the Alcan in winter? Best of luck, you'll need it.

I will also add that diesel fuel can and does gel in a running bus. I would assume that most stations up there properly treat the diesel so it shouldn't be an issue but keep some bottles of power service 911 with you.
I bought a big bottle of another brand. It says it treats 320 gallons. I'm going to do some more research-- none of the labels mention winter-blend or non-winter diesel (yes, they change the formula in cold months).
Old 01-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #218
Bus Nut

The big projects:
Heat
Maintenance
Traction
Driver's seatbelt
Tow hitch
Old 01-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #219
Bus Geek

Quote:
And no, the block heater won't keep up at that temperature, even once I add an oil pan heater.
Damn, all that and still won't keep up? That sucks.

Quote:
Suggestions are welcome.
I'm bowing out. I got nothing!! I will be paying attention tho. Alberta in Feb is still a bucket list item. Fill in Alberta with AK or anything else extreme like that.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #220
Bus Nut

I set aside my vehicle registration card and accidentally had the movers pack it! I called the Vermont DMV and the lady I spoke with is going to send me another over priority mail. I bought the shipping label and emailed it to her, and she'll send it out today. It cost me $7 and about 20 minutes to fix the problem.

I've had nothing but great experiences with the Vermont DMV.