Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Big motorcycles on the rear

I am a new user here, and have been searching the internet and forums to no avail. My wife and I are looking to build a bus conversion for our family. The catch: we both ride motorcycles, and they are baggers. Now, we are a family of 5, so even with a 40 ft bus (like we are planning), removing the back and storing the motorcycles inside the bus isn't an option. (Size, height, etc). Has anyone had any luck with a back porch that is strong enough to hold two motorcycles? (We still have a minivan to tow behind us too). Looking to see if it has been done, or is even doable. (It makes no sense to continuously be where the weather is great for riding without the bikes, lol).

DirtbagDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Doable, but increases the possibility of hitting surrounding objects with the overhang. I have seen people create a motorcycle garage in the back of a bus. I have seen it with a semi sleeper as well. You might also consider extending frame rails or modifying a trailer (if you tow a conventional vehicle for the occasional jaunt when traveling) to mount the motorcycles sideways where they could be unloaded independently.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
right, something like this would be a good solution, but you are going to have one very long rig if this is behind a 40ft bus, looks like the limit is 65ft, so the towed vehicle will need to be short. Or you can just drive the vehicle seperately and have IT tow the bikes.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
My current Skoolie is inadequate to the task of transporting my more recent HD FLHPI, so I'm browsing handi-capable busses ATM.
Even with a seriously beefed-up wheelchair ramp, I reckon on using my floor jack's wide load saddle to spin the bike 180° to get her safely and more comfortably back outta the bus!
Severity-dependant in the weight of your rides, it's doable: requiring a *very* stout platform, and calculation of the lever's effect on it's fulcrum whilst driving is pretty critical, IMO...

Tags
bagger, bus, conversion, motorcycles