Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #81
Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Fastlane is now Inner Love.

Note to mods: please rename thread title from “Building My Fastlane” to “Inner Love”.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #82
Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Bought Citri-Strip gel and paste yesterday. Even if I knew the right chemical to strip paint only, it would most likely be a tedious, arduous process to strip only the paint, leaving the primer, and I would have no guarantees of quality of the original primers bond with my new paint. If that chemical existed, it would probably be expensive too. I just thought it would be neat not to expose the metal and keep the tough 1980 primer.

I am doing test patches to see just how thick of a coat of citri-strip is needed to strip to bare metal as money is that tight right now.

This is going to be my permanent primer so I want to prep the metal right. Keep in mind I have not picked, much less bought my paint and primer. I don’t know what will be available, as manufacturers are temporarily unable to produce products because they don’t have the inputs needed from their suppliers. I hope temporary doesn’t become permanent as it would mean a cascading collapse of our industrial civilization.

I am going to the Kelly Moore in Santa Clara, where they have industrial and commercial paints. However, if you can personally recommend a place in the South Bay with a good selection of tractor paints and enamels, I’m all ears.

Going to use Metal Prep (the blue colored product), after a random orbit sanding pass with 220 grit sanding discs. I never want the paint or primer to separate from Inner Love, unless I want it to.

Please post links to good guides you’ve used for primer prep, with a focus on using industrial primer. Meanwhile I’m going to look on YouTube.

I am going to give the exterior of Inner Love a full scrub and wash, including using my surface cleaner on the roof and semi flat surfaces.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 PM   #83
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
If you have the time and energy for it, just sand all of it down to bare metal, then clean with acetone or whatever your primer recommends before priming.
However, if you aren't spraying, then you won't be happy with your end result anyway, so you might as well save time and lightly sand the original paint just enough so that your paint can stick, wipe with acetone, and paint away. Skip the primer if you aren't sanding to bare metal.
I'm not an expert and probably wrong.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-miser, first bus, inner love, skoolie build, work smart then hard