Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2024, 05:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Front Door and Entryway

Hey Skooliers, hope this post finds you well!

We are about to tackle the front door, with the intention of removing the folding door, adding a wooden frame, and hanging a residential door.

Many people run into the issue I'm having: the bottom stair, where the door threshold would sit, does not extend out far enough from the bus to support the threshold. The typical solution is to weld a piece of 1-1/4" metal to the stair floor to extend it. (See images below). Now, I am no welder.

Question 1: Can I use wood?
One guy on Youtube (Harmony Express - video at bottom) used a pressure-treated 1x3, which he appears to have wrapped in flashing. Is this at all suggestible, or a bit mistake in the long-term?

Question 2: Can I rivet instead of weld?
Would I have to weld, or could I rivet a piece of metal? For instance, take a 90 degree solid angle, and rivet the vertical piece to the existing edge of stair floor - with the horizontal piece parallel with the floor?

Question 3: Hiring a welder?
In case the response is a resounding "YOU HAVE TO WELD", what is the best way to hire a welder these days? I have used Angi recently, but the results were hit-or-miss. Any recommendations?

Question 4: Door hinges directly on metal?
Lastly, a general question about hanging a residential door. It looks cleanest to build a wood frame and attach the hinges to the wood, but this requires me to saw some of the width off of my door. Has anyone attached the door hinges directly to the metal of the bus door opening? Any reason to/not to do this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 3.07.42 PM.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	76387

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 3.06.54 PM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	76388

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 3.06.26 PM.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	76389

So much thanks to anyone with the time to advise!

Video where the guy used pressure-treated wood:

jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
I used a cheap wood door and within months the bottom of the door went to crap.

I then rebuilt it using 1x3 tubing to make a new door frame/jamb and built my new door inside that frame. Secured by screwing the new door frame directly to the bus steel.

On one build i used a piano hinge and the other door i welded 4 heavy duty steel door hinges.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:58 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I used a cheap wood door and within months the bottom of the door went to crap.
Was the bottom of the door protected by a threshold? Why did the bottom go to crap?

Quote:
I then rebuilt it using 1x3 tubing to make a new door frame/jamb and built my new door inside that frame. Secured by screwing the new door frame directly to the bus steel.
By 1x3 tubing you mean metal?

I don't have welding experience, so unlikely to try this approach unless I absolutely have to.

Thank you for the reply!
jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 06:03 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas Built Buses
Chassis: Ford E-450 cutaway
Engine: 6.0 Power Stroke diesel
Rated Cap: GVWR 14,050
You can absolutely rivet if you think through the structural part. The bus is riveted....

If you hang an angle off the front tread (which is probably just sheet metal), think about how to support the outside edge angle from bending, with short angle supports under the lip, riveted to the door frame in a similar place as the welding screenshot.

Residential doors are not generally subject to direct rain and 60 MPH driving
(pun intended) winds - and the poster did say 'cheap'. No surprises there. But you can get a pre-hung fiberglass door from any big box store starting at $400 ish. That won't rot.
AlphaHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: CAT 3126b with AT545
My wife and I sandwiched the two swinging doors together and used 14g sheet metal and 3/16” stainless steel rivets on the front and back of door in between the windows. Be sure to rivet on a very flat surface because it’s easy to get a slight curve when working with steel and rivets. Once the two swinging doors are together, add a narrow piece of wood to the door handle side to close the gap and again by using 14g sheet metal fastened with rivets on swinging doors and wood screws on wood sides both front and back. Because the door is narrow you’ll need to use a slim line handle with lock. We bought one from Luston and it’s a good product but the support was next to nothing. We ended up having to reach out for support from the connectedshop.com because they sell a very similar product but have superior support….they helped and it wasn’t even their product. If I had a do-over I would buy from them. Here’s some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4822.jpg   IMG_4823.jpg  
Toddthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466NGD
I would weld. If using pop rivits that take a beating as in your case use backing washers. I would also use stainless rivits and backing washers. Aluminum and steel don't play well together..
Vapor Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, door assembly, entry, front door