Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
Best insulation for wheel wells?

Next step is framing in the wheel wells. I have been reading on here and watching lots of YouTube videos. I have the framing concept but my question is for insulation. I have seen people use old school fiberglass insulation, I have seen spray foam and then someone had warped the well with the bubble wrap type insulation.
So, considering there are several options I am wondering what people chose and why. I’d rather not break the bank and I want something easy to work with. Thoughts?

witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We just layered in scraps, cut-offs, and odds & ends of foamboard from our wall insulating project to fill the cavity. We kinda "jigsaw puzzled" it in there and were able to get it packed in pretty well without too much loose insulation, I think. We didn't really overthink it too much. It was kind of a fun project, actually. I don't notice the wheel wells being any colder that any other areas really.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
probably more about noise reduction....
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We just layered in scraps, cut-offs, and odds & ends of foamboard from our wall insulating project to fill the cavity. We kinda "jigsaw puzzled" it in there and were able to get it packed in pretty well without too much loose insulation, I think. We didn't really overthink it too much. It was kind of a fun project, actually. I don't notice the wheel wells being any colder that any other areas really.
This sounds like a great way to us up your scraps! All bets are off if you use spray foam on the walls and ceiling though.

Really, frame up the wheel wells and put on the sides but keep the top open. When you have a scrap from the other insulation installation, get it into the wheel wells and slowly fill them up over time.

Some folks use up all the little spaces they can, so a drop-down cubby hole is made of the wheel well "corners".
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I would be thinking about using something that is good both thermally and acoustically to cut down on road noise. Mineral Wool or Cork for instance and maybe a layer of dynamat/fatmat/generic-equivalent.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote