Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
That's kinda what I thought, it never went above 205 the whole trip and was generally 190 and lower.

Does anyone here have experience with oil getting in the water?

Hi and good work getting that bus to its new home, can be daunting to some.

I had oil enter the coolant in my Audi turbo diesel years ago. The reason was that the head needed retorqing at a certain mileage and naturally,not knowing what could happen, I let it go over that mileage. bad, costly mistake.
With diesels they run so good that you neglect the maintenance required until you pay the piper enough coin.

So I say get it in and check that first, you may be able to save it. Otherwise your rubber hoses will rot quickly and you will be stuck I.m afraid.

Best of luck, don't wait on it, see a pro.

John

Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Hi and good work getting that bus to its new home, can be daunting to some.

I had oil enter the coolant in my Audi turbo diesel years ago. The reason was that the head needed retorqing at a certain mileage and naturally,not knowing what could happen, I let it go over that mileage. bad, costly mistake.
With diesels they run so good that you neglect the maintenance required until you pay the piper enough coin.

So I say get it in and check that first, you may be able to save it. Otherwise your rubber hoses will rot quickly and you will be stuck I.m afraid.

Best of luck, don't wait on it, see a pro.

John
Two votes for head gasket.
I have read several times that the oil cooler can be the cause. Supposedly the only thing separating the oil/coolant is a few o-o-rings that can fail. Then, due to the oil being higher pressure, it ends up in the coolant, and not the other way. Anyone heard of this?
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Late to the party but congrats on the purchase. I’ll be following. I just spray foamed so I’ve had a little experience up to that point so far.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty1 View Post
Late to the party but congrats on the purchase. I’ll be following. I just spray foamed so I’ve had a little experience up to that point so far.
Thank you! How did all that go for you?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DTA360
Foaming went good, almost had a heat stroke lol. But I have a thread 1992 Thomas vista conversion. Pretty cool stuff(I think)....
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #26
Skoolie

I’ll surely read through your thread!

I went to the international dealer today and worked with a 45 year employee and he was a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful. I got a new eyelet for the air suspension and put it in, and WOW, I cannot believe I travelled all that way with the air bags flat. It rides like a dream now!!

I also purchased an o-ring kit for the oil cooler, at the suggestion of the international employee. He thought it was the most likely culprit of the oil being in my coolant. That and a flush, and hopefully that takes care of my problem.

He was showing me his screen and it had ALL the bus info on it. And he was about to print it for me, but his printer wouldn’t work, next time. Did see I have 5.56 gears.
Attached Thumbnails
F4BCDFC2-1772-4C96-BB74-B054EBA2F321.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
I got a new eyelet for the air suspension and put it in, and WOW, I cannot believe I travelled all that way with the air bags flat. It rides like a dream now!!

Insteresting. How does one know if they've got flat air bags? I haven't really driven the bus much since we got it home from Denver, it's only moved a few times locally. These are things I gotsta know before we hit the road!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Insteresting. How does one know if they've got flat air bags? I haven't really driven the bus much since we got it home from Denver, it's only moved a few times locally. These are things I gotsta know before we hit the road!
If you look at the picture I posted that shows the leveling rod off, you can see the bags deflated. Also, it’s bounces down the road and thumps horribly.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
If you look at the picture I posted that shows the leveling rod off, you can see the bags deflated. Also, it’s bounces down the road and thumps horribly.

Right on. Thanks, man!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Congrats! I'm in shock that you drove that far without suspension. Must of been terrible.

I know there are many folks that ignore anonymous posts. Adding a signature and telling us who you are goes a long ways towards a 'relationship' which makes the whole thing much easier and more interesting.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Congrats! I'm in shock that you drove that far without suspension. Must of been terrible.

I know there are many folks that ignore anonymous posts. Adding a signature and telling us who you are goes a long ways towards a 'relationship' which makes the whole thing much easier and more interesting.
Its quite embarrassing, but when they drive the bus out of the maintenance building after "looking it over" you expect everything to be good. Also, I think the air seat masked what was going on. either way...

Good advice on the profile, I added a bit and will work on it more over time.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Hey congrats on the new purchase and getting your new skoolie home. It can be nerv racking taking it home the first time. And there can be doubts running through your mind wondering if you made a good choice and if your ready to take on such a project. I had alot going through my mind while driving my bus 5 and a half hours home. But once i got it home i knew my adventure was gonna be sweet. I dont live in my bus full-time but do enjoy camping and road trips for now. And welcome to the skoolie world ��
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #33
Almost There

Quote:
Anyone care to add some thanks, congrates, anything? I am beginning to think this forum is not what I had hoped. Perhaps I put some people of? Idk, purchasing and getting home a school bus I thought was a big deal, no one here seems to care.
Dude, Congrats! I just logged in after a long while to check up on the skoolie world.

I see a few people just got buses. Yay.
802trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman View Post
Hey congrats on the new purchase and getting your new skoolie home. It can be nerv racking taking it home the first time. And there can be doubts running through your mind wondering if you made a good choice and if your ready to take on such a project. I had alot going through my mind while driving my bus 5 and a half hours home. But once i got it home i knew my adventure was gonna be sweet. I dont live in my bus full-time but do enjoy camping and road trips for now. And welcome to the skoolie world ��
Had many of the same thoughts... and it sounds like we have a similar purpose. I found a gentleman the town over from me that has been dismantling rvs for years and has accumulated windows, doors, tanks, pumps, a/c and the like. Headed over there now to see what he wants for prices, wish me luck.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802trees View Post
Dude, Congrats! I just logged in after a long while to check up on the skoolie world.

I see a few people just got buses. Yay.
Thank you! What an amazing feeling to fulfill a longtime dream.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #36
Skoolie

Goodies came in the mail today!
Attached Thumbnails
2B96BBF2-70FA-4C40-A801-C24B31866258.jpg  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #37
Skoolie

Okay so this is what I want as a first addition for electrical.

I have a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator that has a 30 amp outlet on it, and am picking up a used Duo-Therm 15k btu roof unit today.

What I want to do is add a 30 amp service to the bus and wire the the A/C directly to the breaker panel, and have a few outlets running to various parts of the bus.

When the Generator, which will be mounted underneath or on a platform on the back is being used to power the A/C, I will simply run a 30 amp cord from it, to the outlet.

When I use a campground 30 amp service, I will unplug the 30amp cord from the generator, and plug it into the the pedestal.

I have scoured the internet, and this site for days and cannot find useful information on this arrangement. Can I get some input, or real word applications of something along these lines? Other than a breaker panel, what do I need?

THANK YOU in advance for any information that can get me going!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Okay so this is what I want as a first addition for electrical.

I have a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator that has a 30 amp outlet on it, and am picking up a used Duo-Therm 15k btu roof unit today.

What I want to do is add a 30 amp service to the bus and wire the the A/C directly to the breaker panel, and have a few outlets running to various parts of the bus.

When the Generator, which will be mounted underneath or on a platform on the back is being used to power the A/C, I will simply run a 30 amp cord from it, to the outlet.

When I use a campground 30 amp service, I will unplug the 30amp cord from the generator, and plug it into the the pedestal.

I have scoured the internet, and this site for days and cannot find useful information on this arrangement. Can I get some input, or real word applications of something along these lines? Other than a breaker panel, what do I need?

THANK YOU in advance for any information that can get me going!

Ok then when the a/c arrives it will have likely a 110v power cord but it may not being a roof unit.
There will be inside the cover a place to connect the 110v power then no matter what the source is.
From there you will connect the wiring from the alt current breaker panel and add to the same terminals a wire, say 10/3 cabtire running to wherever your gen is mounted. There you mount a simple weatherproof junction box. Run that cable in there first. Have another 10/3 cabtire from the gen outlet to the same junction box. Ground the box with the green wires and just make connections, black to black, white to white.
The cord from the gen has to have a disconnect switch to prevent shorepower going to the male end of that cable when not running the generator. Flip the disconnect on only for generator use for using the airconditioner.
You should do the same on the panel feed for the a/conditoner so you do not backfeed the panel from the gen when using the air only.
Sounds difficult but is about as simple as can be done without spending a lot of money.

If you forget those switches in use, there will be consequences you might not like. If you sell the bus at some point, will you be able to teach the new owner. You could be held liable if not.

There are other methods of course but this is very basic.

John
Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #39
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Ok then when the a/c arrives it will have likely a 110v power cord but it may not being a roof unit.
There will be inside the cover a place to connect the 110v power then no matter what the source is.
From there you will connect the wiring from the alt current breaker panel and add to the same terminals a wire, say 10/3 cabtire running to wherever your gen is mounted. There you mount a simple weatherproof junction box. Run that cable in there first. Have another 10/3 cabtire from the gen outlet to the same junction box. Ground the box with the green wires and just make connections, black to black, white to white.
The cord from the gen has to have a disconnect switch to prevent shorepower going to the male end of that cable when not running the generator. Flip the disconnect on only for generator use for using the airconditioner.
You should do the same on the panel feed for the a/conditoner so you do not backfeed the panel from the gen when using the air only.
Sounds difficult but is about as simple as can be done without spending a lot of money.

If you forget those switches in use, there will be consequences you might not like. If you sell the bus at some point, will you be able to teach the new owner. You could be held liable if not.

There are other methods of course but this is very basic.

John
Great info, thank you very much.

I’m not sure however the reason for any kind of switch.

Basically what I am thinking is having a breaker box with a 30 amp female outlet right outside of it. If i am using the generator, then use a store bought cable to run power from that outlet to the generator. If I am using shore power, unplug from the generator and plug into the campsite reseptical. Is this a safe setup?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Great info, thank you very much.

I’m not sure however the reason for any kind of switch.

Basically what I am thinking is having a breaker box with a 30 amp female outlet right outside of it. If i am using the generator, then use a store bought cable to run power from that outlet to the generator. If I am using shore power, unplug from the generator and plug into the campsite reseptical. Is this a safe setup?

So you are ok with a 30 amp cord with 2 male ends on it? That is how people get killed. Early cremation.

John

John