Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Buying Bus

Been reading here & shopping around for bus on a budget. I want power, & I have 4 buses I'm looking at. 3 internationals with dt 466's. Two are 87 blue birds with 5 speeds & 2 speed rears with 204k & 130k miles. The other international is a carpenter with an AT545 auto with 157k miles.
The forth is a 1987 blue bird flat nose with a cat turbo 3208 with 164k miles, it has the bigger auto AT643 or something like that, it's definetly not the 545.

OK I have been quoted a price of $2,500 on the auto international. The other 3 I haven't been quoted prices as of yet. What are they worth with great bodies no rust still decked out in full school gear? I really love the flat nose but I don't know if they will want a lot for it.

How will the int. 5 speeds run on the hwy with the 2 speed rears. Do they tend to have a good hwy final drive? I couldn't find the tags on the rears for those. I have crawled all over these buses & think they are in great shape, but is there something I should be looking for? The flat nose sounds great while idleing & the other 3 I haven't heard run yet. The flat nose had main & rod bearings replaced at 100k. Is that normal?
Sorry, Lot of questions! TIA

code4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

For me it would be between the flat-nose and the low-mileage 5+2 International, the flat-nose will be more manuverable and has recent engine work. As far as final drive goes on any of them its hard to tell, depends on the gearing in them.
Keep us posted!
~B~
1979GMC6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I like the flat nose buses a lot but if the engine has needed work like that and only has 100k miles I would run. At the least see if you can get an oil sample and send it to a lab. You never know if that engine had metal floating around in it. I would go for the of the low mileage DT466s. The two speed rear end should help with highway speed as well. Though unless you can find out just what the gears are you still may not make it over 55MPH. If you plan on keeping the bus forever and don't mind driving a manual, pass on the AT545 and get the manual. You can always win the lotto and buy all of them and put the best engine in the flat nose
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to stego
Quote:
Originally Posted by busone
I like the flat nose buses a lot but if the engine has needed work like that and only has 100k miles I would run. At the least see if you can get an oil sample and send it to a lab.
I wouldn't be that afraid of the 3208 - it's pretty normal to replace bearings in them. For some reason the 3208's are a little hard on main bearings - if I remember right Cat used to recommend replacement @ 500hrs. which would be around 100k miles on a typical schoolie. If you you know what district the bus came from you can ask the shop there about history and records. School districts are usually very helpfull in that regard. Also Montana buses seem to have pretty high gearing - I've had a few blow by me on the freeways!

Good luck and stay away from the AT545!
Stego
Old 04-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I think the flat nose came from N Dakota. I was snooping through the bus & found a complete log on the bus with every fill up, service, & even if a light bulb was replaced. That's how I know that the bearing were replaced at 100k I also was able to verify through the log that the bus has 164k. (The odometer has only 5 digits & I wasn't sure how many times it may have rolled over) The owner is due to return tomorrow, we'll see what he wants for it. It may be over my budget, if so I'll go for the 466 5+2
Old 04-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

6k for the flat nose & 3,500 for the IH. I can't swing that much for the flat nose. It is full of new cloth reclining seats similar to a greyhound bus. I wonder if there is a market for these that I could make some $$ I'll go to do some test driving this Sunday.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Well just got back from test driving. The higher mileage DT466 could only manage 56 mph & had some vibrations. The lower mileage DT466 did 65 in no time, & it was just under 2600 rpm. It might do close to 70. It has 130k miles & sounded awsome. It is a 65 pass as opposed to the other 71 pass. I did a hand shake deal for $3,200. I asked him for 4 new used tires on the rear as those were dry rotted. I am going back tomorrow to pay him & bring her home.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Congrats!

You'll make lots of us jealous with that DT466. Sure wish i had one.

It's always exciting bringing home a new bus.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well I'm home with ?, I need to name her. It was a 70 mile ride home along lake koocanusa on a beautiful sunny day. It was fun driving it home. It does 65 @ 2400 rpm. On long 8 percent pulls the pyrometer would get up to 1100 then I would let off. I don't know how hot you should let them get? On a straight stretch I let her rip & the rpm went past the 2,600 rpm. I thought these buses had govenors at 2,600. I shut it down at 75. To be honest I enjoyed running at about 60 or just a hair over, a lot less noise etc. Just keep looking out the window at it, I love the loud turbo diesel and the air brake sound. The 3 dogs, GF & I just sat in it in the yard until it got dark, we're excited about getting started. Next is removing the seats.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like a great day, nice that you got a bus with a pyrometer, in my Freightliner road truck i always tried to keep it at or below 900 deg to be on the safe side, i do not know if the smaller engines run warmer or if you should follow the same route. Keep us posted on your progress!
~B~
Old 05-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
ok, just what is/does the pryometer do? I should know this but I'm lost
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonknight
ok, just what is/does the pryometer do? I should know this but I'm lost
It is a gauge that measures exhaust tempratures after the turbo
~B~
Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Well took the bus for a cruise around town today, it was fun. I saw a couple of friends & was honking at them, they were like "what the heck?" Everyone assumes it is a local bus loaded with kids. I went to the mill & weighed her. Pulled the front axle on & read 7,020, then whole bus 17,140 then rear axle 10,080. (off a little as it rounds to the nearst 20 lbs) I was surprised that she was so heavy in the back. It is a 65 pass blue bird. When I was shopping for a bus I was looking at a 71 pass same year/everything as this one. But it had a longer wheel base yet the bus was only approx 1.5 feet longer. Interestingly this bus had more feet behing the rear axle than the 71 pass by 1 foot. I will try to weigh her through different stages if I can.

So I brought her back home & decided to remove seats. My friend & I used impacts & had it all done in about an hour. Had to use hand wrenches above fender wells & heater Now I have heard people here mention they have wood on the floor. Mine looks like it's just thin rubber & steel. I think I will just leave the rubber & do the flooring over it. I didn't see any rust so I am happy. I will try to post some pics soon.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Been working on the bus. Read several post concerning removing the rubber flooring or not. I decided to remove it & I am very thankful I did. I had some rust along the aisle where the rubber had cracked & alowed moisture/dirt in. There was no visible rust on my bus anywhere including underneath. The steel floor is galvanized but still was beginning to rust. I went ahead & wired brushed the whole floor with my industrial grinder with wire attachment. Then I painted the spots with POR 15. I may go back outside & paint the whole floor tonight?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

The DT 466 tachs out @ 2700 RPM's I wouldn't try to get that bus to go 70. You have a multitude of factors. Tire size, Differential Gear ratio, Transmission.
the other Automatic you are talking about is still a 4spd and may have a ratio that is slightly higher but is basically a heavier duty 4spd than the AT 545.
SALES Pitch. I have a 96 International THomas 3600 Vista with a DT-466
and AT545. This is a semi forward design. Basically it has a snub-nosed from end that looks like a standard school bus but shorter out front. It handles and steers nicely. It is white with some cool blue and orange stripes. It has 169,000 miles on it and is in great condition. Air Brakes, which are less expensive to maintain and repair. Everything is simple and easy to get to. I am soon to put some pics up. Basically I have done all the work to it and am still working on it. It has been fully sprayed with foam insulation and floored with another layer of ply wood. I am building extra tool boxes and an aluminum rack on top and nearing finishing the paneling. I have been set on making this a sweet bus but recent circumstances have led me to consider selling it. This is the first posting I have put up here. I have a whole list of info and research on anything you want to know about skoolies and how to find it. Equipment, prices etc. If I go through with selling, I will be posting it here first but likely looking to ebay with a minimum bid around $5500 as it is right now.
JoeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Congratulations on the bus! The fun has only just begun! It sounds like you got a great deal.

What are you going to use it for? Camping? Living? Partying? Smuggling Canadians into the country? (Don't answer that one.)

One thing about the floor: I noticed a SUBSTANTIAL drop in interior noise after I installed flooring material. Depending on how much time you plan to spend riding in the bus, that might be a good investment. Road noise adds substantially to the fatigue that one may suffer on long trips.

I also second the motion about not pushing the engine beyond design limits. It would cost a whole lot more to replace than to buy a new bus, and that would be very bad -- especially once you get all the work done on the interior.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
A mechanical DT466, a 5+2 spicer, highway gears, and only 130,000 miles? You, sir SUCK! Seriously good find. That is essentially my dream bus. I have the 5+2 and the highway gears, but am stuck with a gas-sucking 460.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:13 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I'm going to use the bus for some camping & I am going to tow my car to some events. I will have to see how it is going to be towing a 16' trailer. The bus seems very powerful. I don't see the need for the lower gear on the two speed rear I keep it in the upper gear and it still feels very low geared. It runs real comfortable at 65 mph at approx 2400 rpms. We'll see how it does while towing. It is going to take some time for me to finish this project (lack of funds) The seats are all out and so is all the rubber flooring. My wife & I painted some of it but still have some to go. We are incorporating the yellow & I believe we are going to leave the top yellow for now. Here some pics of the paint scheme, keep in mind I am not a painter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ ... 0_1286.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ ... 0_1284.jpg
Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
65 MPH @ 2400 RPM?!? I'm sooo envious! That's great!

The paint scheme looks nice. It made me think "happy" when I saw it. Obviously, it's not possible to accomplish more than you have $$ for at any given time, so if it's going to take some time, use that to your advantage. The time and care you put into the job will more than pay off in the long run.

Sounds like you're doing fine!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote