Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 AM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKS View Post
Any updates?!?!
James, the bus is still in work. Although it's been almost a year since I've been on the forum, since you asked...

Currently we are working on finishing up the ceiling. We are using these tongue and grove planks from Lowes.

Probably the biggest thing we did this summer was to finish the mini split install and get some AC on the bus.

I also used some more of the free oak I got from a fellow forum member to build this base for the wood stove.

We blocked off a bunch of windows. I used blackout tint on the windows before installing the plywood.

This pic shows most of it...

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #142
Almost There

Year: 2001
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
James, the bus is still in work. Although it's been almost a year since I've been on the forum, since you asked...

Currently we are working on finishing up the ceiling. We are using these tongue and grove planks from Lowes.

Probably the biggest thing we did this summer was to finish the mini split install and get some AC on the bus.

I also used some more of the free oak I got from a fellow forum member to build this base for the wood stove.

We blocked off a bunch of windows. I used blackout tint on the windows before installing the plywood.

This pic shows most of it...
I appreciate the update! I am about to start on a gillig phantom transit bus, so naturally I have been reading everything with the name gillig tied to it. I did have a good chuckle since I am at that phase of 10,000 ideas, yet I have been focusing a little on mini splits and potential ceiling boards.

How did you pick the mini split? There are so many choices! I am looking at the btu and have a decent understanding, but it appears as the seer rating goes up, so does the money. It is worth going for the high 30 range seer or will I regret not spending the extra bucks with a 22 seer unit? Also, I think I will be installing two units on my 40 ft bus.

I looked at those boards at Lowe's recently too, I ended up doing shiplap in my house bathroom remodel. I was trying to work out in my head if I could get by with the same technique. I glued all the edges and just shot nails in tongue end, came put super clean, but I probably need a more robust way to fasten them on a bus.
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:27 AM   #143
Bus Nut

Quote:
How did you pick the mini split? There are so many choices! I am looking at the btu and have a decent understanding, but it appears as the seer rating goes up, so does the money. It is worth going for the high 30 range seer or will I regret not spending the extra bucks with a 22 seer unit? Also, I think I will be installing two units on my 40 ft bus.
Honestly, I picked the mini split based on Juan's review. Juan is my hero; check out his electrical system.

Quote:
I looked at those boards at Lowe's recently too, I ended up doing shiplap in my house bathroom remodel. I was trying to work out in my head if I could get by with the same technique. I glued all the edges and just shot nails in tongue end, came put super clean, but I probably need a more robust way to fasten them on a bus.
For what it's worth, my process:
1. Furring strips were glued (with construction adhesive) and screwed to the steel cross members in the bus ceiling.
2. Planks were end cut to 45 degrees in an attempt to reduce gaps in ends of panels.
3. Construction adhesive was applied between the planks and the furring strips
4. Wood glue was applied to all "tongues and grooves"
5. Drywall screws were used to screw the planks into the furring strips.
5. Once everything was dry, all drywall screws were removed and every other plank was scewed into the metal ceiling cross member with the Tek screws below.

The furring strips are strips of 5mm plywood, glued and screwed to the steel tube cross members in the bus ceiling.

I have used a lot of these self-tapping Tek screws. As you can see, the screws have a "fast penetrating point"...
Old 10-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #144
Almost There

Thanks for link to Juan's build, that has been a fun couple of hours! Great find!

I appreciate you sharing your process, it makes sense and sounds like it will work great. I cant wait to get the bus home and torn apart so I can get going on all of the fun. Yesterday, I rented a skid steer to spread out the 1"-3" rock that was dropped off in hopes the 30k lb bus wont sink in my back yard. The phantom should be coming home today around 3.

Thanks again for the pointers!
Old 10-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #145
Bus Nut

~140 ceiling planks installed and primed.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #146
Almost There

Lookin good!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #147
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Great progress Rick!

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #148
Bus Nut

One roof hatch trimmed out...

One hatch to go...
Old 10-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #149
Bus Nut

The ceiling is finally done including installation and wiring of 16 (of 20) LED lights.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:25 AM   #150
Bus Nut

So I got some new BT speakers, specifically for the bus. I have an aging JBL Extreme which I still love and use in my office. I came across these Turtleboxes while perusing Amazon; they were not free but they ARE the bus' audio system. My review of the speakers is here.

Wife wants me to mount them on either side of the AC as per below pic. Reinstalling freshly painted metal doors sounds a lot easier, but she may be right, maybe...

Putting the speakers on the back shelf and going thru a simple EQ app (highly recommend an EQ app) made for a surprisingly good listening experience. Plan to use this Smart Core (pronounced "smaht coh...") vinyl flooring for many surfaces.

I am currently finishing up the design for a shelving unit around and above the rear window. There will be a long open shelf above the rear window, the speakers could go there. I am hoping for a productive winter with electricity, heat, music. My new goal is to have the interior "mostly complete" by spring, and then to get the bus on the road next summer.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #151
Bus Nut

Finishing up the front door, see door thread here.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Still some work to be done, but the rear deck is coming along.

The strip of skinny plywood across the back of the ceiling will be painted to match the ceiling before being permanently installed.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:05 AM   #153
Bus Nut

So after almost three years I finally have a wall. In an effort to finish building/trimming out the bedroom area, I mocked up the shower and shower wall this weekend. The shower wall will be finished in raw corrugated tin.

The bed base is also started. Once the base is built, a hinged bunkie board will be mounted on top.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #154
Almost There

I like it. Its at that stage that its about to come together very nicely. The work is looking good and the design is working out. Good job!

Quick question, would you do the boat hatches again?
Old 12-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #155
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quick question, would you do the boat hatches again?
James, I can’t imagine life without the boat hatches... Yes, I love the hatches, especially compared to the original emergency hatches.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #156
Almost There

Quote:
James, I can’t imagine life without the boat hatches... Yes, I love the hatches, especially compared to the original emergency hatches.

Thanks! I was afraid of that.

I will be keeping an eye out for some.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:38 AM   #157
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks! I was afraid of that.

I will be keeping an eye out for some.
The only issue may be ventilation. Gillagan Phantom has a similar bus with similar hatches to mine (in fact I copied him...). He and his family are actually living on their bus. Type them into your favorite search engine and you can get some actual “field experience” regarding the hatches.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #158
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Those hatches look great. They fit in a 24"x24" opening? I'm in the DIY process of turning my original hatch into something like this, by cutting out most of the inner portion and riveting a piece of Lexan to the top.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #159
Almost There

Quote:
The only issue may be ventilation. Gillagan Phantom has a similar bus with similar hatches to mine (in fact I copied him...). He and his family are actually living on their bus. Type them into your favorite search engine and you can get some actual “field experience” regarding the hatches.
I should probably go bump their thread to ask, I have watched all of their videos on youtube. Thanks again man!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:16 AM   #160
Bus Nut

Here is a pic of the previously mentioned bunkie board.

In this pic the window trim is complete (except for filling screw holes...) As shown, the trim was designed to hold Reflectix inserts. It will also hold window screens (once I build them).

The antique desk was in my parents bedroom when I was growing up; like me, it’s pretty old. It fits the space well and will serve as wife’s makeup/girly desk. The lid (not attached in pic) opens to make a desk. A TV will be mounted to the wall above the desk.