Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Bus work is under way at home.

I have uploaded photos of the bus. It is quite a learning experience but alot of fun! I am looking forward to some trips to the mountains in it. Let me know what you think or if you have any feedback. -Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

ongoing post

This site has ongoing photo's of the bus's journey. I look forward to feedback. -Richard
Old 03-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Skoolie

Far out! See that's what I wanted to do with my set up- the 'KISS' method. How did you attach everything? No one here or even in the one book I have has gone in to detail about attaching everything so it doesn't move during the drive.

I like your sink set up. I couldn't really find one I liked so I"m making mine but keeping it rather simple to build and install.

The plumbing thing still has me nuts but again, if I can keep it simple I will!

Nice pix too. I have 14 seats to go and a whole lotta rubber.
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Bus Nut

To pangaia

Well, I attached the cabinets to the side of the bus using drywall screws after drilling pilot holes. The reason for drywall screws is because they are very narrow and are less likeley to split the wood the framing the cabinets are held together with. After installing them I wanted to be sure of their strength, however after supporting my 250 plus pounds sitting on the counter I figured they were secure.

A suggestion for your plumbing if you want to keep it simple and cheap for the time being is to check out your local junk yard and find an older model van that had a factory camperization done to it. They often still have the galley pumps, sinks and tanks intact. Because most people want a nicer more complicated system involving a presurized system and water pumps the parts can be had for very little. Just be sure to sanitize it VERY well. New lines are quite resonable.

I am attaching the futon via nylon ratchet straps anchored through the floor. This allows the futon to be in it's upright couch position while mobile, and then simply loosening of the ratchets will allow it to slide out from the wall to accomidate sleeping. I considered rails and runners but that seemed overely complicated and less safe.

To macgyver. I appreciate your feedback. I had considered the issue of heat, but I needed to get some paint on the bus to drive it around town. I contacted transport canada and the RCMP (police) about restrictions in paint colours and they both were vaugue, so I opted to paint the front and back to avoid any problems. Hey, who needs it. Our final goal will be to paint the main body of the bus a darker red with black dots and attach antenia. We will then chrisen her THE DOODLEBUS. We want ours to look like a ladybug. I want it to be fun, but not look like a traditional hippy bus. Then when we are done our move in August we will see what we liked/disliked about the bus and do a more intensive conversion. Please note I have no interest in living on my bus or sinking gobs of cash into her. I don't want to stress out everytime my friends or I get on the bus after a long day mountain biking with the dogs covered in muck. This bus is for fun and possibly work.

Thanks for the feedback and keep the questions coming. -Richard[/i]