Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #221
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Canadian Skoolie Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
I officially have heat in the bus! . At least I can continue working even if the weather gets cold.
Shouldn't you be thinking about Air Conditioning? Our bus hit 85°F yesterday with 91°F exterior temps. We need to get the cooling unit put together SOON. Just need to put the whole Heat/Air system together (ours is will be interconnected Hydronic). I do think we need to figure out how to turn off the cool and turn on the heat for overnight lows (it gets pretty chilly here at night) and back again without having to go outside to switch the circulating fluid over to the different circuits. I need to look up a remote solenoid or plumb a valve inside. Valve would be cheaper and less likely to fail. Something to figure out before installing. Very recently we had days in the 90's and nights in the 30's (cold front). That's pretty chilly when I am getting up at 3AM to get dressed and go to work! Brrrr!

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #222
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

its -4c right now, and we just had a snow storm, 5inch wet snow, plow went by yesterday. In canada we think heat first. ,
anyway furnace looks good, thats the set up i have , built the kitchen sink and counter around it.

your bus is looking great.

gbstewart
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #223
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
I officially have heat in the bus! . At least I can continue working even if the weather gets cold.
Shouldn't you be thinking about Air Conditioning? Our bus hit 85°F yesterday with 91°F exterior temps. We need to get the cooling unit put together SOON. Just need to put the whole Heat/Air system together (ours is will be interconnected Hydronic). I do think we need to figure out how to turn off the cool and turn on the heat for overnight lows (it gets pretty chilly here at night) and back again without having to go outside to switch the circulating fluid over to the different circuits. I need to look up a remote solenoid or plumb a valve inside. Valve would be cheaper and less likely to fail. Something to figure out before installing. Very recently we had days in the 90's and nights in the 30's (cold front). That's pretty chilly when I am getting up at 3AM to get dressed and go to work! Brrrr!
No wonder you preach "Insulation!"... I would too if temps varied that wildly around here!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #224
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Air conditioner was installed last spring. It was used quite frequently throughout the summer. My AC unit has the heat strip accessory, and while it seems to work okay, I found a simple 1200w electric heater/fan works much better and quieter than the heat strip. I had to get the furnace running this season not only because my counters will need to be built to fit around it, will need to be designed to ensure proper ducting, but also because it is easier to run the propane lines without cramming into a little tiny cabinet space. Also, because it is still early spring in Canada! It could snow, rain, shine, who the heck knows from day to day. My build-it time seems to go from 'just warm enough to work' until 'camping season' begins. After that we are using the bus for the summer and after that it gets too cold to work in it again.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #225
Bus Geek

Quote:
... it is easier to run the propane lines without cramming into a little tiny cabinet space...
But cramming yourself into a tiny space and working is so much fun. Especially if you have to squeeze a tool in that takes up most of the space... and if it has a sharp rapidly spinning thingy on it... so much more fun! Oh the joys of converting a bus!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #226
Bus Nut

Don't forget the potential for leaky gas fittings that are hard to test in a small enclosed space. You just test those with a lighter, right?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #227
Bus Crazy

yay heat!!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #228
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
yay heat!!
You know what I'm talkin' about! Gotta keep the igloo comfortable!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #229
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowBoxer
... No wonder you preach "Insulation!"... I would too if temps varied that wildly around here!
Not just here in the NM desert. A temp swing of 20° to 30° in the Southern Appalachian Mountains (think Great Smokies NP) is not uncommon particularly in the spring and fall. More insulation means your heating and cooling systems won't cycle on as often or use as much energy as with minimal insulation. So insulation is a big thing with me. Also I'm frugal. Investing more into insulation now, keeps more $$ in my pocket later when it gets really hot (inside stays cooler) or really cold (my heat stays inside rather than getting wicked out thru heat sinks).

Right now, we have no insulation on the sidewalls except for the original bus insulation, same as for the roof. The sidewalls flat heat up due to the the rivets. Exterior rivets get heated up by the sun, they in turn heat up the metal frame which transfers the heat to the interior rivets which get so hot that I can't keep my hand on them. Solution will be to use solid foam insulation on the sidewalls (and floor). The SolarFlex on the roof appears to create a heat barrier, as well as sealing the tiny leak on the roof. I check the roof temps all the time. The 400 Million rivets at the frame/seams get only marginally warmer during the day than the rest of the ceiling which stays quite cool. I also kept checking the rivets during the winter. and found the same. The SolarFlex creates a good barrier so that the rivets do not act as a heat sink. I am very happy with the ceiling temps.

As side note..... I finally ran out of LP. We are only using LP to cook with, just like on the Class C with it's 22" RV LP range. My home range (30" standard GE Profile) ran thru a 20 lb tank in 2 months (plus a couple of days). I have been cooking a lot on the stove top as well as using the oven quite a bit more. More than "normal" compared to when we were in the Class C. That means I got an extra month out of the standard home range LP usage over the smaller RV range LP usage. Unreal! I knew the RV range was not the best on LP usage but to double, that's incredible. Just thought I would put that out there for those who are thinking that by going with the RV range, they will be saving fuel. Could be of interest to any of the folks who plan on boondocking a lot. They may want to give up the 6" to 8" space difference for a 30" more efficient home range (and you can fit those yummy 16" Take 'n Bake pizzas from Sam's Club in a 30" range without cutting it into pieces first). I have heard the apt size Premier Peerless ranges are good on LP and cook well. Highly touted by the off-grid solar groups. In case you want/need to stay at 24" wide. Don't forget to get the piezo ignition, not the standing pilot ignition no matter what stove you get. You can still light the top burners with a match and no power but you can't use the oven without power (uses little power that can be supplied from batteries with a small low cost inverter).

Now I need to go bake up a batch of brownies for David IN MY OVEN!!! I love my range.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #230
Bus Nut

Well, now that I have my furnace working...it's too hot to work without A/C.

I spent the last two hours wiring up my new electrical panel so that I can turn on my A/C unit. Now I can run A/C in the daytime and heat in the early mornings and evenings. Of course this time of year who knows which one you are going to turn on from day to day. Two days ago I was running the furnace in the house and the last two days I have been running the A/C.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #231
Bus Crazy

lol yay canadian weather!! it was +30(86f) here yesterday yet cold enough last night to use the furnace!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #232
Bus Nut

Well, I finally got a few days off so I decided to really put in some hours on the bus...

I managed to finish insulating the kitchen wall, built the first half of the kitchen counter, ran 2 conduits from the electrical box under the bus and up on the other side for both 12V and 120V service, installed the stove/oven, completed the couch frame, and installed my laminate floor complete with cork-foam underlay. And, who said you can't polish a turd?

Attached Thumbnails
photo1.JPG   photo2.JPG  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #233
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Lovely floor! And that couch looks nice too. Are you going to use containers to store items underneath?
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #234
Bus Nut

At first, the plan for the couch was to have it all sectioned off for storage with four doors. Then as I was planning it out I decided to use the rear-most section for the utilities, water pump next to the wall, then the power converter and breaker box towards the front. This picture shows the utility compartments. They will be accessible from above for winterizing. Then as I was building it, I ended up with a box at the rear and a box at the front with the middle section open. I liked the look and decided to leave the middle section open for storing larger items that wouldn't fit in a cabinet, things like playpens and strollers, you know, for the little people. When I put down the flooring, I covered all the area that will be visible, but now I may continue it inside the cabinets as well. I have lots of leftovers.

Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #235
Bus Nut

I went to the RV shop to pick up a couple switches and random stuff, and I happened to find a brand new double sink at a very good price. I talked them down a little more and come home with my kitchen sink! After a little work I managed to fit a double sink into a single sink space!

The plumbing was a bit of a trick, but I managed to keep the pipes out of the way (for the most part) and got a little creative with the trap. There is very little clearance anywhere.

Attached Thumbnails
photo-1.JPG   photo 3.JPG  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #236
Bus Nut

I am a little excited about how well the plumbing turned out on the double sink. I originally planned for a medium size single sink, which would allow me to put in a pullout pantry on the far right. After getting the double sink, I figured the pantry idea was done, but, it turns out that the plumbing lined up great, and there is still enough room for a nice deep pullout pantry. I set a piece of plywood as a divider to show how things line up in this pic.

Heres a bit better pic of the kitchen area, it will eventually get faced in solid oak finished with a dark mahogany stain and satin varathane.

And this shows how it all fits together, just ignore the disaster on the other side of the wall.

Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo-2 copy.JPG   photo-3 copy.JPG  
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #237
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Really nice work on the sink installation
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #238
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

That sure looks to be a great kitchen layout.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #239
Bus Nut

After deciding the height I wanted to make the bed, I built a short wall to separate the bedroom area from the underbed storage, as well as to provide space to run the pex water pipes and the 3" ducting for the heat duct in the bathroom. I layer down a 2x4 footer and attached 1/2" plywood to make the short wall, which ended up at about 15" high. Then after running the water pipes and securing them down, I built a bed frame out of 2x6 spruce, 2x2's and 1/2" plywood. This was then attached to the outer wall through the metal ribs and to the wall studs of the bathroom. The corner nearest the front is allowed to 'float' giving it a unique look, yet it is as strong as a deck! I have no doubt that this will hold the weight and remain very solid. It also allows us space to tuck stuff under the bed from the inside while keeping our rear storage separate and out of sight. Here's a pic.

After going to a few carpet stores looking for a piece of good carpet that is about 5' x 6', and being told that they don't keep small pieces, or they make area rugs out of the leftovers, I waited until after hours and went 'dumpster diving' in the bin behind one of the shops and scored a nice piece of carpet and a big piece of underlay. Now that is the right price for carpeting the bedroom! Here's a pic with the underlay down, carpet is to go in tomorrow.

The one thing I am glad of, is that I didn't put the carpet down before testing the water pipes for leaks. Yesterday I completed the sink install, hooked up the shower, and checked all the connecting parts to make sure they are tight. Then I hooked up the hose, forgot the pressure regulator, and turned on the tap. I went inside the bus, everything looked good, checked the water pump connections, no leaks, no leaks up front, but also no water coming through the kitchen sink. Then I looked back and saw a waterfall flooding the back of the bus! I quickly turned off the water, threw down some towels and quickly grabbed my drill and punched a hole through the floor to drain the water before it got under my new laminate flooring I just put in up front. When I originally ran pipe, I ran pex throughout, but then realized that behind the fridge is exposed to outside air, and light, bad for pex. So I ran copper pipe behind the fridge and used copper to pex fittings to tie them together. What I forgot to do was tie them together! I had an open ended copper pipe with a pex fitting on the end directly connected to my full pressure water source shooting water back towards the bathroom while I was checking the front half of the bus! Oops. Well its cleaned up now, and no leaks at any connection that I actually remembered to make! Now the carpet can go in.
Attached Thumbnails
photo10.JPG   photo11.JPG  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #240
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Good progress Everything seems to be coming together and it looks nice