Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #41
Bus Nut

The vent is spring loaded and opens out

It is the drivers Ac.

Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Yeah; the bent piece of metal pipe at the outside of the piece is the handle. Grab-push-pull; all it does is open a hole in the bus to let air in. My 61 Econoline van had the same setup.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
The vent is spring loaded and opens out

It is the drivers Ac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Yeah; the bent piece of metal pipe at the outside of the piece is the handle. Grab-push-pull...
Thanks guys, so do folks use that vent much?

The driver side windows open both ways...

I could insulate and build over it...
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Yeah, you've got me thinking too. With the two fans, and massive driver's window, does the driver really need that additional vent? It might be nice to insulate it. Then again that's part of why I'm choosing to hang a big heavy curtain behind the driver's seat and make the driver's area more of a "mud room." I'd have to tear out everything up front to effectively insulate it, and I've still got the massive windshield, huge driver's window, and big door that just can't really be helped.

So mine will stay, but I think yours can go

FWIW I tried the push/pull, two hands, couldn't get it to open, and if my driver's seat was still installed, how would I even get down there and why would I want to?!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that vent comes in handy in the winter.. part of it may be piped through the defroster.. (on many busses it is)...

in summer I completely close and cover all my outside vents and just run the Air-Conditioner to stay cool(A/C is a better defogger than those outside vents)...

your driver window wont bring in much air.. it will create more of a negative pressure on your bus.. if you have front engine it will tend to suck sucj heat in from any cracks of the doghouse... if you arent going to run A/C, id keep that vent.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicifer View Post
Yeah, you've got me thinking too. With the two fans, and massive driver's window, does the driver really need that additional vent? It might be nice to insulate it. Then again that's part of why I'm choosing to hang a big heavy curtain behind the driver's seat and make the driver's area more of a "mud room." I'd have to tear out everything up front to effectively insulate it, and I've still got the massive windshield, huge driver's window, and big door that just can't really be helped.

So mine will stay, but I think yours can go

FWIW I tried the push/pull, two hands, couldn't get it to open, and if my driver's seat was still installed, how would I even get down there and why would I want to?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that vent comes in handy in the winter.. part of it may be piped through the defroster.. (on many busses it is)...

in summer I completely close and cover all my outside vents and just run the Air-Conditioner to stay cool(A/C is a better defogger than those outside vents)...

your driver window wont bring in much air.. it will create more of a negative pressure on your bus.. if you have front engine it will tend to suck sucj heat in from any cracks of the doghouse... if you arent going to run A/C, id keep that vent.

-Christopher
Got mine to open and close, seems to be in working condition, adds value, I will be keeping it.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #47
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
HA!! My 95 step van has that. Push the bar forward, air comes in from the front. Pull the bar, and it acts like an exhaust when you're driving down the road.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
HA!! My 95 step van has that. Push the bar forward, air comes in from the front. Pull the bar, and it acts like an exhaust when you're driving down the road.
Mystery solved...

Old 04-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
LOVE THE CAKE REFERENCE!!! Like Beck or Radiohead... one of the very few consistently cool veteran bands.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:09 AM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
LOVE THE CAKE REFERENCE!!! Like Beck or Radiohead... one of the very few consistently cool veteran bands.
Dude, who is Cake? That's right; I am calling you DUDE...
Old 04-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #51
Bus Nut

FWIW, I started a separate "Dashboard/Cockpit" rehab thread here. I am trying to break some of the work up into separate threads and will summarize overall progress here, whatever...

Here is a pic of the finished cockpit area floor.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #52
Bus Nut

I have finally started the process of removing and re-sealing all those big beautiful Gillig tinted window. This is a big deal for me because once I get the bus weathertight I can finish prepping the interior, and then on to the build.

I am currently removing the passenger side upper and lower exterior window trim; many of the fasteners were already stripped or would not budge, and had to be drilled out...

Here is what I found under the upper trim. It looks pretty bad, but I did not find any rust thru. I hope to get a sanding disc on these spots this weekend.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #53
Skoolie

Hey Rick,

As you know, my experience was almost identical when I pulled off that rain gutter.

While I believe it is salvageable, like the dash it is just not a great design and execution. If I were you, or anybody else converting a Gillig Phantom I would at least consider some kind of upgrade/alternative solution.

I've put plenty of work into getting my rain gutter sealed up and functioning, and I can tell you that it is currently preventing water from touching the tops of the windows, and that water is not getting trapped behind it contributing to rust again, but for how long that will last I'm not sure. I'll stay on top of that. For me, I wanted the stock bus, and I wanted to do less work.

But I used larger screws with a hex head to reinstall it, and regardless that gutter collects leaves, it pools and holds water, it traps pollen, and gets dirty. In a heavy rain, it doesn't function quite right and water pours off the sides in some locations. One of the places it's supposed to pour off all of the rain is right onto the edge of the front step! WTH!

I can't think of a good reason for a gutter, and something like the Bluebird "eylashes" protecting the windows, would be a preferable solution.

Just some food for thought. Good luck this weekend!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Quote:
Hey Rick,

As you know, my experience was almost identical when I pulled off that rain gutter.

While I believe it is salvageable, like the dash it is just not a great design and execution. If I were you, or anybody else converting a Gillig Phantom I would at least consider some kind of upgrade/alternative solution.

I've put plenty of work into getting my rain gutter sealed up and functioning, and I can tell you that it is currently preventing water from touching the tops of the windows, and that water is not getting trapped behind it contributing to rust again, but for how long that will last I'm not sure. I'll stay on top of that. For me, I wanted the stock bus, and I wanted to do less work.

But I used larger screws with a hex head to reinstall it, and regardless that gutter collects leaves, it pools and holds water, it traps pollen, and gets dirty. In a heavy rain, it doesn't function quite right and water pours off the sides in some locations. One of the places it's supposed to pour off all of the rain is right onto the edge of the front step! WTH!

I can't think of a good reason for a gutter, and something like the Bluebird "eylashes" protecting the windows, would be a preferable solution.

Justin, it sounds like you harbor a good deal of resentment against those rain gutters...

I will be re-using the crappy rain gutters too, but I agree, not a great design.

I removed my first window (the broken one) yesterday afternoon, and took it to the local glass shop. All the "glass guys" were out on jobs, so I'll have to wait until Monday to get a quote to replace the glass and replace the old worn out rubber.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Hey Rick,

I like the lip edge of the Amtran/IC design best.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I like the lip edge of the Amtran/IC design best.
The rain gutter on the Thomas is not an add-on piece. It's a continuous part of the roof so there really is nothing to leak.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
The rain gutter on the Thomas is not an add-on piece. It's a continuous part of the roof so there really is nothing to leak.
same with the ic.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I removed my first window (the broken one) yesterday afternoon, and took it to the local glass shop. All the "glass guys" were out on jobs, so I'll have to wait until Monday to get a quote to replace the glass and replace the old worn out rubber.
I got my window back today; $120 to replace a single pane of glass... The glass shop wasn't interested in doing any restoration work on the windows so I'm on my own, which is fine with me.

I went ahead and pulled out the rest of the passenger side windows; had to grind off a bunch more fasteners.

No rain in the short term forecast but just in case.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #59
Skoolie

I'm having a wild case of deja vu right now. Get it done Rick!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #60
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
ROOF RAISE!!

YOU are right there - and you will be happier later!!

Cheers,

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote