Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2023, 04:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

C5500 Uhaul Cab Chassis Camper Car Hauler

Not a schoolie so sorry about that. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a build like this? I've been looking at these ex uhaul cab and chassis trucks with the 8.1 gas V8 and Allison 5 speed. I've crunched some numbers and it looks like I could fit a 10' slide in camper or maybe even 11 feet. The 2000s C45-7500 trucks used a van cab, so the camper needs to be lifted about 16" above the bed. I've done two bedless camper mounts before, but not with room for a car on back. To make it look decent you need to fill in the space around the camper.

heres something similar on an older kodiak

turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
to me these are a great chassis for a build... they sell lots of them near me.. many of them are 2008-2010 and so they have the 6 speed-capable allison. (you can tune them with EFiLive and easily turn on 6th gear)..

the 8.1 isnt the most efficient gas motor in the world but it was reliable overall and there are tuniung options to give it more power.

from a buddy of mine the frames on these have Bosses all along for the axle so its pretty easy to shorten them from 26 foot box size downward if you want a smaller rig.. he said 2 different sets of holes exist.. he has one that he made a pickup truck out of. i tuned the tranny for him.. of course its rear drive only and regular cab..

for a motor home I envision you being able to cut the back and part of the roof out of the cab or even do a straight cab over loft similar to a pickup based motorhome..

Not sure what you would use as a body basis or if you would just build from scratch and weld up a frame and go from there.. they are lighter duty chassis so you wouldnt be able to build a super heavy overlanding style conversion.. they use smaller wheels so i wouldnt go top heavy on the build.. the smaller wheels take away some of the ground clearance offered by busses with 11R22.5 tires and wheels.. wouldnt to drive one of these in the sand.. i could imagine it getting stuck easily..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

thank you so much for the reply. I'm from California but I'm hoping to be in escrow on a house in Ohio tomorrow. I am in Romania at the moment but when I come home this summer, I am planning to fly into wherever I find a good chassis and do the build in Ohio. I have seen many of these for sale in the Ohio area on the Uhaul site. I've seen prices from 2995 to 12k or so. Do you have a feel for how much i need to pay for one with a good engine/trans? I guess Uhaul gives a 2 star score when the engine is running rough.

Are they easy to find in other places besides from uhaul? If you know a good source I'll look into it.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

The Uhaul where I store my busses in southwest Columbus (central Ohio) always has them. The ones I’ve seen in good condition seem to be in the 5K range.. at times they have a dozen or more.. I haven’t seen any in the last 2 months .. I almost bought one a couple years ago to shorten and make a pickup �� it of but no time to do it as work is bonkers .. the super cheap ones are often mechanical failures or have been wrecked or a lf of crane rust. I never saw them for 12K unless those are the beginning of them selling the F650 chassis which are V10s generally.

These are on sale at Uhaul because they used to be 26 ft Uhaul rental trucks. The truck box is aluminum and often still good so when the chassis age Uhaul buys new chassis, moves the box over, refurbs with new floor and paint and rents them out. I’m not sure if other truck rentals like Penske or budget or Ryder sell their chassis or not. I only knew of Uhaul because I am there all the time
Old 02-06-2023, 12:49 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Now I'm a bit discouraged about finding one with a good engine. I'm surprised to see so many with 2 stars for engine which i guess means running rough. That coupled with what you said about the box outlasting the chassis is a little bit ominous. Perhaps the 8.1 isnt all that bulleyproof? I suppose Uhaul didnt buy too many diesel versions with the cat or isuzu 6?
Old 02-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm mulling a 2nd bus, redesigned for my current needs, and truthfully considered the same thing you are. I was looking for a decent bus that was cheap and gas powered, as most of your modern gas engines are decent little runners and gas powered onans are a dime a dozen and much quieter compared to diesel units. Then I looked into used JH uhaul's and a truck bed camper, as that would likely suit my needs too, and be way heavier built then a 1 ton truck. I'm not a fan of juice brakes on something heavy, how they're all equipped with low-pro tires, and I definitely have an uneasy feeling about buying a former rental vehicle. In my experience no one every drives a rental gently. Tires are something that can be fixed, and brakes are something I could get used to, but the whole rode-hard-and-put-away-wet treatment is something IDK I could overlook.

Like you, I'm nervous about their rating system. A lot of the ones give the engine a 2 star rating. IMO that means serious engine damage that needs addressed immediately, which renders the truck near scrap. A lot of the cheap ones have issues, typically engine issues, which is odd to me as the 8.1 and ford v10 are usually reliable runners in my experience. Talking to some of the guys at the service centers, they do fairly decent and thorough maintenance, but I feel they view spark plugs as a repair item and not a maintenance item. So I don't believe they touch spark plugs on these things, and at at 160k they'd way overdue for spark plugs and a good tune up.

That'd be a pretty easy fix if that all one would need. I still might do it and take the risk.

BTW uhaul hasn't bought a diesel unit in 20+ years. Several reasons for it, cheaper initial purchase price, commonality across the fleet, gas engines being cheaper to service, etc..... But the biggest reason is that they had too many roadside visits with people putting gas in the diesel tank. Gas being cheaper then diesel(people biased towards using cheap on something they don't own) and the general naivety of the general public(people are clueless), I would never have a diesel rental anything. People are habitual, and do stuff without thinking. We had 1 gas bus in the 2000's as a spare, and once a year a driver would put diesel in it by mistake, even though it had "GASOLINE ONLY" in big black letters above the fuel door. Sometimes it's easier to design things around the lowest denominator, then it is to struggle against it.

FWIW, if you didn't know, adding diesel to a gas truck is somewhat inconsequential, with the worst requiring you to drain the tank, purge the system, and refill it with fresh gas. Whereas gas in a diesel truck is typically catastrophic, and requires thousands spent on injection pumps/injectors and flushing the fuel system. We get a call into the shop every now and again where a customer does just that. In my experience you can mess up and add a few gallons of diesel to a gas truck and you'll likely notice no issues. Maybe a little rough running, but that'd be fixed at the next fill up. If someone calls in because they added gas to a diesel, I'd recommend towing the vehicle and flushing the tank.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Booyah has it right about diesel. I remember our local Uhaul having issues with that when Uhaul switched from using old fords to IH 4700 series trucks and even Series.

They used to have gas in diesel issues or customers complained that they had to fill them in truck stops . (Auto diesel pumps were not common).

I would suggest finding where trucks are located and then go look in person or have someone do it for you .. I’m guessing you don’t plan to buy a truck until you get back to the states.

When I was looking, they told me all of the trucks ran and drove hood unless marked. Some were wrecked, others had issues written in grease pen on the windshield like bad engine or bad trans. They all had temporary light bars installed on the back for tail lights so they could be driven off the lot.

I haven’t seen any at my Uhaul for a few months now but maybe they moved them to the side lot where I don’t go..

But like mentioned rental trucks take a beating .. people run em coot to the floor on the highway including the mountains .. engine screaming close to redline climbing a hill. A diesel doesn’t care.. gas engines hate that being run hard for long periods of time ..

I think you find a lot, bring a scanner and go drive them and run the scan tool and see if you get codes.. and feel how they run.. the 8.1 was never the smoothest idling engine so if a lackie is rating it because it seems to idle rough..
Old 02-06-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
Skoolie

Crawler Hauler

Been to pirate4x4/irate4x4.com? TONS of crawler hauler builds there.

Some ideas

Add "Uhaul" or "truck" to that search and see even more.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #9
Skoolie

I used a 24 foot U-Haul box on My F700 to build my "U-RV" Mine is a older all alum box. All U-haul boxes after about 1990 have fiberglass/plywood laminated walls and the boxes are attached to chassis in a different way then the old ones. on the new ones the rear suspension must be removed to remove the box. the newer 1990 and up boxes have smooth side with no rivets.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:52 AM   #10
Bus Geek

I looked at my local Uhaul on the side lot and they do have cab and chassis for sale. He mentioned he was gong to Ohio. I can look at some if he is serious since I’m in central Ohio.

The the OP if you look at for sale in the Columbus southwest Georgesville rd Uhaul and find anything you want better look at let me know that’s where I keep my busses and I can go look at and take pics of chassis cabs if you like