Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
After hearing what a pain it was for Justin, I was contemplating leaving the green rubber floor, and just putting the subfloor over it.

However, I had a little time to spend in the bus today, so I figured I would clean it up inside and maybe remove the metal trim rails on the floor. One thing led to another and I just started pulling it up...

Not a bad start but still a lot more to go. I will feel better when it's out.

All I used was a flat pry bar. For the next round I may try some heat.

Haha!! That's exactly how it happens and once you start, you just can't see yourself stopping. It sounds like it's coming up pretty easily for you. I bet if you try the heat, you won't regret it! But, seems like you're rocking through it anyway. You will not regret removing it.

Thanks for outlining your HVAC plans. Sounds like you've got every base covered for heat!! Your electrical work on that Volt battery is so, so over my head!!! I'm going to try and learn as much as I can from it as I follow along.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:29 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicifer View Post
Haha!! That's exactly how it happens and once you start, you just can't see yourself stopping. It sounds like it's coming up pretty easily for you. I bet if you try the heat, you won't regret it! But, seems like you're rocking through it anyway. You will not regret removing it.
The rest of the old rubber floor came out this weekend. I continued using the flat pry bar and it came up fairly easily. Don't get me wrong it was a very physical job but it was not mission impossible.

The plywood subfloor itself is in pretty solid shape

This was the only problem area I found; not too bad

We went to Lowes to look into some products to use on the bus. We decided on the below flooring. Its beautiful stuff and completely waterproof.

And finally, we ordered two boat hatches; they are Vetus Libero Escape Hatch LIB6255. We got the two for $600 total delivered, pretty sweet. The required cutout is 24 7/16" so they should fit perfectly with no mods to the hole; fingers crossed. Thanks to Justin for the inspiration.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1987
I'm so glad you found such a GREAT deal on hatches! Those dimensions are perfect, you're gonna love em.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
Bus Nut

My wood stove and install kit were delivered this week. FWIW, my experience with the folks at TinyWoodStoves has been first rate. I am looking forward to finishing up the demo work and re-sealing all those windows so I can actually start building this bus...

For now the stove will remain mocked up in my living room.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #25
Bus Nut

I am still trying to get the layout right. Once Lisa and I actually started taping things out in the bus, it became clear that the initial design would not work, particularly in the bedroom area.

So this is V2. The bathroom vanity/sink is gone, also I am now not sure where to put the fresh water tank. I am not sure I like the idea of putting it under the bed. I had wanted to put it in the living space to eliminate any possibility of freezing, but it may now have to go in the cargo bay...

Futon and kitchen appliances and layout are notional. Couch will likely be a custom built-in with storage and able to convert into a bed. Anybody got any good couch designs?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #26
Bus Nut

I finally got around to pulling the driver seat out and tearing the dashboard apart.

A few before pics:

And a few pics of the scary mess it is now:

Old 03-31-2018, 09:59 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

FWIW, I'm not seeing the pictures in the previous post. Not sure why; they're coming n
in from googleusercontent.com. Would that be associated with Google Drive, which I have a lot of problems with trying to share stuff with named users?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
FWIW, I'm not seeing the pictures in the previous post. Not sure why; they're coming n
in from googleusercontent.com. Would that be associated with Google Drive, which I have a lot of problems with trying to share stuff with named users?
I can see only 2 out of 4.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I can see only 2 out of 4.
Thank you both for letting me know.

Let me try again, please let me know if you can see these pics.

Before pic 1:

Before pic 2:

Dash demo pic 1:

Dash demo pic 2:
Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I can see them

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Me too. Damn 10 character limit!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

I do not see any of the "mess" pictures of the dash.
GW
GWinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinKS View Post
I do not see any of the "mess" pictures of the dash.
GW
I reposted the mess pics as demo 1 and 2; can you see them?

I picked up a new driver seat today from a dude on CL. It's out of a MK5 VW Jetta; $80.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
What are your plans for the dash and gauge panel? Will you make your own panel, or buy something ready-made, or use one from another vehicle, or what? I admire your fearless determination with this project! Gilligs are great buses, but their dashes are messy and cluttered-looking, so it's worth replacing them with something cleaner-looking. While you're at it, why not add some more gauges - you can't have too much information! (I've now got fourteen in the front, plus another nine back in the engine room!)

Good luck, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
What are your plans for the dash and gauge panel? Will you make your own panel, or buy something ready-made, or use one from another vehicle, or what? I admire your fearless determination with this project! Gilligs are great buses, but their dashes are messy and cluttered-looking, so it's worth replacing them with something cleaner-looking. While you're at it, why not add some more gauges - you can't have too much information! (I've now got fourteen in the front, plus another nine back in the engine room!)
John, thank you for your comments. I agree completely regarding the Gillig's dash; for such a great bus it has disappointing dash. And my dash in particular was a real mess.

I plan to build a custom wood dash that will hopefully match the finish of the rest of the woodwork in the bus.

I have 15 new rocker switches coming from here. They should be pretty nice with backlighting and custom etched labels.

You have 14 gauges up front, wow that's a lot of gauges! I thought I was going overboard with 10 gauges in the dash. I just placed an order last night with Speedhut for a new set of gauges. The below illustration is a concept, but I will need to do some mockups in the bus to really figure out the layout. The gauges I chose are the following:
1. Tachometer
2. Speedometer (GPS with turn and high beam indicators)
3. Quad gauge with:
a. Fuel
b. Volts
c. Water temp
d. Oil pressure
4. Air pressure
5. EGT temp
6. Engine oil temp
7. Trans temp

I am super excited (and a little nervous) about these gauges; they should be beautiful. All the gauges come with new sensors and have custom programmable high and low warning lights.

Among my goals for the dash were: 1) minimize the need for individual dash mounted warning lights, and 2) eliminate the need to have any labeling on the dash (in other words, all switches and warning lights should be self explanatory).

The switches will be here this week, but there is a 4-5 week production lead time on the gauges so I will have some time to get that dash/drivers area cleaned up and ready, and get the design worked out.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Currently working on getting the new driver seat ready for (temporary) installation. Documenting it here.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
John, thank you for your comments. I agree completely regarding the Gillig's dash; for such a great bus it has disappointing dash. And my dash in particular was a real mess.

I plan to build a custom wood dash that will hopefully match the finish of the rest of the woodwork in the bus.

I have 15 new rocker switches coming from here. They should be pretty nice with backlighting and custom etched labels.

You have 14 gauges up front, wow that's a lot of gauges! I thought I was going overboard with 10 gauges in the dash. I just placed an order last night with Speedhut for a new set of gauges. The below illustration is a concept, but I will need to do some mockups in the bus to really figure out the layout. The gauges I chose are the following:
1. Tachometer
2. Speedometer (GPS with turn and high beam indicators)
3. Quad gauge with:
a. Fuel
b. Volts
c. Water temp
d. Oil pressure
4. Air pressure
5. EGT temp
6. Engine oil temp
7. Trans temp

I am super excited (and a little nervous) about these gauges; they should be beautiful. All the gauges come with new sensors and have custom programmable high and low warning lights.

Among my goals for the dash were: 1) minimize the need for individual dash mounted warning lights, and 2) eliminate the need to have any labeling on the dash (in other words, all switches and warning lights should be self explanatory).

The switches will be here this week, but there is a 4-5 week production lead time on the gauges so I will have some time to get that dash/drivers area cleaned up and ready, and get the design worked out.

Ooohh, those gauges are lovely! Will the air pressure warning work with it or does it have its own? I should re-do my entire dash. It's a hot mess but I have less than one clue about electrical anything. Sigh.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Ooohh, those gauges are lovely! Will the air pressure warning work with it or does it have its own? I should re-do my entire dash. It's a hot mess but I have less than one clue about electrical anything. Sigh.
I can't wait... If you go to their website you can custom design your own gauges; it' fun...

The air pressure gauge has a programmable low (and/or high) pressure warning light. I intend to use only that waning light.

The particular gauge I ordered is this one. It's a generic pressure gauge; on the gauge face I had them replace the word "PRESS" with the word "AIR".

Another nice feature of this gauge is that it comes with a sending unit so no air hose attaches to the gauge itself.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
SpeedHut makes some good products. The GPS speedo for my bike showed up today.
Attached Thumbnails
20180412_193443.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #40
Bus Nut

So I've been working on an entrance door solution that will allow me to retain the original door but allow it to function like a real house front door. I have some pieces of aluminum being shipped this week that should help me get it done. The door mod will be documented here.

In the meantime I have been continuing to clean up the dashboard/cockpit in anticipation of receiving my new gauges.

Here are a few under dash pics.

I pulled the gas peddle up to clean all the crud out of it...

I am considering pulling out the floor mounted panel with the high beam and air horn switches and just putting the switches on the dash. It would make the floor flat and eliminate places for crud to hide...

The driver side bulkhead is cleaning up well. I am a little concerned with what looks like a power wire and terminal just sitting there unprotected. I will be protecting it with something...

And finally, can someone tell me about this vent (I assume it's a vent)?? It is located in the very front of the driver side bulkhead. It doesn't have any controls or any way to open/close or manipulate it.

The outside of the vent can be seen here in front of the "17".