Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #1

Year: 1977
Coachwork: international
Rated Cap: 66
esquinu ocha

hello! our little family (me, my husband steven, and our boys nicholas (4) and noah(1)) got a 1977 international last tuesday.

we've been busy bees trying to undo everything that the last owners have done. they had a kitchen and a bathroom done. when we saw the ad on craigslist we thought "sweet! that's the hard part already done! " yeah right. lol

they didn't pull up the rubber flooring. there are no water tanks. the toilet is a regular house toilet (with a broken lid, ftw). they built wheel well cover but they are like 6 inches too tall. and the dirt. seriously. ew.

oi. so we are stripping it and starting from scratch.

we've done a lot so far but we still have a ways to go. we live in the mohave desert so it's difficult to get much done in the heat. especially when steven is working all day and i while i'm working on the bus, i also have to make sure the boys are staying cool/out of trouble.

here's my blog --> http://equinsu-ocha.blogspot.com/

our big plan is to work our butts off around here all winter and travel in the bus all summer.

itsrtimedownhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #2

Re: esquinu ocha

so far, they are loving it!

we homeschool so our 4 year old is SUPER excited about having our very own school bus (which is, of course, the best part of brick and mortar schools! haha)
Old 08-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrtimedownhere
so far, they are loving it!

we homeschool so our 4 year old is SUPER excited about having our very own school bus (which is, of course, the best part of brick and mortar schools! haha)
Our eight year old loves our, er, um, HIS bus as well for about the same reason.......
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #4

i guess i shouldn't be too surprised to find another homeschooling family in this group.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrtimedownhere
i guess i shouldn't be too surprised to find another homeschooling family in this group.
Sorry, he's not home schooled just yet. I need to finish my paramedic school first, then he'll be home schooled. (I used to be a teacher and still have my Texas teaching license)
Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Having read through the blog I now think 'no way in hell will I buy a rv conversion' Think I'll stick with a bus--less work than ripping everything out. But I see you have strong little boys helping so maybe if I hire me a few neighborhood kids
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #7

for real! we thought we were getting off easy.

we probably would have left the kitchen but the bathroom and kitchen were in strange spots. the bathroom was in the front and the kitchen toward the back.

to me, the bathroom is more private. it should be in the back, next to the bedroom.

and the kitchen, like in a regular house, is where everyone congregates. it should be in the front with the rest of the living space.

speaking of kitchens, i'm IN LOVE with this kitchen: (3rd pic down) http://www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/sam/sam.htm

really, i love that whole bus. i'm a sewer. treadle machines make my knees weak.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Yes, that bus is the real deal. I got a tour of their bus years ago at the now defunct Ruch Barter Fair, in Oregon. Man, those were the days!
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #9

cool! i like the fort they have above the driver's seat too. we want to do something like that too.