Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International Genesis
Engine: Navistar D466
Delos (the Struggle Bus)

I am feeling pretty sad today. My boyfriend (ex-boyfriend) and I bought this bus back in July together, and it quickly became apparent that he wasn't capable of a build like this. Or maybe he is but the motivation isn't there. He payed the initial 2500 to buy the bus, plus a tow, and I've paid for the deposit and all materials/parts since then and did most of the work. Over 1k in materials so far. The bus is gutted, floor fixed, and new subfloor is in. She runs and drives now, although he has never driven the bus and I think is afraid to. I fixed several electrical problems and all the windows and a significant coolant issue. I have enjoyed many many late nights happily working on the bus alone. The bus is also parked at my house, which means I am having to store all the materials and dispose of all the waste.

But now that it's clear the relationship needs to end, I am not sure what to do with the bus. He only wants the bus out of spite and because he like the FB Likes, however he has no good place to store it or motivation/ knowledge/ skill to work on it. But in honesty I don't have a way to pay back his initial investment for the bus and he has the title at his house. So I'm tempted to load the bus with what few tools belong to him, and just drive it over to his house and park it and let him deal with it. He has in the past offered to let me make payments but I realize now he doesn't mean that, and it will just be something he'll hold over my head, or worse use as a way to weasel back into my life.

I'm honestly a bit heartbroken over losing something that I've poured my blood and sweat and what little disposable income I have into. I have a motorcycle that I listed for sale, but I'm not sure it will sell fast enough. I really feel like the right thing to do is just cut my losses and give him the bus before I get sucked in any worse. I've definitely learned my lesson about embarking on something like this with someone you don't really know well enough.

The only thing keeping me from crying about this whole thing is that my teenage daughter recently bought a shuttle bus and I can put some of my materials and appliances toward her build and I still get to enjoy bus-life and the renovation build process with her. I guess I just wanted to vent and I am just sad to see my bus go, and more sad knowing he won't be able to take the bus any further along and it will just sit.
Attached Thumbnails
floor paint.jpeg   messages_0 (27).jpeg   messages_0 (26).jpeg   messages_0 (28).jpeg  

Delos356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
maybe I can help

Hi, I am in Topeka. I think I can help you keep your bus. I have references from a couple of other people I have helped.

william 785 207 7600
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hello Delos
Sorry to hear your situation, sounds like you're the one with all the motivation to get it done. At the start was this his idea or yours? Or were you equally interested in a skoolie? Looks like you've made good progress and sounds like you have the ability to get it done. Can you keep it and continue to work on it where it is?
If your relationship has gone south don't let anyone hold something like that over you, put the emotional's of the bus aside and determine its value now and what you have both put in to it. If you want it, do that and take charge of forcing his hand to figure out a way for you to keep it.
Good luck with sorting this out.
Stay strong and safe.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Sounds to me like you have put in over half of the value given what labour is really worth.

And spiritually even more so, you should find a way to keep the bus yourself

don't let a few grand stand in your way, set your mind to it, reach out for some help and keep the project going.

is just my perception / opinion.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Talk to a paralegal or attorney and see if you can file a lien on the title for your time and materials. Short of that there's always small claims court. If you can make yourself enough of a nuisance you may be able to strike up a compromise. Don't give up
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I once started building a shorty Blue-bird with someone.. really restoring then he ran away and found someone else "sexier than me".. so I left the bus sit.. I put it in a garage.. where it sat forlorn except for the semi annual inspection I was required to give the owners of the storage unit that it wasnt abandoned.. even though it was really sad there by himself.. nothing but a memory of when I installed the upgrades to his little engine and A/C.. a couple of bumbling idiots started a fire in the garage and damaged it to where the insurance said it was gone.. (its engine and transmission lived on in another bus)..

that loss of a relationship and then the bus (7 years after the relationship).. re-ignited my interest.. *MY* interest in busses, Now i have 3 Happy busses (and 1 thats still a little sad).. more than ever i find interest in the builds and the road-trips in caravans with friends across the country..

dont let the defunct relationship destroy your desire, drive, and energy for your project.. even if he takes it to his house.. chances are in a few months he will have lost interest or neighbors will hound him or it will get in the way.. and he will want it gone.. the only reason he wants it now is because you want it.. if you didnt want it he wouldve tossed the title and the keys in your mailbix long ago.. but if it must go thwn get another one at some point and build it as your passion.. not through someone elses eyes but through your own.. sure at times i miss my past partner and my shorty chevy Bluebird but really im in a better place now and following my own passion with drive and energy...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I hope you get sole possession of the bus. I think it's very cool that you and your daughter are building twin skoolies.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I really appreciate everyone's kind words and encouragement. I haven't talked to the guy since Friday so it's been nice to have some peace and quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
dont let the defunct relationship destroy your desire, drive, and energy for your project.. even if he takes it to his house.. chances are in a few months he will have lost interest or neighbors will hound him or it will get in the way.. and he will want it gone.. the only reason he wants it now is because you want it.. if you didnt want it he wouldve tossed the title and the keys in your mailbix long ago.. but if it must go thwn get another one at some point and build it as your passion.. not through someone elses eyes but through your own.. sure at times i miss my past partner and my shorty chevy Bluebird but really im in a better place now and following my own passion with drive and energy...
You are exactly right. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to force his hand on the subject, let him deal with storage and planning and all that, and just be patient and see if it comes back to me. And yeah, he's pretty foolish about money and the 3k is nothing to him, so part of me is surprised he even cares about the money.

At any rate, I am going to continue to try and raise the money. For now I'm not putting any more work into the bus to mitigate my losses in case he takes the bus back.

My best friend and I DID take the big girl out camping Saturday, just in case it is my first and last time. It was awesome, parked right next to a pond on some private land. My friend Sarah went fishing and caught a few bass, and we cooked over a campfire and had champagne to christen the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
messages_0 (29).jpeg   messages_0 (32).jpeg   messages_0 (31).jpeg   messages_0 (30).jpeg   messages_0 (33).jpeg  

Old 10-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

wow,

that is a short wheel base. Ought to get turned around in tighter spaces better than most busses.

I hope you can keep it in the end. Happy for you that you got to take it out.

looks like a beefy, tough little bus. nothin wimpy on that rig!

william
Old 10-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I hope you get sole possession of the bus. I think it's very cool that you and your daughter are building twin skoolies.
We have really enjoyed the process! It's nice to be able to take 2 different approaches. More than one way to skin a cat, and all that. If something ends up not as cool or as easy as I hope, we always get a second chance at doing a better job on hers, you know?

Plus with her little shuttle, it makes sense to do some things differently, and she has different priorities. She's such a smart kid she comes up with some really good ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
messages_0 (18).jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
that is a short wheel base. Ought to get turned around in tighter spaces better than most busses.

I hope you can keep it in the end. Happy for you that you got to take it out.

looks like a beefy, tough little bus. nothin wimpy on that rig!

william
It turns on a DIME (well, for a bus ). I am still getting used to the tail-swing, but it's nice to be able to park it next to the garage like that. I think I got lucky stumbling across a 29footer.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Delos356

With the bikes, and the bus, do you have enough assets to obtain a $2500 loan from a bank?

William
Old 10-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9 common rail
Your ex boyfriend is an idiot
John 321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Just be patient and see what shakes out of the trees. Glad to see you have gumption and skills to do such a project, best of luck Jennifer.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: C2045
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I feel your pain

I embarked on our Van Hool conversion (VanHoolie) and after planning it once it was real she "could not see living this lifestyle). Remember most people, 97% of people are 12 milers. The live their whole life in the 12 miles from their house to their job and back to their house. You are obviously a strong person with a desire to grow and change and see the glory of this beautiful planet. Do not give up on your dream. Dreams have a special life. If you walk away from them or procrastinate on them....they disappear leaving regret. I am finishing mine. Finish yours!
Bikeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

So, you just give him the bus, or you could hide the bus, or you could bill him for labor and storage.

I would be inclined to breakaway clean. You have gained knowledge and skill. That is something that can't be taken from you. Dangling entanglements just aren't worth the time.
Johnthebusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Praying for you and your situation. May God lead you and bless you with a good resolution.
Take care.
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Unfortunately, without an upfront agreement on wages, you can't bill for time and materials, same with filing a lien. If the title is in his name, legally it's his. Sucks, but I would not put anything more into it till you know who's gonna get it.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
You have learned some tough lessons. That is actually a good thing. You gave gained knowledge and experiance. Now you know how much you enjoy the building.
A suggestion if we might, Ruth and I agree. Take your materials that are not attached and keep them for your next build. Consider what you have put into the bus as tuition in the school of hard knocks. Give you ex an opportunity to come to an equitable settlement but don't count on it.
Provide him written notice to remove his bus or begin paying storage. Impound lots charge between $50-$150 per day.
This will force the issue. He will either take the bus, pay you to keep it, or let you have it. My personal opinion is that unless he releases his claim to the bus, that you will be far ahead for it to move on with your ex and not be an albatross around your neck.
Welcome to the skoolie mindset,
Rock-n-Ruth
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #20
Site Team

I’ve deleted a truly inappropriate comment, and a followup (that was A-OK) that quoted it to call it out.

Thanks also to the folks who reported this.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote