Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Bluefire help

I purchased a bluefire for iOS. But the app is really flaky. Seems to work better on an old mini than it does on my iPad Air. Some say it works better on a android device but I was hoping to keep it on the mini.

Can anyone share their experiences with either? I have searched the forums and see some may have written their own programs? Or anyone have a dashboard they want to share?

From what I can tell so far only the basic stuff shows up in the app. Coolant temp, oil pressure, gas level, rpm, speed, transmission temp. While these should be enough I’m surprised more does not show up since I have a 2008.

dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
I purchased a bluefire for iOS. But the app is really flaky. Seems to work better on an old mini than it does on my iPad Air. Some say it works better on a android device but I was hoping to keep it on the mini.

Can anyone share their experiences with either? I have searched the forums and see some may have written their own programs? Or anyone have a dashboard they want to share?

From what I can tell so far only the basic stuff shows up in the app. Coolant temp, oil pressure, gas level, rpm, speed, transmission temp. While these should be enough I’m surprised more does not show up since I have a 2008.

What problems are you experiencing with the app? is it like malfunctioning, or just a subpar UI?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
The iOS app is really terrible, but at least it was functional for me - on one of my devices, anyway. I tried running it on my iPad, but the picker (for choosing which gauges you want to add to your custom dash) never appears so it's impossible.

I did get it running on my iPod Touch, but there it's really only functional if you keep the device in landscape (in portrait the title bar disappears and you have no way of backing out of the screen). I was able to set up a custom dashboard, and there should be a ton of different parameters you can add (I recommend adding text gauges instead of dials because they're a lot easier to move around the screen).

It's so awful I'm thinking of contacting them and offering to rewrite it. I could also build their stuff into a framework so custom apps could use it.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Skoolie

The iPad Air connects and disconnects. The mini loads the wrong dashboard and i have to customize dashboard and reload the default one I saved. Then I noticed it did not read rpms when i accelerated. I had to restart app before the rpms registered.

I’ve only just installed this thing. Maybe I should give it more time
Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
The iPad Air connects and disconnects. The mini loads the wrong dashboard and i have to customize dashboard and reload the default one I saved. Then I noticed it did not read rpms when i accelerated. I had to restart app before the rpms registered.

I’ve only just installed this thing. Maybe I should give it more time
Not me, I believe in judging software INSTANTLY.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those who judge instantly most generally judge innacurately.. the iOS app seems to like the older devices best though.. older as in older iOS versions.. iOS is really going downhill in the l;ast couple..

I have most experience with the windows version just because that was the easiest source code for me to modify and test..

I did run the iOS app on my ipad air which is a few versions of iOS back simply because some of the apps I use are obsolewte and would no longer function if I went up to iOS 13 so I left it at 12
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
My old iPad tops out at iOS 9.3, any experience with it on that old of a plaform?
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I have my BlueFire running on an Android tablet with no problems.

To get all the gauges I wanted, I had to turn on the J1708 and J1939 protocols. It seems that it is manufacturer dependent. Perhaps on a 2008 the J1708 protocol is not needed.

I have a few versions of my dashboard I can post if desired.

Here is a video of it in action:

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Skoolie

This is what I have right now. Good for me if the mini keeps running goodClick image for larger version

Name:	image-2020-10-09-17:24:34-154.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	49805
Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Almost There

Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,200lbs
Runs great on android! I also had to turn on both protocols to get everything working on my 8.3 Cummins ISC
Attached Thumbnails
20191231_152028.jpg  
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #11
Bus Geek

How do you turn on protocols with the app (iOS)? I can't find anything in the app that does that. My problem is that I'm not getting fuel tank data (I've tried all of them) or battery voltage in the app display ("NA" for all of these), although these work on the physical dashboard. I wonder if it's a protocols problems.

Another problem is that I'm starting to find that I need to close the dashboard and reopen it a few times to get everything to work. Initially the transmission temperature and the current gear never change until I reopen the dashboard once or twice.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
fuel data isnt recorded on an IH of your year.. the protocol is in the advanced setup screen if I remember right..

the fuelk gauge is simply a dash gauge and nothing sent to ECM.. I am not sure but you may be able to make a custom gauge to display it by the computer estimating gallons per hour used.. I havent tried.. i know on my silverleaf you can and its sort of ball-park accurate,
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
Almost There

Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,200lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
How do you turn on protocols with the app (iOS)? I can't find anything in the app that does that. My problem is that I'm not getting fuel tank data (I've tried all of them) or battery voltage in the app display ("NA" for all of these), although these work on the physical dashboard. I wonder if it's a protocols problems.

Another problem is that I'm starting to find that I need to close the dashboard and reopen it a few times to get everything to work. Initially the transmission temperature and the current gear never change until I reopen the dashboard once or twice.

The fuel tank gauge in the app does not actually read levels, but it does ready fuel flow, so in the settings you can add your fuel tank size, and then you have to tell the app whenever you fill up. Basically it just reads the gallons per hour fuel flow rate and does the math to determine how much is left in the tank. This is all under that setting screen, along with enabling the other protocol types.
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote