Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Food storage

I'm about to graduate high school and move to a new state. I am planning to convert a Skoolie while going to the community college, and I was wondering what the options were for food storage. I'm a forager and avid gardener so I can generally find/grow my own food and find or grow enough to put back for winter (for my whole family) , but I do this with a massive chest freezer which is obviously not an option on a Skoolie, so I was wondering what would be the best route for food preservation and what other people have done for food storage. I have read that refrigerators and freezers don't work all that well, but living off of dehydrated food exclusively doesn't sound all that fun

P.S. the bus will be used for full time living, mostly because dorms are expensive and don't generally allow pets

Viola Sororia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
We have a full-sized chest freezer for our conversion. Not a biggie. We did away with some kitchen storage under the counter top and blended the counter top with the top door (it opens from the top).

Hope this helps.

M
Old 03-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
best storage option is caning,always has been. Get a caner and start collecting jars. You can run a small fridge and your tiny home on solar. Good luck in school.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola Sororia View Post
I'm about to graduate high school and move to a new state. I am planning to convert a Skoolie while going to the community college, and I was wondering what the options were for food storage. I'm a forager and avid gardener so I can generally find/grow my own food and find or grow enough to put back for winter (for my whole family) , but I do this with a massive chest freezer which is obviously not an option on a Skoolie, so I was wondering what would be the best route for food preservation and what other people have done for food storage. I have read that refrigerators and freezers don't work all that well, but living off of dehydrated food exclusively doesn't sound all that fun

P.S. the bus will be used for full time living, mostly because dorms are expensive and don't generally allow pets
Those small chest deep freezers are cheap and very efficient. I have read that you can pop the control switch out and peel a tape off a screw and turn the freezer into a Refrigerator. Use two with one freezer and one fridge. When off grid just use dry ice in the freezer and cover with a insulated blanket and know your inventory so you open the box rarely and quickly.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Cool ideas

Thank you all for your great suggestions!
Viola Sororia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, gardening, storage