Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 09:56 PM   #1

Bus Build Options

Hi! Trying to weigh our options because of urgency.
We're selling our house and whether is due to miscalculations in our heads or over confidence, because of how expensive the market is (thus making selling good and buying a bit sucky) the original plan was, sell, buy smaller house with bigger land, then get bus. With the cost of housing, financially it would be easier to use the profits to get a bus either built or partially built to the point of the family "roughing" it but not terribly. Then we can travel around USDA areas and house hunt for smaller homes along the way since we will hopefully have enough left over if we plan well.

I was wondering if anyone has used building companies such as RollingLiving (who I see sees to be a fave on this board) or Phoenix Skool Buses for full conversions? How pricey did it get? What was the turn around time if there is no rush placed on the request?

I know it will be cheaper to do ourselves but with everything going on and our inexperience with piping for the fresh and grey water as well as electricity (want/need solar but its daunting) - how costly is it to get a contractor to do them and after the fact is it the same price as having a pro do the conversion for us? Wood work and stuff I have no problem with, the metal work and roof raise I definitely need help with but

I have been combing through the boards but feel like my heads spinning so I apologize for any repeat info!! Thank you!

rval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Rval, I'm Ross of the rollingliving. While I've done lots of full conversions since 2015, I'm not in a position to take on any more long projects like that now. I'm pretty much sticking to 2-3 week things, like roof raises or solar/electrical installations or other shorter projects. But I can say that a full conversion generally isn't cheap. One popular company in Washington says their builds start at $100,000...and I'm actually fixing some of their crappy electrical work. And another crappy builder in Texas also charged $80-100,000 for their builds...again, poorly done.

I'll still gladly do a roof raise. I like those and can get them knocked out in a couple of weeks, start to finish. I was charging $200/foot (front to back roofline) but things like steel and rivets and everything has gone up...so right now I'm at $240/foot. I tell you this for transparency and for budgeting, not to pimp for work.

Everyone has a different plan and philosophy for their build. Personally, I don't like to hide wiring and pipes in walls...so I'll go to pains to do that after the walls are in. My friends Yvan and Sylvie Lacroix share that preference, too, and you should watch their Lacroix Cruiser channel on YouTube. You might find that concept works for you and lets you do a lot of the work, then hire help putting in the electrical and plumbing.

Keep us posted on your plans and progress!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hi Rval, I'm Ross of the rollingliving. While I've done lots of full conversions since 2015, I'm not in a position to take on any more long projects like that now. I'm pretty much sticking to 2-3 week things, like roof raises or solar/electrical installations or other shorter projects...
Thank you Ross! Your video about the whole idling myth was actually the first time I heard about you then saw you all over the forum - thank you for always being so insightful. Thank you for the update re: conversions. I know it won't be cheap over all, I am also worried about rust since we are on the east coast and a lot of the rigs here haven't been moved in a while according to their listings, but still on the lookout! My biggest concern is electrical & solar, I think I can maze around some pipes but not trying to burn anything down by accident with crap wiring!
Old 03-23-2023, 12:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
It's an unfortunate state of the world now - custom builders are exiting the game because its just too costly to do quality good work and still turn a reasonable profit for their time.

I built my entire party bus fleet single handedly and did a few buses for some other companies with similar business models (that were out of state and not really competitors to me). It didn't take long to earn a reputation for doing quality work at fair prices and the requests came pouring in... but those first few I did on slim margins really weren't worth the amount of time it took me, especially once I let slip to my insurance agent what I was doing and he informed me of my existing policy exclusions (and what it would cost to cover my rear properly should something go awry). I still get requests by referral even though I removed the facebook page and website listing my services.

Point is - be sure to vet any company you're looking at for custom work because if they're affordable they might wind up being a Lone Star Skoolie or Epic Skoolie type of company. Not to say there aren't still quality builders out there - but for every one good one there's at least 10 bad ones.
Attached Thumbnails
partybus1.PNG  
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:45 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Don't forget "skoolie homes" in Kingsport TN. They're to be avoided. Shoddy work and they actually came on here to troll some of us.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Scheduling & Time

Hello, rval. Welcome to skoolie.net.

The first sentence of your introduction included the word Urgency.

Builders typically schedule prospective contracts far in advance. I'm (an Electrical Contractor) quoting 90 to 180 days for starting new construction & remodels.
Quality coach & skoolie builders are likely advanced booked 6 months or more.

While the required time to complete a full-time skoolie may vary, achieving a move in ready build typically take 3-5 times longer than owners have predicted. Expense estimates are laughably lower than the actual ($400+/per sf) spent to finish.

● How many months remain before you intend to depart on your journey?

● Is an already completed or near complete skoolie an option?

The expense of labor & materials, for new construction, are not lowered over time. They always increase. Used skoolies are often sold at a loss. Owner's are generally not compensated for their labor, while the finished product is sold for less than the sum of its parts.

Purchacing a used DIY build may save your family both time & expense.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:36 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
It's an unfortunate state of the world now - custom builders are exiting the game because its just too costly to do quality good work and still turn a reasonable profit for their time.

I built my entire party bus fleet single handedly and did a few buses for some other companies with similar business models (that were out of state and not really competitors to me). It didn't take long to earn a reputation for doing quality work at fair prices and the requests came pouring in... but those first few I did on slim margins really weren't worth the amount of time it took me, especially once I let slip to my insurance agent what I was doing and he informed me of my existing policy exclusions (and what it would cost to cover my rear properly should something go awry). I still get requests by referral even though I removed the facebook page and website listing my services.

Point is - be sure to vet any company you're looking at for custom work because if they're affordable they might wind up being a Lone Star Skoolie or Epic Skoolie type of company. Not to say there aren't still quality builders out there - but for every one good one there's at least 10 bad ones.
you build party busses like my buddy does.. simple and functional.. seems to work the best... we use rubber floor in his and I air-condition them.. but similar design.. rubber floor simply because no matter what.. someone will chunk in the bus...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Hello, rval. Welcome to skoolie.net.

The first sentence of your introduction included the word Urgency.

Builders typically schedule prospective contracts far in advance. I'm (an Electrical Contractor) quoting 90 to 180 days for starting new construction & remodels.
Quality coach & skoolie builders are likely advanced booked 6 months or more.

While the required time to complete a full-time skoolie may vary, achieving a move in ready build typically take 3-5 times longer than owners have predicted. Expense estimates are laughably lower than the actual ($400+/per sf) spent to finish.

● How many months remain before you intend to depart on your journey?

● Is an already completed or near complete skoolie an option?

The expense of labor & materials, for new construction, are not lowered over time. They always increase. Used skoolies are often sold at a loss. Owner's are generally not compensated for their labor, while the finished product is sold for less than the sum of its parts.

Purchacing a used DIY build may save your family both time & expense.
Definitely looking for one that meets our needs first, I tend to work in a worst case mindset when feeling rushed, we do have about a year and i am definitely willing to travel/meet halfway/pay more for transport for the right one, but here on east coast theres a lot of campers short bus conversions and not a lot of midsize, guess i'm learning how to drive a 40 footer cause theres loads of them for sale and most the only change we'd need to make is bunk beds for the boys
Old 03-23-2023, 09:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rval View Post
Definitely looking for one that meets our needs first, I tend to work in a worst case mindset when feeling rushed, we do have about a year and i am definitely willing to travel/meet halfway/pay more for transport for the right one, but here on east coast theres a lot of campers short bus conversions and not a lot of midsize, guess i'm learning how to drive a 40 footer cause theres loads of them for sale and most the only change we'd need to make is bunk beds for the boys
Have you considered a Wanderlodge? Its the best of both skoolie and RV worlds. Available in 33' to 45' variations. I have a 35 footer.
If you can drive a 30 footer you can drive a 40 footer.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Have you considered a Wanderlodge? Its the best of both skoolie and RV worlds. Available in 33' to 45' variations. I have a 35 footer.
If you can drive a 30 footer you can drive a 40 footer.
Ooooh thanks for the suggestion, its pretty too! Will keep an eye out for it as well
Old 03-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rval View Post
Ooooh thanks for the suggestion, its pretty too! Will keep an eye out for it as well
Check out the wanderlodge for sale group on Facebook if you can. Lots of great folks and nice rigs on there.
Just saw a 36 foot rear engine in pristine condition listed on there.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Rated Cap: ~72
I have no more than a suspicion.

But someone who thinks 1 year is urgent must be an engineer.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #13
Traveling

This seems ill conceived to me.

If you're set on doing this, buy a finished bus, Wanderlodge, (saw one in Sacramento for sale for under $40k) or a motor home.

To me, your math isn't working out.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:56 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
The LM System Of Vehicle Living:
* acquire a likely candidate
* toss in some car-camping gear
* go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
Building then using risks forcing the adventure to fit the rig.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:57 AM   #15
Bus Geek

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...40Qm2hgfxyFi-UPeople been blindly handing over 100's of thousands to "skoolie builders".

Tags
advice wanted, new build