Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Location: On the road. Currently traveling thru Texas. In Canadian Tx with a busted Allison 545 rn.
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt466e
Can I please get feedback on this?

This is to add shore power, 6500 watt Honda generator, 110,v, and a converter/ charger on my system.

I currently have solar, 6 v golf cart batteries and a 5k inverter.

I was hoping on some some feedback to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything catastrophic.

Hopefully the pic makes since.

The black cable on the top left of the screen is the 30 amp shore plug/ cable.

I appreciate your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled1_20221030080428.jpg  

!eslie.brewer.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
That inverter can draw 400+ amps.
Be absolutely certain you can't back feed your charge controller when you plug in.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by !eslie.brewer.me View Post
This is to add shore power, 6500 watt Honda generator, 110,v, and a converter/ charger on my system.

I currently have solar, 6 v golf cart batteries and a 5k inverter.

I was hoping on some some feedback to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything catastrophic.

Hopefully the pic makes since.

The black cable on the top left of the screen is the 30 amp shore plug/ cable.

I appreciate your time.
I'm not quite following the picture/diagram.

On the feed side, the coiled black cable is your shore power.
You indicate it goes through one of the circuit breakers on the left side of the box, then into the Jott4 transfer switch. And also into the receptacle for the converter/charger via a receptacle.

I don't quite understand how the circuit breakers on the left fit into the picture. They need to be mounted in their own load center, best practice, so you can shut off the shore power independent of the equipment in the box.

Let's assume that's your plan-to have those breakers somewhere else other than in this box, and the shore power passes through that load center to feed the Jott4. I'm not a hundred percent on how that Jott4 gets wired-did you get an installation manual with it?

It will also need to have generator power wired to it, including control lines...unless you plan on using the same shore power port for either generator or shore power, in which case you don't actually need that transfer switch....

...and I'm guessing you aren't showing how the 5K inverter is wired to this setup. I'm looking for some heavy fuses but it appears the picture and your questions are about the converter/charger.

Here's what the flow should look like, I think:
1. Shore power inlet
2. Load center with circuit breaker
3. Transfer switch. Also feeding into the transfer switch would be the generator power, if hard wired.
4. Probably, another load center for the output of the transfer switch.
5. Then a receptacle that powers the converter/charger.

Make sure the ground wire from shore power does NOT bond or connect to your white/common/neutral wire. That transfer switch appears to have three lugs for load, common, and ground (again, I think). It's best to confirm with an continuity check, but if that's the case then both your neutral bus bar (green lines, which is confusing because usually white indicates neutral and green indicates ground) and your ground bus bar (white lines, again confusing, should be green) are isolated.

Don't forget to ground the converter charger to your bus chassis.

That's the best I can do, at this point.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote