Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
Post Corbi-Hab Build Progress

I’m making headway on my short-bus conversion, a 1999 GMC Savana cutaway 5 window wheelchair school-bus. I Purchased it from a Hudson Valley school district at auction with 145 K miles on it. Corbi has a 6.5 GM/DT diesel engine that so far, runs well.

The main challenges to date were removing the rubber and plywood floor-covering. Since the bus had a 3 wheelchair capacity, I needed to remove three sets of Q-Straint attachments, bolted to the underneath. One set was above the gas tank. The other two had access from below, but were firmly rusted in. Another challenge is the physical limitation of where I’m parked: It’s a rented spot in a social service agency parking lot—so the building managers rent out spots by the month that are not needed by the agency. So, I had to contain debris in the bus until I ran out of space and had enough to bring it to the privately-run building materials recyclers. I finally dropped off the last load of debris, and started on the sub-flooring lastI used this site primarily for ideas about building the floor. I took in account my parking situation, and decided to use 1/2 inch xps board under 1/2 in of plywood. There was one large hole and a few lesser ones caused by rust—I have a corrugated galvanized metal deck. I decided to use a rust inhibitor primer to prevent further decay. This week, I’m going to tape the seams of the foam boards, and get ready for the plywood install. Its feels good to reach this stage of the conversion.

Corbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
I’m making headway on my short-bus conversion, a 1999 GMC Savana cutaway 5 window wheelchair school-bus. I Purchased it from a Hudson Valley school district at auction with 145 K miles on it. Corbi has a 6.5 GM/DT diesel engine that so far, runs well.

The main challenges to date were removing the rubber and plywood floor-covering. Since the bus had a 3 wheelchair capacity, I needed to remove three sets of Q-Straint attachments, bolted to the underneath. One set was above the gas tank. The other two had access from below, but were firmly rusted in. Another challenge is the physical limitation of where I’m parked: It’s a rented spot in a social service agency parking lot—so the building managers rent out spots by the month that are not needed by the agency. So, I had to contain debris in the bus until I ran out of space and had enough to bring it to the privately-run building materials recyclers. I finally dropped off the last load of debris, and started on the sub-flooring lastI used this site primarily for ideas about building the floor. I took in account my parking situation, and decided to use 1/2 inch xps board under 1/2 in of plywood. There was one large hole and a few lesser ones caused by rust—I have a corrugated galvanized metal deck. I decided to use a rust inhibitor primer to prevent further decay. This week, I’m going to tape the seams of the foam boards, and get ready for the plywood install. Its feels good to reach this stage of the conversion.
Good stuff. How will you be using the bus? Weekend getaway, full time liveabord, something in between?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Good stuff. How will you be using the bus? Weekend getaway, full time liveabord, something in between?
Hi Rucker, thank you for your reply. Well, its a work in progress. I recently retired from a college English department with a measly retirement plan. So, I'm dealing with some financial restraints. I'd first like to take the bus on a week's trip, maybe do some dry camping and campground stuff. I want to be in or near forests and hiking trails. I'm also interested in meetups with other skoolies--share, have fun, see interesting builds. How's it going with you?
Old 07-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Skoolie

July 23 update

A milestone of sorts. Yesterday I purchased plywood for the subfloor. I did did some math to determine the number of panels and at what length to cut them at the lumber yard. The cost for panels was very high; I seemed criminal to have to cut pieces to fit. Today I began to seal the bottom sides, to get ready for a coat of primer. Next, check for fit, then it's time for using screws to attach to wood supports below. I ve managed to avoid making more holes in the gavanized metal base.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210722_174129222_HDR.jpg  
Old 08-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Skoolie

Side Wall Framing

I have framed in most of one side of the bus. I managed to get past the annoying seat hanger problem.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hi Rucker, thank you for your reply. Well, its a work in progress. I recently retired from a college English department with a measly retirement plan. So, I'm dealing with some financial restraints. I'd first like to take the bus on a week's trip, maybe do some dry camping and campground stuff. I want to be in or near forests and hiking trails. I'm also interested in meetups with other skoolies--share, have fun, see interesting builds. How's it going with you?
Good to hear. I also chose not to spring for an RV due to cost and affordability (and reliability, and straight-up coolness).

For the record I left the interior of my 6-window fiberglass shuttle intact, floors, walls, Qstraints, ceiling, and built out from there. Not worried about Instagram, I suppose.

I am quite surprised at how many people strip out the floor-what a bear! I'm also very surprised at the number of folks who rip out the rear A/C, but you've probably seen all those posts pro and con.

Have you looked into plumbing and electrical systems? What are your initial thoughts for your bus?

One of the harder things to do on my bus was put in the graywater tanks; the most expensive thing so far was the house electrical system, but I feel that is a very worthwhile investment.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
Skoolie

Post Corbi replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Good to hear. I also chose not to spring for an RV due to cost and affordability (and reliability, and straight-up coolness).

For the record I left the interior of my 6-window fiberglass shuttle intact, floors, walls, Qstraints, ceiling, and built out from there. Not worried about Instagram, I suppose.

I am quite surprised at how many people strip out the floor-what a bear! I'm also very surprised at the number of folks who rip out the rear A/C, but you've probably seen all those posts pro and con.

Have you looked into plumbing and electrical systems? What are your initial thoughts for your bus?

One of the harder things to do on my bus was put in the graywater tanks; the most expensive thing so far was the house electrical system, but I feel that is a very worthwhile investment.

Hi Rucker, you raise several relevant points about bus conversion. When I finally pulled up my floor, I realized that the base was corrugated galvanized metal. This material resists rust. There were still holes and corrosion, but the plywood was in good shape. This seems to be a recommended step because of the steel bases, and the chance that there is rust, holes and damage to the plywood. The other reason is that once the build is complete, it would be hard to go back and make repairs. Your second point about Instagram is well taken. I wonder how much influence AI has on curating what posts I see, and thus the amount of engagement I have with the site. I’m sure my direction is being influenced by what appears on my feed. The whole idea of FaceBook and Google pushing me in a direction that I haven’t agreed or consented to is scary. Your last question about electrical and plumbing is important as I’m moving toward positioning different functions on a floor plan. Since I am considering dry camping, a decent supply of battery storage would be high on my list. Since keeping them charged by the bus alternator is not recommended, having a shore power connection and outlet would be an important feature. Can you direct me to any board posts on this topic? For plumbing, I’m going the basic route of on board fresh and gray water jugs and using the marine foot pump for water pressure. I’m not sure If I want to install my own compostable toilet yet. I’m anxious to set a destination and get to it!
Old 08-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hi Rucker, you raise several relevant points about bus conversion. When I finally pulled up my floor, I realized that the base was corrugated galvanized metal. This material resists rust. There were still holes and corrosion, but the plywood was in good shape. This seems to be a recommended step because of the steel bases, and the chance that there is rust, holes and damage to the plywood. The other reason is that once the build is complete, it would be hard to go back and make repairs. Your second point about Instagram is well taken. I wonder how much influence AI has on curating what posts I see, and thus the amount of engagement I have with the site. I’m sure my direction is being influenced by what appears on my feed. The whole idea of FaceBook and Google pushing me in a direction that I haven’t agreed or consented to is scary. Your last question about electrical and plumbing is important as I’m moving toward positioning different functions on a floor plan. Since I am considering dry camping, a decent supply of battery storage would be high on my list. Since keeping them charged by the bus alternator is not recommended, having a shore power connection and outlet would be an important feature. Can you direct me to any board posts on this topic? For plumbing, I’m going the basic route of on board fresh and gray water jugs and using the marine foot pump for water pressure. I’m not sure If I want to install my own compostable toilet yet. I’m anxious to set a destination and get to it!
DIY composting toilet is the way to go. Cheap and effective.

For shore power, not sure there's a specific thread. My recommendation for a simple setup is a 30A service with a few receptacles scattered in the bus, don't try to integrate with the battery and inverter if you do one, just plug in to the appropriate outlet.

A step up from that would be GoPower autotransfer box that prioritizes shore power. Then all your AC circuits work the same way regardless of whether you're on battery or shore power.

For a battery, make a list of the devices you think you'll be using and let us know-we can help provide suggestions for system design. I have 280 amp-hours of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo), which is pricey but lasts much, much longer than lead acid or other types. You could price out 100 amp batteries to get a feel for pricing.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
Skoolie

Corbi-Hab progress update August 21

Since my last update, I completed the wall wood framing that covers the seat attachment bar. This allows room for more insulation. I ordered hemp batts that will be cut to size and doubled up in most bays. I'm now working on framing the wheelchair door. I was hoping to find a carpenter to build an insert so I could remove the door, but no one has answered my Craig's List ad. I'm basically building over the locking mechanism with 2x3s, adding foam insulation pieces in tight spots, and leaving room for batt insulation. I'm thinking about using the wood frame to support this side of the bed frame. I completed the left side section as a free-standing unit. It will have hinged plywood doors. I'm improving my carpentry skills: more accurate measurements, better cuts with the hand saw, using a long drill bit to make angled pilot holes, so I don't have to use the Kreg pocket hole jig for every joint. I started to like framing- getting to see a wall go up is satisfying. I'm still having issues with cutting 2x2s. My cuts, even with a fine tooth saw, still are off.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Sounds like you're going good, keep at it. I can't cut anything decently without a table saw and a mitre saw.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
Skoolie

Post Update 9/12

Since my last blog entry, a while ago, the build has moved ahead with some delays over design and build problems. The one that took the most time to solve was the passenger side bench that contained the slide out section for the bed. As already reported, my measurements result in joints being off square leading to wood frames not square. So, when I built the sliding part, the two pieces didn’t fit together as planned, and needed a lot of adjustments, or fudging. Design-wise, I also didn’t anticipate how the slide needed support when it was in its stored position and as it was sliding out to its bed position. I realized that the long end of the frame had to be attached outside of the base frame. Eventually, by unscrewing and repositioning, as well as shaving off wood from the sides of both frame and slide. The slide-out portion works pretty well. Legs were added to support it in the open position. I'll post photos soon.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #12
Skoolie

Post Sliding Bed pictures

See attached pictures for bed progress.
Attached Thumbnails
sliding bed.2.jpg   sliding bed 1.jpg  
Old 12-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #13
Skoolie

Post Corbi-hab progress 12-10-21

Since my last build update, there has been a shift to more design work rather than building frames and walls.

Getting someone to sew mattress/cushion covers was a small milestone, especially finding someone local. It is taking a surprising amount of time for it to be completed. Its going to feel good to have this end of the interior decorated.

I found myself struggling over the adaptation of the found bedroom dresser to the correct dimensions for kitchen base cabinets and a counter. This entailed raising the height 5 inches. I wanted to use the wood I had on hand, and that led to making a cardboard model showing how the different members would fit together. I had to make sure that there was a good way to secure it to the top edge of the base/dresser top (I discarded the dresser top because it needed repair). The whole thing was time consuming, and in hindsight, purchasing 5” wide boards might have saved time at the expense of strength. Today, I purchased a butcher-block countertop, as my original idea of using a live edge slab become unworkable.

At my local builder’s reuse center, I found sheets of homasote at a discount as well as quarts of off-white paint. There were several place that needed filling in, and this worked out well—I still track paint on to my street clothes.

I lost my paid parking spot. No one has answered my CL ad and when I reply to ads and indicate that it is a cutaway size truck (no mention of the school bus body) there is rarely follow-up. I’m now parking on a city side-street that is part of a site managed by the state—a reservoir that feeds into the city water supply. I’m keeping a low profile, changing spaces, and staying alert for attentive passerby.

Over these months, I can point to feeling better about self-reflection versus self criticism. In one instance, I’m more questioning about what led up to a course of action or design; I hold back judgement, and try to give myself the benefit of the doubt about the factors, at that time, which contributed to the decision. On the other hand, I can be self-critical, making judgements about my skills, thought process, or poor result. As a rule, in order to stay the course, a large dose of self analysis works much better, but if there is judgement to made, to drop it quickly so it can’t linger too long and interfere with what needs to be done.

I’m planning on finalizing the kitchen design, and adding a plywood platform that folds over the top two stairs of the entrance to make room for my pooch during the drive.

Be Well, builder friends!
Old 12-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I think we can all relate to the "self criticism" you mentioned.
For most of us, we learn as we go. It's important to understand that nothing is etched in stone, my overall bus design/plan is still intact but there have been many adjustments, kitchen and dinette switching sides being the biggest. Other changes have evolved as I try to use space efficiently and try to anticipate our comfort needs and such.
So, build on, post pics and appreciate the new skills you develop.

I have a power converter for sale that would be perfect for your bus...see it in the classified section on this site.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #15
Skoolie

BYC,

It's good to hear that other builders have second thoughts and revise plans. I'll post some pictures of my flip down platform soon. It went in with out much drama, after pulling up a piece of stair covering. The driver area will need a plan eventually.

I'm not working on electrics yet. I'll have a look at this device anyway. I'm still using my aux battery for cabin lighting and battery tender.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #16
Skoolie

fold down platform

These are Picts of my passenger side platform that makes more room for my doggie while travelling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211213_135636286_HDR.jpg   IMG_20211213_135724783_HDR.jpg  
Old 12-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
maybe attach a string to it so you don't have to bend over to lift it off the steps???
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #18
Skoolie

Post Corbi-hab progress March-2022

My parking situation still feels temporary. I'm looking over my shoulder for signs of complaints. A DCR (Department Conservation and Recreation) truck pulled into a spot a few down from me, but didn’t say anything and yesterday another truck that said "park ranger" stopped across the street. A guy got out and examined permit decals intently on that side of the street, then left. I was holding my breath for a few then.

The kitchenette and shelf above is about complete. I filled in the gap between the top of the dresser and the extension with a 1x5 board that I trimmed with a router. Later I drilled two holes in the right panel of the base so I could insert cap screws into the 2x4 wall. This was to prevent collapse in case of a sudden halt.

I felt good about the shelving. It is a custom design. It’s anchored securely from the ceiling beam and sits on a horizontal member secured to the side.

I had a realization that measuring and cutting are separate skill to installation. I credited some of my installation errors to inaccurate measurements or cuts. I know realize that the members already installed are more likely to blame, especially as the usual plumb and level guides are out the window. In fact, I need to adjust the square cuts to mirror the angles that exist, not complain about my workmanship. For some reason, this took me sometime to realize.

Otherwise, I’m looking forward to better weather as there were many cold days this winter. It looks like painting prep and the design and the building of a passenger seat and benches behind the driver side. Finances need to be addressed too, which means bringing in some income sooner than later.
Attached Thumbnails
AEE8090F-6781-4591-9336-3D3964A275DB.jpg   B43332BB-E186-4BA4-AB37-2E0E31BD0479.jpg  

Tags
school bus conversion, short bus, short bus conversion