Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International 3800
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Arrow Bus 732 (or) The Horse with No Name Build

Like many, we've always been intrigued by the tiny home, and thought it were a cool concept. Being a family with a small child, we thought it not feasible nor ideal, with the lack of room for our young one.

We reside on the gulf coast in the state of MS and frequent Florida beaches with regularity. (The beaches here are simply foul at best). Being that we frequent the beach, I came up with the thought that we needed a camper, just stay out at the camp grounds when we visited. Save a few dollars vs the cost of the high dollar hotels.

During the camper hunt, I came to the conclusion that it could be just as costly as a hotel, as storing the camper at the camp ground all month, all year, carried with it just as high a cost, hence, no real savings.

After pondering the possibilities of it all, I decided hey, I can save money by simply storing the camper at a storage facility, at minimal monthly expense. While saving money this way, I would now incur additional cost, by way of having a vehicle to tow the camper back and forth to the campground. So I would have storage charge, campground charge, and now, a vehicle note.

After much pondering, I decided, ultimately, i'd be best with a self contained unit, which could move under its own power. Drive from point a to point b and when done with point b, return to point a, and move on with life.

And viola ... the bus idea was born. Not only a vehicle, but a self contained unit. Capable of delivering us where we needed to be, and providing us with a place to grub, shower, and sleep. We can opt to boondock it, or, enjoy the amenities of a campground. The perfect solution.

Granted, a bus, converting thereof, carries with it an expense all its own, but in the end, once said and done, will bring us theoretically, a savings, but most importantly, the making of memories together, that we build together.

I digress ... I bring you "Bus 732" (or) currently, The Horse (iron) with no name:

A 1999 International 3800 T444E, 7.3L Diesel, Auto, PS, AC, Air Brakes.

Auction fresh, and recently won via auction with bus coming direct from district, am anxious to get her picked up, on the road, and back home in the coming days, so the fun times can begin. We'll of course update the thread as we progress, with action shots, failures, successes, and what im sure will be, plenty of laughs.

Horse with no Name Video

Nice to meet ya, appreciate all the insight of posts, past and future!
Attached Thumbnails
4b.jpg   4d.jpg   4f.jpg   4e.jpg   4g.jpg  

4j.jpg   4a.jpg  

Sraycwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I thought of the America song as soon as I saw the title. Good choice of name (or lack thereof, LOL)...

Looks like a nice find. I would find out which transmission it has ASAP. The AT545 is a bit weak, the MT643 / 2000 / MD6030 are much better. Here is some info I've gleaned from the site and other posts to help in identifying....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison Trans.png
Views:	5
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	43599
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allison 2000 - MD6030 ID.png
Views:	3
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	43600
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I thought of the America song as soon as I saw the title. Good choice of name (or lack thereof, LOL)...

Looks like a nice find. I would find out which transmission it has ASAP. The AT545 is a bit weak, the MT643 / 2000 / MD6030 are much better. Here is some info I've gleaned from the site and other posts to help in identifying....

Attachment 43599
Attachment 43600
Thank ya sir. I'm itching to know the trans as well. If its a 545, may take a little longer to get back to the hacienda than originally anticipated, which is ok. I plan to take it easy and not push the unknown on its initial voyage.

With that said, we'll not really be doing many adventurous trips with it once it's all complete. It'll primarily just be shuttled back and forth from the storage lot out to the beach and back until the next time around. Lots of flat, hot roads, in our area, lol. Thank god for AC!

Appreciate the reference guide as well. I think Ive got the OP bookmarked here on the build PC. Amazing how much information can be gleaned from this site.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
If you weren't already familiar with the process, I would recommend doing a fluid analysis all around. Can give you a good idea of a clean bill of health for your bus.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
If you weren't already familiar with the process, I would recommend doing a fluid analysis all around. Can give you a good idea of a clean bill of health for your bus.
An excellent idea, and on the "to do" list.

I had planned to fly out to Dallas tomorrow, to pick up the bus, got an email from good ol American airlines that my flight was canceled. Great. The options available for the day put me in after hours of the bus barn, so new flight scheduled for Thursday am.

Hopefully AA won't cancel this go around. #goodtimes
Old 04-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I should have named my bus "Never Gonna Give You Up".
Old 04-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
There is a data tag on the side (passenger side) of the transmission which will tell what model trans it is.

If it is an AT 545 since this bus is not a big one, and it sounds like shorter trips for you, it could do well if not pushed hard. And yes fluid analysis is a good idea
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus 732, t444e