Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I dunno what that means.

You're not off grid are you? Does it make a difference?

You're always on the road and using that alternator. Is 200 amp big enough? Is there bigger? To do it over again, ...

i have 2 busses.. the DEV bus is the one set up as a mobile Tech Development lab.. I named it DEV RANDOM..

I do park the bus and work out of it.. so thats when the batteries come into play.. sure when im driving the alternator is running anything I have turned on., my big power user is the A/C when the bus is shut off... when im driving that load is gone as im running off of the engine-driven A/C then.. so the 200 amp has always been big enough to do the job...

to do it over again I'd gut the bus, replace the floors ,insulate the ceiling, and tint the windows.... electrically ive got exactly what I need.. and I could add a 3rd house battery if I run down the batteries too quickly.
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my big power user is the A/C when the bus is shut off...
Fridge, heat, hot water? Cells and laptops wouldn't need a lot.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Quote:
Fridge, heat, hot water? Cells and laptops wouldn't need a lot.
I dont camp so no water, heat I use the Webasto heater which is Diesel fired and then its just a bus heater fan to blow the heat(the webasto heats the coolant).. frig is just a little cubie.. it doesnt take too much..

I usually only strop for a couple hours at a time. if im over-nighting im in a hotel so everything is shut off.

-Christopher
Old 03-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #64
Bus Geek

I dunno if you can be considered a Skoolie of you don't sleep on board!!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Quote:

hmmm.. the little thing under my name says im a 'Bus Geek' thats really the perfect fit for me.. im just really into school buses ..

Ive tossed an air mattress on the floor of the bus and slept for a couple hours before...

I really just like driving , working on, and doing cool stuff with school buses, meeting cool people that are into skoolies..
-Christopher
Old 03-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I have my 2 main starting batteries.. and then have an isolated set of 2 AGM deep cycle batteries... since they are isolated the main bus batteries wont get run down when using my AGM's..

if I do decide i want all 4 batteries to do the job, either for helping to start the bus, or in the event I want all 4 running inside equipment, I can throw a manual switch to tie all 4 together...

I could easily see where you might want 5 batteries.. im guessing they will isolate some of them to not kill all 5..
-Christopher
That is exactly what we are doing. 2 for the bus and 3 for the house.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
kflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
To me a "skoolie" is anyone re-purposing a school bus for whatever.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
hmmm.. the little thing under my name says im a 'Bus Geek' thats really the perfect fit for me.. im just really into school buses ..

Ive tossed an air mattress on the floor of the bus and slept for a couple hours before...

I really just like driving , working on, and doing cool stuff with school buses, meeting cool people that are into skoolies..
-Christopher
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Edit: The below statement is probably incorrect, Thank you to BrewerBob for calling me out.

I'm only speaking with no experience, but isn't there some reason that using odd number batteries that's not ideal? I'm totally pulling BS from some distant memories, but I thought it was something about how the electrical draw on the batteries becomes unbalanced and it will discharge batteries unevenly, leading to imbalanced voltage, which will make the batteries slowly discharge themselves in an attempt to balance out the unbalanced voltages. I could totally be wrong or misunderstand, I'm no electrical expert.

Nice storage extensions though, I'm going to study your framework today for inspiration!
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
I'm only speaking with no experience, but isn't there some reason that using odd number batteries that's not ideal? I'm totally pulling BS from some distant memories, but I thought it was something about how the electrical draw on the batteries becomes unbalanced and it will discharge batteries unevenly, leading to imbalanced voltage, which will make the batteries slowly discharge themselves in an attempt to balance out the unbalanced voltages. I could totally be wrong or misunderstand, I'm no electrical expert.

Nice storage extensions though, I'm going to study your framework today for inspiration!
I believe you are correct, ... in that it's total BS being pulled from the nether regions.

Batteries tied in parallel will all see the same voltage and will have equal current draw. Now if you went stupid with wiring with WAY different lengths/resistances you could cause some problems.

My guess is you're remembering speakers and unbalanced impedance. Impedance equals resistance at a particular frequency.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Thank you for calling me out, I resign my prior statement.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Nah it's a fair question or a non electronics geek.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #73
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Edit: The below statement is probably incorrect, Thank you to BrewerBob for calling me out.

Electrical Engineer here (hi guys! first post!). TAOLIK, you're actually quite correct. No battery is ever identical to another - there will always be a "weaker" or "weakest" one. When batteries are connected in parallel, the "weaker" or "weakest" battery will pull down all other batteries (and also won't let the stronger batteries charge fully which can cause problems like shortened lifespan). However, if you connect them via battery isolators (nothing more than a big diode - a one-way valve for electricity), then the weak battery won't pull down the strong batteries.

Now, should you have a charge/load controller that has terminals for multiple batteries, then it will act as the isolator so you don't have to have separate battery isolators. The controller will also be able to charge the batteries to their full capacities.

Now, if you connect your batteries in series then this whole "battery isolator" issue "goes away" - which is why series is generally more recommended than parallel if batteries need to be combined.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Electrical Engineer here (hi guys! first post!). TAOLIK, you're actually quite correct. No battery is ever identical to another - there will always be a "weaker" or "weakest" one. When batteries are connected in parallel, the "weaker" or "weakest" battery will pull down all other batteries (and also won't let the stronger batteries charge fully which can cause problems like shortened lifespan). However, if you connect them via battery isolators (nothing more than a big diode - a one-way valve for electricity), then the weak battery won't pull down the strong batteries.

Now, should you have a charge/load controller that has terminals for multiple batteries, then it will act as the isolator so you don't have to have separate battery isolators. The controller will also be able to charge the batteries to their full capacities.

Now, if you connect your batteries in series then this whole "battery isolator" issue "goes away" - which is why series is generally more recommended than parallel if batteries need to be combined.
Thank you MarkyDee, and welcome to the forum! It is great to have electrical guru's here to keep us nuts alive. Based off your explanation, I assume that I may have been right, but the foundations of my statement still seem incorrect. Which brings up a few questions I'd love to pick your brain about.

1. If the batteries were wired up in a series wouldn't that increase the voltage to be between 36V (in the case of 3x12v batteries)? Would you just use a converter to convert that voltage down to 24 or 12v?

2. I am just about to make my own electrical system with 4x6v flooded batteries, I intend(ed) to run them series&parallel, but assuming I have the necessary charge controllers for the incoming wattage, I won't suffer the same fate that you were explaining where the weakest battery would burden the others?

3. In the case of this self sufficient bus conversion: Would a charge controller(I believe there was some mention of solar) resolve any imbalance between the 3 batteries being run in parallel?

Thank you for chiming in, I am glad we have +1 electrical expert in our community.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
SmartGauge (maker of arguably the most rational and effective battery monitor anywhere) has some words to say about this subject: SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

It would be prudent to spend some time reading their other articles, and to heed their advice.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thank you MarkyDee, and welcome to the forum! It is great to have electrical guru's here to keep us nuts alive. Based off your explanation, I assume that I may have been right, but the foundations of my statement still seem incorrect. Which brings up a few questions I'd love to pick your brain about.

1. If the batteries were wired up in a series wouldn't that increase the voltage to be between 36V (in the case of 3x12v batteries)? Would you just use a converter to convert that voltage down to 24 or 12v?

2. I am just about to make my own electrical system with 4x6v flooded batteries, I intend(ed) to run them series&parallel, but assuming I have the necessary charge controllers for the incoming wattage, I won't suffer the same fate that you were explaining where the weakest battery would burden the others?

3. In the case of this self sufficient bus conversion: Would a charge controller(I believe there was some mention of solar) resolve any imbalance between the 3 batteries being run in parallel?

Thank you for chiming in, I am glad we have +1 electrical expert in our community.
Thank you for the welcome! I'm always humbled by the generosity of communities sincere in their pursuits.

I'll try to answer your questions, but nothing sufficies for our own research.

1. Series connections multiply voltage; parallel connections multiply current. So, yes, the three batteries in series would be nominally 36v. The actual voltage would fluctuate based on various factors like age, current draw, temperature, etc.

As for 36v to 12v conversion, yes, there are products on the market that can do that kind of conversion - at least there were when I was researching electric car conversions back in the mid-90s (i.e. down-converting the traction pack's usually 96v or greater to 12v to run the car's accessories without using yet-another-battery). I'd be surprised with th EV car culture out in California if those products weren't still around....

2. Yes, the 'weaker' string will pull down the 'stronger' string if the two battery strings aren't isolated from each other. There are other knock-on effects as well like shortening the life of the stronger string, and not allowing the stronger string to fully charge or take a balancing charge. What will happen is the weaker string will gobble up the energy and split the water inside into hydrogen/oxygen. If the batteries aren't properly vented then you could end up with a bomb in your battery bay and not know it.

3. For parallel connections only if the charge controller has individual connections for each battery or series-connected strings. Otherwise what I explained in point 2, above, will happen.

Please don't misunderstand me - there's probably someone 'out there' who has had a parallel-connected battery bank since "the beginning of time" and never had an issue, but generally speaking its not the best way of connecting batteries together (especially for the layman who isn't expecting certain issues). Lead-acid can be an incredibly forgiving battery (compared to the other battery chemistries - i.e. the flaming LIon batteries we carry in our pockets), but there's still 'gotchas'.

Basically I'm advocating for good maintenance. If you connect in parallel, then be sure to disconnect the parallel structure every so often and apply a finishing and, if using flooded batteries, a de-sulfating charge to the individual batteries or strings. You will be rewarded with longer battery life and deeper discharges....

By the way, try not to discharge a lead-acid battery 'all the way' . Always try to maintain a minimum of 20% charge. Your battery life will thank you....
Old 03-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Thank you for taking the time to detail all that out, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to detail all that out, I really appreciate it!
No problem. However, I'm just regurgitating information that can be found around the internet like what Iceni John found (oh, and what I learned in college after blowing up a few things... yea, my prof wasn't happy, but I sure had fun...).
Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
No problem. However, I'm just regurgitating information that can be found around the internet like what Iceni John found (oh, and what I learned in college after blowing up a few things... yea, my prof wasn't happy, but I sure had fun...).
Ah, someone else that plugged electrolytics into power strips and launched them across the room. Better still is charging one, "here, hold this".

When buying a bus that has two different brands of batteries and two vastly different dates on them, I can see what you've mentioned happening without isolators. Two batteries out of the same manufacture batch tho... Again, I haven't looked into electrical for a bus yet but I wouldn't go out of my way to do anything special with them. Now if the solar system comes with an isolator, or they are the next aisle over and stupid cheap, then why not?

I've also not priced bus batteries. I suspect they are more than car batteries but about the same as marine. Is this the case?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

We Made a good amount of progress this weekend making the couch. We are working on the sides sometime this week.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
kflowers is offline   Reply With Quote