Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Almost There

"Farther" conversion progress

Hi to all of you. In the first part of last year I purchased a 1978 Crown 35' bus with an Allison 4 speed auotmatic and a laydown 671 Jimmy diesel. I was fortunate to hook up with my new bus friend Ron(Thundercoach) who owns a 1981 35' Crown and in the process ran into Les Lampman(S-Caper). Strangely enough I was fortunate to run into another Crown owner by the name of Mickey (who has not named his bus) All live fairly close to my home on Fir Island, Washington. I named my Crown "Farther". The idea was that "Farther" would go farther than Further did.Further of course is the Magic Skool bus of the merry pranksters. This is an update. The first thing I did was to bring all of the mechanicals up to date. I had the engine rack reset with the govenor from 2150 rpm to 2275 rpm. 6 new Toyo 11. 22.5 radial tires to replace the split rims. Next came the task of removing the seats and getting rid of them. Thanks to Mickey I was able to put the seats in his dumpster two or three at a time per week. A time consuming process but at no cost. I was able to paint the bus this summer. White "Henry reflective roof. Maroon in the middle and Cream on the bottom. Now the all important floor plan. I was convinced I wanted a rear queen bed and started my plan around that premise. I also wanted a mid entry door so that my bus partner(wife or friend) would be sitting side by side with me with console in between . I am able to cut and reweld the rear slope of the interior of the bedroom area( where the rear seat was) from a slope to a 90* bend that enabled me to get an additional 6" front to rear on the sleeping area. This gives me 18" in front of the bed when you enter the room. I placed my chest of drawers on the right rear wheel well and my hanging closet on the left rear wheel well. Next was the head just forward of the chest of drawers with the shower just opposite ahead of the hanging closet. This arraingment took care of the rear of the bus and allowed me a 24" hall way for access to and from the sleeping area to the cooking and living areas. I used ball pop latches that are adjustable for tension as door latches with clamshell pulls so that Iwould not snag clothing as I walk down the isle. In the middle of the bus and just in front of the head I took the trusty sawzall and cut a 26" doorway and mounted my new mid entry door. This is not a difficult task, just a lot of planning. On the drivers side of the bus just forward of the shower and across fron the new mid entry door is the Fridge, countertop,sink,countertop and 4 burner gas stove with oven.Forward of the new mid entry door across from the kitchen is the drop down table and two chairs. I have yet to close off the original front entry door and place the new Gramag seats in position but that will come soon enough. Behind the driver/passenger seats there will be 6' on the passenger side back to the eating area with room for a couch/bed. Behind the drivers seat and back to the cook stove the Dickenson diesel heater will sit over the wheel well with hot water to other areas and behind that a chair or a desk. I framed the interior using hollow core doors and cedar framing with foam in between the uprights and skinning all of the interior with 1/4" mahogany plywood that is glued with titebond glue and pin nailed in place. I am going to buy my cabinets from "Home Despot" because the price is more than right and I want a professional look.( I can do a lot of things but my cabinet skills area not that great) Well enough out of me. Today is clean up day. I am sure that all of you realized the tremendous amount of tools it takes to do even the most simple of tasks. The framing is done the doors are hung and I am onto the the reskinning of the windows that I have removed. I do not have any pictures for you yet but am working on that.

Thanks for listening, J.B.

J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Doggone J.B., I've just got to get over that way to have a look! Sounds like things are going well and I need another "enthusiam" shot! Besides, I love those Crowns.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
Almost There

Thunder coach

Hi Les, Ron is coming up with his Crown "Thundercoach" tommorrow. He took the 671 out and replaced it with a big cam Cummins. I made him promise that he would wave when he passed me on the way up the pass. He is leaving for Cal next week. I need to see his bus as I am like you tired of working on mine.. I need a shot in the arm also. Call me before you come over to make sure that I am home. I could use another supervisor and some fresh ideas.

Later, J.B.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I hope your going to take pictures!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
Almost There

Pictures of "Farther"?

Hi Steve, I am not much of a picture taker but I will try to get some on the board. The problem is not in the taking of the pictures, it"s the posting of them to the computer and then getting it on the board. I will try very soon.

Later,J.B.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N
J B's Crown

Hi JB,
Sounds like your making great progress. I can't wait to see it in person but that will have to wait until the spring. We live about a hundred miles south of Portland. We hope to leave by the first of December for Mexico even though we have no interior yet. It's time for a road trip.
I'm sure you probably know this already but there are a couple of RV salvage places not too far from you. Singletons a little south of Olympia, they have mostly older stuff and Northwest RV supply in Eugene, OR, where we bought our door and windows. The windows are double pane, tinted, screened, new for $47 apiece. They are about $300 from Peninsula in Vancouver. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Looks like we're getting a good sized Crown group in the northwest. We've gotta all get together one of these days.
Good Luck
Jerry
http://www.peak.org/~jerryc/bus.htm
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:37 PM   #7
Almost There

Crown buses

Hi Jerry, Nice to hear from you. I had heard of Singletons but not of N.W. Salvidge. I sure could use a Phone # if you have time. I will share this E-mail with my two Crown buddies Ron & Mickey.

Thanks the info and pictures of your Rig, J.B.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:55 PM   #8
Skoolie

Here's a website for them. They have almost everything but you have to wheel and deal.
Jerry

http://www.rverschoice.com/nwrv_supply/
Old 11-12-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
Almost There

Hi Jerry, I will look into the window siuation. I went over your install pictures and it all looks good. I may be able to buy windows at that price. I thought I was going to have to wait and run around with steel sides. What type of windows do you suggest I buy for my Crown?

Thanks,J.B.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #10
Skoolie

As far as windows go, we don't have a lot of choice. Two things dictate the size, verticaly, cabinet height and sitting height and that leaves very little space. You can see the ones I've got are the perfect height. They fit in the original window height. I couldn't believe it when I found them. You could have taller windows but you give up wall space. ALL the motorhomes and trailers these days have much larger windows than will fit in a crown so there's not much to choose from.
If you have to live in the north country, double pane is the only way to go. I don't know about the R factor but they don't sweat. I've had these in long enough to be able to tell. The windshields and back windows sweat like a pig. These don't, very cool. I can tell it's also easier to heat. So it's gotta be easier to cool. I hope I get to find out real soon.
Air conditioning is a luxury. So I needed sliding, screened and tinted for the sun windows.
Also I needed a screen door. That's why I went for a motorhome door. I found one at NW RV supply that exactly fits the Crown door opening. It is a heavy steel door with automobile hardware, not potmetal trailer junk. I cried like a baby and paid $150. But now it's in and when I look at it I'm one happy guy.
I had a hard time figuring out what to do about windows too.
Good Luck
Jerry
Old 11-13-2004, 10:57 PM   #11
Almost There

Crown windows

Hi Jerry, Thanks for the info. I guess Iwill have to call them before I drive down. It's a long way for me since I live 221 miles north of the Oregon border. Good place to know about.

Thanks again, J.B.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Re: Thunder coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B.
Hi Les, Ron is coming up with his Crown "Thundercoach" tommorrow. He took the 671 out and replaced it with a big cam Cummins. I made him promise that he would wave when he passed me on the way up the pass. He is leaving for Cal next week. I need to see his bus as I am like you tired of working on mine.. I need a shot in the arm also. Call me before you come over to make sure that I am home. I could use another supervisor and some fresh ideas.

Later, J.B.
I may be free later today...I'll call ya!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 11-14-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
Here's a website for them. They have almost everything but you have to wheel and deal.
Jerry

http://www.rverschoice.com/nwrv_supply/
Hey Jerry, I'm about 15 miles from J.B. over here on Whidbey Island (no Crown though, justa Bluebird ). When you say "wheel and deal" whatcha got in mind? Are they way overpriced to start with or is it that they'll just give you a better price if you ask? Wished I had had time to stop there on my way to or from Lake Shasta in October but that trip is always a keep 'em rollin' affair. I'm 250 miles north of the Columbia River and what, another 120 or so into Oregon where NW RV Supply is? If I'm going to travel that far I'd like to make it worth the effort. I'd drive the bus down; maybe J.B. could make the trip with me

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 11-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #14
Skoolie

Hey Les,
I've spent quite a few hundred dollars there and they've always given me a good deal. BUT their prices on a lot of stuff is top dollar. Most of their stuffr is from newer rigs, whereas Singletons is mostly off older rigs. If you know what things are going for, you can talk them down. Lets face it, it IS a salvage yard and these ARE hard times. I have found the prices to be what they want and not what they will take. I've also found that it's better to catch them on a day when their not making much money. When they found out I wanted to buy not just one window but ten, they gave me 15% off. They are nice people. They are about 2 and 1/2 hours south of me or I'd run down there for you. I only have a couple of weeks before departure so no time for siteseeing trips. If I need something from them and have to go there I will let you Know.
Jerry
Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Hey Les, if you do make the trip I am about 30 miles south of Portland. I am not too far off I5 so if you want to stop by you are welcome.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:06 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Hi Jerry and Busone...thanks for the replies.

Jerry, thanks for the "inside scoop" on the pricing. I *think* I've finally convinced my self to pull out the windows on the bus, skin the sides and install radius corner RV windows (Bruin Gilda sure ended up looking great!). The decision would be a lot easier if I knew how to weld but what's life without a little challenge! I'll give them a call and tell them what I'm looking for and if they've got them what kind of $ they need. I think I'm at 9 windows; 6 of them about 48" long and maybe 15" tall and three of them about 24" wide and 15" tall. The lengths will be close but I've got to go out to the bus and double check the height. I'd also like to find a motorhome door to replace the bi-fold up front. And, I'm sure there will lots more goodies on the list!

Busone, I'll let you know if I head down that way. I may try and stop at Singleton's on the way down to check them out too. The schedule here is pretty tight right now and Christmas is getting way to close so this caper may have to wait until January or February...we'll see.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 11-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I bought a brand new motorhome door with a deadbold for $25. I would tell you where I got it but I forgot the phone number. The guy bought his property for cheap because the previous owner owned a glass shop and the barns and shop were filled with glass. He has motorhome doors and a few windows. Everything and anything is $25, he just wants every piece of glass gone. The door was a new one still in the box, there were a few others as well. I think I posted the phone number on the yahoo skoolie group. I would search the archives but the owner banned me from the group. He may also have deleted all the posts I ever posted. If not you might be able to find it.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Well I got a quick reply on my request for a quote on new Hehr windows for the bus. There were nine total; six 48" long windows and three 24" wide windows. The total was $2200 plus freight. Probably not a bad price for all new windows but more than I want to spend! Guess it'll be trips to Singleton's and NW RV Supply for sure.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 11-17-2004, 09:33 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to justcorey1960
door post

sorry looked for post on yahoo i remember reading it but could not find the post with # some of your post are still there -- surprised they where
Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #20
Almost There

Metal gauge for skinning?

Hi Jerry, Would you tell me what gauge metal you used to skin your bus with? Did you screw the metal on or weld it to the body. What size windows did you use? I was thinking of using 16 Ga metal(1/8") but I may be able to use 18 Ga. Any tips or ideas you may be able to share would be appreciated.

Thanks, J.B