Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Re: Finally Moliska is joining skoolie.net!

it always seem one step forward and two steps back.... at the very least do you think if i kept the valve closed I could still start it and at least get it up a 1/4 mile hill?

moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
er pipe threads can bite into the rubber.
Furthermore, I don't know any of the others on this board, But I am a man of honor and a Southern gentleman. A man of letters and with no ulterior motives. Therefore I will not post again on your thread unless asked.
I agree on the pipe threads cutting..even the ends of what i used was wanting to cut into the rubber instead of going into... I had trouble finding anything better at "s"lowes...(i knew to stay away from plastics thanx to this forum.).... would an auto parts store have the rip on the end of the metal type u turn.... mighty: you should post where ever you feel comfortable....you are cordially invited to do so if that is on my thread
Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

If you close just one valve, there will still be full pressure in the whole system. Luckily, there is almost certainly a second valve hiding somewhere, and if you close that one also, you can isolate the loop to the inside heaters. Even if the fitting should slide off, the leak would be minimal and you would be be able to keep driving.

Short term, moving the bus around the property, no problem. But I would not head out on the highway without finding and closing the second valve.

Correct fittings should be available at good auto parts stores -- specially the NAPA chain, which handles big truck parts in addition to small vehicle parts.

Let me see if I can dig up a suitable part to take a snap shot of -- if I can find it in the dark....

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

Well... I feel that a threaded fitting is less than ideal. Sure, the threads will probably grip better than smooth rubber, but the diameter is actually smaller than the pipe. Also, it is possible that a tiny leak of water might follow the threads.

Here is what's supposed to be there:

This is a radiator hose piece for a race car, but the concept is the same. The raised ridge all the way around is what you need.

Come to think of it, this piece was hand-made by a radiator shop, and perhaps a local radiator shop can make what you need.

The ones you buy from NAPA or some such store will probably be iron and much thicker. That's what Blue Bird used for in-line splices in my bus.

Correct, I installed plastic fittings intended for cold water because it was all I had available, and we were getting ready to go on a long trip, and my passengers remembered the previous trip as too @#$%^&* cold. And it held for that 1000 mile trip! But the next time I drove the bus, I did not even get out of town before the "geyser" went off. (Moral of that story: When you do something for temporary use, remember to re-do it properly, soon! )

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

it figures i did it wrong... it was easier the second time, I'm sure it will be even more easy the next... i think I'm officially consumed by this project....cant sleep...just found out my seamstress job for a friend is canceled until tues. MORE TIME FOR THE BUS, wish it wasn't dark and raining! want to remove all the appliances from trailer, ie. stove, fridge, hot water heater,...thinking of taking water heater to gas guy in town to see if it needs any repair...they are very nice and informative, the guy must be 75...just a little difficult to understand his slack jaw
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You didn't do it wrong at all. Your fitting actually looks like it will hold up well. I'll tell you a secret. If you use a threaded pipe fitting, sand it down on the threads. Use pipe sealant if you have any, and it will last forever. As a seamstress I will tell you my feelings. Don't laugh. Never mind I will save it for later.
that sounds like a good plan... for some reason i find my self more comfortable at the home supply stores...i think its because i can gawk the items with out questions,....auto stores everyone's very curious any always up my ass....sometimes i just need to touch what I'm looking at to imagine if it might work... dare i ask for a part by description not by part number...if i mention skoolie it all over...there imaginations run wild...how cute! seamstress..feelings..what?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

umm...can i just sand/grind some material off 90's to make a rib....really carefully? i dont know
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

necessity is the mother of invention....
Old 03-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

talk about the Chinese laughing...they make womens clothes all a size 0 and a 26'' bust... i didn't hear any feelings in there... just necessity... often fashion doesn't fallow need just appearance...form fallows function...at least that is what i thought...i need a ride to the store....planing on exchanging tailoring for ride...
Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

where is the degree button?... ya know the little circle ...
Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

manifestation...nothing happens without a thought preceding it.... i have so many thoughts and ideas how can "it" keep up?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That just shows your mind is operating properly within the confines of your reality because 'it' is a culmination of of your thoughts. 'True' means 'you' without the interference of the communists and demonic forces, If I may be so blunt.
idle hands....interference? i don't quite get the degree?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

shut eye never for my active brain
i can hear the crickets at the pond when i went to pee...so yeah! on spring time! finally...princess, sure after all my dog is "the duchess"...only royalty here in the ozarks....however..i do believe creativeness can exist in communism... one is not "always" without the other...
Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

group though: we are all involved in it more that we want to admit...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #35
maj
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: spartan
Engine: 5.9 cummins

Welcome. Looks like your well on your way. I know a bout not beeing able to sleep with this project running around in your head. I started working on mine about 3 weeks ago and Its all I think about. Work and weather keep getting in the way. ha ha. Last week I spent one day going to rv salvage places around here takeing pictures, and makeing notes on prices and avaliablity. I ask everybody questions. This web sites is also a fantastic resource.
maj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Another lady! Sweet! Not many of us around here. Love the dog, guessing she's part herder type breed? Can't help with the technical goods of the bus, sorry. But I love the fact you have curtains Other than Smitty, I think you are the only one who has curtains of any sort -sorta- put up.

That water tank, if you do decide to go with something different, might check local soda shops and distributors. They tend to have 15, 30, 55 gallon barrels dirt cheap. Would need a good cleaning.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

I may win this one, I have curtains that cover all of the windows including the rear, sides, front, and the door! Of course, I am taking out a half dozen windows, and tinting the rear and both sides.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: International DTA 360
Rated Cap: 65

Why not just take the cover off the front heater housing and reconnect the hose to the heater core?

"Make it so Number One"

https://errabundusbus.blogspot.com/
ErrabundusBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

today was beautiful.... even started sweating in the sun...awesome,... got some stuff done today and have more questions...figures..
Attached Thumbnails
2 052.jpg   2 044.jpg   2 050.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
2 005.jpg   2 008.jpg   2 009.jpg