Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #121

Down Hill Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

2. AT545 and 444e for road trips through huge mountain ranges would Not be my first choice.. the at545 has very little ability to hold back the bus on downhill grades.. you'll need to be extremely careful as you descend the mountains so not to fade your brakes..
Why do you say that that engine tranny combination will not be able to hold back the bus going downhill? I am looking at a Bluebird 3800 with the same combination. I thought all diesel could be used for braking.

Is there an aftermarket engine brake that would help?

Thanks

RobertLLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLLawrence View Post
Why do you say that that engine tranny combination will not be able to hold back the bus going downhill? I am looking at a Bluebird 3800 with the same combination. I thought all diesel could be used for braking.

Is there an aftermarket engine brake that would help?

Thanks
It's not the engine that presents the issue it's the transmission.

With a manual transmission or an automatic transmission with a lockup torque converter you have a direct mechanical connection between the engine and transmission and can use engine compression to help you slow down.

If you have an automatic without a lockup torque converter (AT545) you do not have that ability.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #123
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
The AT545 is a transmission that does not have a Lockup torque converter. There is no physical connection to the engine, only a fluid coupling. Therefore, going uphill, it is not as efficient as lots of heat is made due to the slippage of the fluid. Additionally, going downhill you do not get the true benefit of compression braking due to the fluid coupling.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #124
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Top speed is 58 miles per hour on flat ground. In the mountains, I've slowed down, depending on how steep. Max uphill speed on moderate slope is about 45. On very dysteep roads, it's sometimes been as low as 25 with the pedal floored.

This bus does't have a transmission temperature gauge. Instead, it has an "idiot light" that doesn't work. I'm not sure the limit downhill, but I have been very careful in how I brake and how fast I go, sometimes even taking a short break on long downhills.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #125
Bus Nut

I put a couple hundred hours into the bus in preparation for 10-day road trip through Alaska. I'll post pictures later.

The bus is back on hold as I prepare to deploy to the Middle East in a few weeks. I'll be based out of Kuwait, but travelling through Iraq and Syria for about 4 months. I'm packing up the house, putting everything in storage, and living in the bus until it's time to get on a plane.

When I get back, I'll rent a house or apartment where I can put some more work into the bus (in winter) in preparation for PCS. I may not be able to drive the bus as part of the move - I don't think the ALCAN in March is doable in a bus.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 AM   #126
Bus Nut

What would you do if you had limited time before taking a partially converted bus on a 5500 mile road trip down the ALCAN in January?

I'm currently in Iraq. After I get back from deployment, I have three weeks to get on the road. In addition to fixing the bus, I need to ship household goods, clear post, and spend a few days in Anchorage.

Did I mention that I have no heat on the bus? The tires need to be replaced? The driver's seatbelt is missing? I need to change fluids and replace the glow plugs? My generator doesn't work? I plan to tow my pickup and need to install a tow hitch?

Also, I enjoy challenges.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #127
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
You've most definitely got your work cut out for yourself Biscuits.

Not to discourage you, but dreams and reality have a way of butting heads when the rubber meets the road so to speak.

Hopefully you have an inside shop to work in? January weather in AK is unforgiving and you'd be doing most of the work in almost total darkness.
If it was me, I'd skip the bus work this winter, concentrate on whatever the pickup might need to make the road trip.

Maybe during the 3 weeks you'll be able to find storage for the bus until spring/summer when you can get things taken care of? If not, you'd best find another owner for it as the work you've outlined will be difficult at best, impossible at worst, to get done in only 3 weeks.
Not to mention any "hidden" surprises that will come up during the readiness campaign you plan for it.

Good luck, whichever way you go, and Thank You for your service...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #128
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Yikes! The AlCan's no joke...

Does your post have an autohobby shop you can get the bus in so you can work indoors with all their bonus tools?

If you know why the heat doesn't work pre-order all the parts you need to fix so they're on hand when you get back. This holds true for everything you need unless you're at Wainwright and everything's locally available.

You can duct tape a plastic painters drop cloth (two layers even) behind the drivers seat to contain the heat to the drivers area.

Do all your PCS goods have to fit in the bus?

Unless you're building the hitch yourself -- Find a shop now and make sure they're ready to build your hitch as soon as you're back. Friends you can trust? Have them get this done before you get back...

Pre-order your tires -- again, can a buddy get them mounted for you?

Proper PMCS on a vehicle is no joke for the drive you're doing.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #129
Bus Nut

I've run the timeline - I can do it assuming I don't run into too many problems.

I'm not sure if I can use the Auto Skills Center in the winter - I'd have to enter through the exit, but the turn might be too tight without crossing the grass.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #130
Bus Nut

Household goods will go by mover. It's already prepped and staged. However. The Army will pay me about $0.50 per pound for stuff I move myself.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #131
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Biscuit- Just ignore the noise & do the best you can. You'll make it. I'm sure you've got your prep list prioritized. My family made the same trek you're planning, for similar reason, back in '87. It was not winter, but what is cold if you're prepared? Our bus was a GMC gasser with a stick shift. We blew over a dozen tires before getting to Vermont (our final destination), one of them before we got to North Pole after leaving Hamilton Acres in FBNKS. I remember breakdowns too. The Alcan is a long trek, but there is more support than one might think. For peace of mind, a Garmin InReach might come in handy...only because you're travelling in winter. Get good tires w/chains, pack your arctic gear & bring emergency cash. Piece of cake. Thanks for your service!
Old 01-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #132
Bus Nut

One more flight and I'll be back in Alaska. I'm aiming for a 29 January departure.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #133
Bus Nut

Day 1:

I have not picked up the bus from the RV lot (no plug-ins). It's -33 right now and won't warm up until this weekend, with temperatures in the positive range next Monday. I have an engine block heater, but the glow plugs need to be replaced and I still have conventional oil in the engine. I can plug the block heater into a generator for 4-6 hours, but the weather might have to warm up more before I can get it to crank.

My first task was shovelling snow for four hours at -30. Fortunately, there have only been about two feet of snow this winter and it's been cold enough that it wasn't very crusty. The hardest part was breaking through the 3-foot ice ridge that the snowplow left across the end of the driveway.

After plugging in a few hours, my truck started up on the first crank, and I was able to go into work, buy food, etc. The focus for this week is Army, generator maintenance/repair, pickup maintenance, preparing household goods for shipment, and ordering the last parts I need (shipping takes time to Alaska).
Attached Thumbnails
20200106_034009.jpg  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #134
Bus Nut

I have a Garmin Inreach. It will let me send and receive text messages via satellite, give my GPS location, ping their website every 10 minutes so family can follow along, and get weather updates.

My cellphone also is set up through Verizon to be able to call in Canada without roaming charges, although cellphone coverage is infrequent along this route.

And, I paid for the Good Sam Platinum Complete plan. This gives me unlimited towing to nearest service center, two tire replacements/year at up to $750/incident, emergency medical evacuation, and a few other coverages. I also have good insurance through State Farm.

I'm replacing all 6 tires with on-road/off-road tires. Right now I have chains for the front, but still need to buy dual chains for the rear. I'll also have two mounted spares (my old tires) and all the equipment necessary to change my own tires, although I'd prefer for Good Sam to do it unless there is a compelling reason. I'll have a full set of tools, fluids, extra filters, fuses, etc.

For heat, I'll have engine auxiliary heat, a 40k btu propane furnace, two Mr. Buddy portable propane heaters, and multiple 1500 watt electric heaters powered by two Honda EU3000IS generators with breather heater kits. I also have the 7-layer Army extreme cold weather system clothing. And, of course, a ton of blankets, hand and toe warmers, etc.

I'm planning on towing my Ford Ranger pickup also when the road conditions warrant and driving it separate when the roads are icy, visibility is reduced, or there are steep grades. The pickup has 4WD and Blizzak tires, and can scout ahead if necessary. I can also use it to go for help or to stay warm if necessary.

I'll also have both the pickup and the bus serviced and inspected. I'll have a co-driver. I'm not in a hurry, so if conditions get bad, I can wait. Daylight is 0930 to 1630 on 29 January, but we gain another 6 minutes every day in Fairbanks and we'll be heading south. I'm going to install floodlights to give me the option of driving after dark, though I may decide not to.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #135
Bus Nut

Day 2:

I'm still pretty jetlagged and not used to the cold. A big part of today was doing Army, running through the scavenger hunt of getting my PCS orders. And, I put some work into getting my household goods ready to ship.

I also purchased a second Honda generator. I got some quotes for tires also. Alaska is expensive: $3000-4000 for a set of six tires installed!

Finally, I went to the RV lot (45 minutes each way from the house) and got the generator so that I can repair it. The throttle keeps sticking and needs to be replaced. I didn't bring any gloves and it was -26 degrees. Every 2-5 minutes of work, I got back in the truck to warm up. However, my pickup's heat doesn't really work at idle in the extreme cold, so I had to rev the engine up to get it to blow hot air.

At -26, just a few seconds of touching bare metal will cause "contact frostbite". It doesn't really hurt at first. It just feels cold, but when you let go, it feels like you held onto a match too long and burned your fingers. If it's mild, it just freezes a small amount of skin near the surface and heals quickly without permanent damage. If you touch bare metal more than a few seconds, though, you can freeze down into the deep tissue which can cause nerve damage or worse. Fortunately, even a thin piece of cloth can slow the heat transfer dramatically - I put a thin fleece hat over my hands to keep from injuring myself.

Another interesting thing about extreme cold is how brittle plastic can get - I had a mud guard in the engine compartment shatter with just a light touch today. A chunk about the size of my hand fell off - ultimately I don't think it's too important, but I made sure not to touch it anywhere else. My pickup has had a lot of plastic break too - last winter, the lever that reclines my seat and my center armrest snapped off, the handle broke that opens my tailgate, and all the buttons on my steering wheel broke. The sensor in my truck keeps malfunctioning in the cold too and thinks the door is open. Last night, the dome light stayed on and drained the battery too much to crank in just a couple hours.

I have a propane conversion kit on the bus generator, but the rubber hose was extremely stiff. I couldn't pull the generator out without disconnecting it. I removed the metal clamps and tried to disconnect the ends, but I couldn't pull or pry them off. I finally resorted to just cutting the hose because I was losing too much body heat to keep messing with it.

It's supposed to get to -50 in the coming days before warming up to positive temperatures next week.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #136
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126

I promise to never again complain about the cold.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #137
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
love reading your posts. Alaska was always my dream, a reason to buy a bus!

I visited santa this summer up in your town (well my kids did) then we headed up to the Dalton highway! pouring rain and mud but maybe next year.

I kept looking for a reason to stay there this winter, but with school for the kids and no reason presenting we flew back to VT and parked our bus in Anchorage for the winter. Head back mid june (cheap airfare bos-anc). Gonna spend at least 1 more whole summer in AK and then head down south with our bus.

The Alcan in the winter has to be the balls... Dark, desolute, cold with the heat full blast, can't wait to try it myself!
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #138
Bus Nut

Day 3:

It was -40 today. My truck wouldn't start this morning - it was plugged in overnight and the dome lights came on but nothing happened when I turned the key. I thought the battery didn't have enough juice to crank in the cold, so I brought it inside and put it between two space heaters for an hour. It didn't work, so I used Lyft to go into work. When I got back home, I figure out that the starter was frozen. A couple taps and it started right up.

I tried to get my truck into the shop for fluids and inspections, but everywhere in town is slammed because of the cold snap.

Today, I fixed my old generator - apparently I installed the throttle incorrectly when I put in my trifuel conversion kit. As a result, the engine was getting too much gasoline at idle. I cleaned the carburetor and replaced the spark plug. Both were completely coated with crud from my mistake. I also changed the oil with synthetic 5W20. I put down a thick rug to do all the work inside.

Unfortunately, my generator's battery froze in the cold earlier this winter. When fully charged, a battery's electrolyte won't freeze until about -76 fahrenheit. A fully discharged battery will freeze at +32 degrees. I'm not sure how much juice the battery had, but it clearly wasn't enough. Fortunately, a replacement battery is only about $20.

I also mostly emptied one of my storage rooms to consolidate prior to the move.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 PM   #139
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
I kept looking for a reason to stay there this winter, but with school for the kids and no reason presenting we flew back to VT and parked our bus in Anchorage for the winter. Head back mid june (cheap airfare bos-anc). Gonna spend at least 1 more whole summer in AK and then head down south with our bus.
This is the most incredible place. Fairbanks (population 34,000) had the shopping and services that a 100,000-person town would have in the lower 48. But, drive a few minutes out of town and it's just wilderness with no houses, powerlines, or signs that another human has ever been there before you.

This state is 2.5 times as big as Texas, but only has one city (Anchorage) and you can count the other towns with more than 10,000 people on one hand. Most of the state is inaccessible by vehicle, since there are only 12 highways on the state (numbered helpfully 1-12 although Alaskan only use their nicknames) and almost no other roads. Even so, the variety of wild beauty you can see from the road is incredible.

And, you can go camping almost anywhere, because it is almost all public land. Our favorite camping was in a canyon at Rainbow Ridge, just a few miles from the Richardson Monument. On a road trip, we got tired, so we turned off a random dirt road. The road went up a steep hill then descended into a canyon. A couple miles in, we parked under some trees, then explored and climbed with the kids until nightfall. In the morning, thousands of songbirds filled the canyon and the sound of all the different songs echoed from every direction.

If you get a chance, check out Wrangell St. Elias National Park, Prince William Sound, and the Kenai Peninsula.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:24 AM   #140
Bus Nut

Day 4:

-36 fahrenheit with ice fog today. I ordered some stuff from Amazon that was supposed to be delivered. Amazon used three different carriers, which makes little sense. They all sent updates within an hour of each other. The UPS driver came to the door, but the USPS and the Parcel Pool drivers claimed "there was a problem" and didn't deliver my packages. I'm not sure if they didn't find the place or if they just didn't want to walk 50 feet from the road in the extreme cold.

Most of the day was spent on an Army scavenger hunt, trying to get orders to clear - I got enough signatures to turn in my levy packet, but now need to wait 3 business days to get orders, then schedule a transportation brief, then schedule movers, then.... everything has to be done in the right sequence - if I was a lower rank or timid, I'd probably never be able to leave post.

I finally got fuel to test out the generators. The old one is running pretty rough - I tinkered with it for a while and spent a couple hours reading up, but I'm not sure why.

I also did a lot of packing - my living room is stacked with boxes now. I'll haul them to the storage place tomorrow, since this cabin is tiny enough without being full of boxes too.

Good news - I can get my bus in the Auto Skills Center! $5/hour per bay ($70 per day), plus $8 to leave it overnight to thaw. The bad news? I'll need to park across the three "flat bays" (all were used today), and I can only get in if nobody is parked right by the exit (3 cars were parked there today, even though the parking lot is large).

I'm going to wait for my Amazon orders to arrive, then change fluids, replace the glow plugs, and spray foam the ceiling. I'll probably do the rest of the work outside unless the weather turns bad again.