Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
cnc build

hey folks!

maybe some of you know, but half a year or so ago , i got me a genuine chinese cnc router table. in my head, i thought it be a push button, cabinet making machine. well, i was wrong. kinda.

don't get me wrong, its a wonderful machine. the leaning curve is steep. machining is new to me, and plywood is expensive. it does exactly what you tell it to do.

so i had the opportunity to build out a van with the new router. i think it was a 2015 ford promaster.

building with the cnc, means building everything first on the computer, in autocad, in real size, with real joints.

it gives you lots of time to be creative, but you have to put in the work to make it more than just a sketch. its going to have to work in real life at that dimension.

anybody interested in the software can download what i use for free. fusion 360. look for the hobbyist free version.https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...xoCNDYQAvD_BwE

the van went thru a couple different iterations. the client chose a bed across the back with a garage space underneath, and a small kitchenette/potti area up front.

I'm not much for taking pictures in process and the client moved in to the van as i was finishing, so there were never any good beauty shots of the build. but it sure was fun, can't wait to build another, next one's gonna be faster, better....

the van was named "van gueax", a lousiana take on spelling of the artist's name.

the cnc makes for great labels. the battery box got a similar label. vents got cut in the wood for the refriderator, and the mattress (not shown).
cabinets included a hidden potti cabinet, kitchenette, fridge, upper cabinets, storage cab across the back.
the owner did her own electrical. she's got 2x200ah lithium batteries and installing some more panels on the roof.

it was a steep learning curve, and it only gets easier. i'm looking forward to doing more.
Attached Thumbnails
floorplan v3.jpg   IMG_6792.JPG   IMG_6832.JPG   IMG_6840.JPG   IMG_6868.JPG  

IMG_6870.JPG   IMG_6906.jpg   IMG_6911.jpg   IMG_6913.jpg   IMG_6919.jpg  

Old 04-14-2022, 05:26 AM   #2
Bus Geek

well done you!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 36,000
That's great work. I can appreciate the time it takes to get cnc going, then be good enough to use it. My bus build used a lot of cad and cnc.... Turns out great, but definitely not the time save many think it is...
JA6net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA6net View Post
Turns out great, but definitely not the time save many think it is...
maybe a month into this, i realized, the same. i can cut pieces by hand faster than i can setup a piece for the machine to cut.

however, i can't follow the straight lines as well as the machine makes. it makes patterns with ease, whole pieces of furniture at once. it'd be more efficient if i did more builds. roughly the same amount of work goes into 1 piece or 10, the savings comes when you are doing the 10.

tolerance and fit were issues with me.... on the cnc, a 1/2" slot will not accept a 1/2" piece of wood. you have to make the slot .005" over and the piece .005" under. that seems to give a real tight fit. if i left one of those out, i'd have to beat the piece in the slot with a hammer. if i left both out, it isnt going to fit.

with the first build under my belt, im open to doing more. if anyone wants peices or parts cut onthe cnc, i'd be happy to do it and flat pack ship them back to you.

I'm going to open up my property for builders to come and self service build their own bus. if i can help, great. we'll see how that goes this summer.

if you are out and about Colorado this summer, stop by and check it all out.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1939
Coachwork: Union City?
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 95hp Flathead
Where are you in Colorado? I'll be in Denver next month. My son (who lives in Denver) has been interested in CNC routers and has talked about having some things made for a teardrop trailer he is building on one. We would be interested in checking yours out.
SDJunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

I'm on your way.

i live near North Sterling Reservoir. that's the closest map feature to me. i'm about 2 miles from the res, 10 miles north of Sterling, CO.

rapid city is a 3-4 hrs depending on the drive.

here is a short video of the machine running

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ToqrS64c71pBQrcB8