Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #1

Doris the skoolie

Since our last post we have purchased a bus, drove her home and started on demo. Now it’s time to start our conversion diary.

About the bus
Won at govdeals for $2471 including sellers? cut
It’s a 76 passenger 1996 International amtran genesis FE 7.6L diesel 4 speed transmission, not exactly sure which one, maybe someone here can inform us? Since being used in Colorado it has salters and retarder, air brakes, air ride seat and, 3 underside storage bins- that’s everything significant I can think of right now.

As mentioned we’ve started demo- have all the seats removed, started ripping up the floor and removed all the screws from the interior side panels, figuring out how to remove them is another story. But I have a question, we planned on scrapping the seats but since steel isn’t worth anything we thought of another possibility, can the steel tubing from the seats be used as the support/frame for a 1’ roof raise? Is it strong enough? We’d love to reuse it if we can. What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
3D9FFB72-5B0C-4CA0-80D3-EC1764571EF8.jpg   22331619-3490-4720-B6CA-395CEFEDA382.jpg   533BCF79-D28B-4689-87B5-97D7E6D92C76.jpg  

coleburner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:20 AM   #2

Sorry about the crooked pictures, still figuring this out. And the bottom 2 are the seats for reference.
coleburner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
The seat frames appear to be fairly stout, I think they would support the weight of the roof if welded into place well, I don't think they will give as much support as the original ribs or even square steel that fits inside, the main hurdle I see with reuse is attaching the new skin to a round bar. You would have to add something flat to the part facing outward to fasten rivets, But that would add some integrity.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, diy, doris, full time, skoolie