Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Busker

Been here for 6 months or so and posted a handful of time, and we finally have our bus! My wife and brother in law picked it up in Toledo OH and took it to Fort Wayne IN where I will arrive tomorrow! Got a stunning deal on this beautiful transit style international. DT466E/Allison 2500, cruise control, and came with over half a tank!

Initial plan is to paint it, remove seats and floor, insulate and lay plywood, and will be leaving the rest for the time being. Will build out the inside more this fall when it’s not so hot.
Attached Thumbnails
B5B517BC-50EE-48B6-B7E6-C79550750D85.jpg   6F108ABB-EE8E-4FDF-B3C0-D43B71ED91BA.jpg   E7FBD6C2-9977-4257-8536-B14FB35C06FB.jpg   64792AF9-8D95-4DFC-A78B-6CA83BD8526B.jpg  

Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
Initial plan is to paint it, remove seats and floor, insulate and lay plywood, and will be leaving the rest for the time being. Will build out the inside more this fall when it’s not so hot.
You said it! Don't know what part of Nebraska you're in, but our weather is forcing me to work on my motorized toys at the crack of dawn - and that ain't much help!

Nice dashboards on those flat nose International FEs. I see potential for a big party lounge in the rear with the doors opening for Big Red tailgating!
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus View Post

You said it! Don't know what part of Nebraska you're in, but our weather is forcing me to work on my motorized toys at the crack of dawn - and that ain't much help!

Nice dashboards on those flat nose International FEs. I see potential for a big party lounge in the rear with the doors opening for Big Red tailgating!
Bellevue!

Yea everything I heard from my brother in law sounds great! 65 mph at 2,300 rpm!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Bus Nut

If your coming by on 80 /90 give a shout
In south bend
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
If your coming by on 80 /90 give a shout
In south bend
I wouldn’t want to turn south bend red again

But in all seriousness, I will likely be farther south to avoid Chicago interstate driving for my first adventure
Attached Thumbnails
4ECC1D62-739B-4495-A863-7340AC0B649E.jpeg  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Skoolie

Well I called the school district to ask them specifically the gross vehicle weight and was told 21,000lbs. Get in the bus for the first time and the sticker above the windshield says 30,000. So I may be in some deep trouble regarding the purchase of this thing.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Skoolie

Just got home! 15 hours, 800 miles and she made it with barley a hiccup.

Observations:

65 limited @2,300 rpm
62mph it runs about 190-200 dergreee regardless of hills or flat
Air seats are a must
Cruise control is lovely
Don’t accidentally hit the rear heater switch/there is antifreeze in the rear of my bus
Trans temp follows water temp closely

Attached is how I realized I had air suspension, the eylet broke off during the drive somehow, and I was riding on the limitersat least it’s an easy fix.

Looks like it’s a really nicely optioned bus, and I am happy to be home
Attached Thumbnails
DF8497D5-B4E0-4965-BC58-C9A77FDD1D76.jpg  
Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
I wouldn’t want to turn south bend red again
Wow......what year was that? Looks like Memorial Stadium East.....ND must have been having a bad year.

Are you amped about Frost's return? I still have ill feelings about his remarks at the end of the 1997 season, but it will be interesting to see how quickly he can turn things around.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Wow......what year was that? Looks like Memorial Stadium East.....ND must have been having a bad year.

Are you amped about Frost's return? I still have ill feelings about his remarks at the end of the 1997 season, but it will be interesting to see how quickly he can turn things around.
I believe that was 2001... Frost is all but a desciple at this point people basically just want to see improvement and a bowl game this year
Old 07-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Skoolie

Anyone care to add some thanks, congrates, anything? I am beginning to think this forum is not what I had hoped. Perhaps I put some people of? Idk, purchasing and getting home a school bus I thought was a big deal, no one here seems to care.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

All forums are like this.
A lot of it is just the luck of the draw. If you post when everybody is off doing something else, nobody notices.
Or, if a guy posts a photo of his hot wife helping him on the bus at the same time you pist, everybody is stareing at the wife and pretending to notice the bus.
Be happy nobody posted that you paid too much or got the wrong tranny.
Im happy for you, if that makes you feel any better.
yfrank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfrank14 View Post
All forums are like this.
A lot of it is just the luck of the draw. If you post when everybody is off doing something else, nobody notices.
Or, if a guy posts a photo of his hot wife helping him on the bus at the same time you pist, everybody is stareing at the wife and pretending to notice the bus.
Be happy nobody posted that you paid too much or got the wrong tranny.
Im happy for you, if that makes you feel any better.
Ya, no kidding. Appreaciate the response. I’m gonna need some advice if you or others wouldn’t mind chiming in.

Attached is a picture of the viewing window on my radiator, as you can see my DT466 pushed oil into the coolant. When I left it was perfectly clear. Hoping it’s the oil cooler or the cooler orings. I checked the oil and it does not appear that coolant is in oil, but I plan on cracking the drain tonight to see if any settled in the bottom to verify.

Did I push it too hard? Ran between 185-200 degrees the whole trip, too hot?
Attached Thumbnails
11AF042C-F0CF-48F2-9AA8-715E5FD3D4A5.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Anyone care to add some thanks, congrates, anything? I am beginning to think this forum is not what I had hoped. Perhaps I put some people of? Idk, purchasing and getting home a school bus I thought was a big deal, no one here seems to care.
Could just be a matter of random chance. I've noticed that some posts/threads get lots of responses while others with similar subject matter get few. I sure didn't see anything off-putting.

I'm happy to read of your safe arrival and look forward to seeing updates!
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Congrats on getting Busker home! I always just look at the Recent Posts and your post might have gotten buried under other new posts, who knows? A 15 hour drive is a pretty huge deal......good to hear you made it back without any on-the-road drama!

Our DT466 ran at around 180-190 the whole trip from Denver to Chicago, but it was in the fall, not in the middle of an unprecedented summer heat wave. I don't know much about these kinds of things yet (so take my word with a grain of salt, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but as I understand it 200 is as high as you want to go and 212 is an engine killer. IF you start to overheat, pull over and leave the engine running to circulate the coolant. Don't shut the engine off!

As to the oil/coolant mixing I don't know what it could be. Doesn't sound good though. Hopefully someone will help you troubleshoot it. Congrats on your new ride!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Congrats on getting Busker home! I always just look at the Recent Posts and your post might have gotten buried under other new posts, who knows? A 15 hour drive is a pretty huge deal......good to hear you made it back without any on-the-road drama!

Our DT466 ran at around 180-190 the whole trip from Denver to Chicago, but it was in the fall, not in the middle of an unprecedented summer heat wave. I don't know much about these kinds of things yet (so take my word with a grain of salt, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but as I understand it 200 is as high as you want to go and 212 is an engine killer. IF you start to overheat, pull over and leave the engine running to circulate the coolant. Don't shut the engine off!

As to the oil/coolant mixing I don't know what it could be. Doesn't sound good though. Hopefully someone will help you troubleshoot it. Congrats on your new ride!
Thank you Skunk and Dru,

I guess I just go antsy after all that driving

190-200 seemed to be where it sat most of the trip in the 61-62 mph range. And yes, I was wondering about idling it. I was letting it run a few minutes and cooling down before turning it off to fuel.

According to the internet, its commonly the problem. Hopefully I am correct if feeling that coolant is not in the oil.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Thank you Skunk and Dru,

I guess I just go antsy after all that driving

I feel ya, man. If you've never made a trip like that before it feels monumental. We had an absolute blast on our trip home, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous any time I drove through a small downtown or had to worry about traffic merging on I-80. Each and every situation presented some different nerve wracking challenge.....whether it was taking the blue highways or the interstate.

I like to think that it'll keep me young, but I fear that it'll induce premature greying!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I feel ya, man. If you've never made a trip like that before it feels monumental. We had an absolute blast on our trip home, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous any time I drove through a small downtown or had to worry about traffic merging on I-80. Each and every situation presented some different nerve wracking challenge.....whether it was taking the blue highways or the interstate.

I like to think that it'll keep me young, but I fear that it'll induce premature greying!
Denver is not to far off from what I just did, good work! I thought a lot about going rural highways, but the extra 2.5 hours kept me from it. Completely agree on merging being the biggest scare out on the road!!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Water temps between 180 and 210 are normal as are trans temps of 180-220. If they exceed that for any period of time look for the issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Water temps between 180 and 210 are normal as are trans temps of 180-220. If they exceed that for any period of time look for the issue.
That's kinda what I thought, it never went above 205 the whole trip and was generally 190 and lower.

Does anyone here have experience with oil getting in the water?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
That's kinda what I thought, it never went above 205 the whole trip and was generally 190 and lower.

Does anyone here have experience with oil getting in the water?
Oil in the water or vice versa is usually an indication of head gasket leakage. Usually followed by overheating.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote