Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 05:09 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I can't agree that pushing the limits like this increases security. If you view fuel stops as unfamiliar risks in unfamiliar territory, what's a better bet: Having the fuel available to pick and choose where/when you stop, or pulling into the only mad-max-themed stop-n-rob w/in a 200-mile radius .........

Not at all concerned about THAT kind of risk. I don't travel without ensuring that I'm sufficiently armed to handle any potential "issue". Generally I'm carrying a rifle caliber pistol with 21 rounds and two spare 20 round mags weak side. This is my every day carry. There are some states in which open carry is supposedly illegal and pre trip research tells us that, but you'd be surprised how many states I can carry either openly or concealed and be perfectly lawful.
Even in states like Kommiefornia you can pass through the state with weapons that aren't legal for residents by taking advantage of 18 USC 926A. While they won't be on your person, they can indeed be easily accessible with simple planning.

No, I'm talking about the increased risk of accident or damage when you get off that great big road and down into the confines of street level traffic and maneuvering through traffic, obstacles, and the idiot in a hurry at the fuel pump. The more often you come down off the interstate, the higher your risk exposure for the trip.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i was almost certified ASE in 1990 and i joined the marine corps instead.
i dont remember where this thread started?
except fuel tank capacity.
a load of suggestions have been made and some more educated than others (not trying to be rude)
but lets focus on the specific vehicle/fuel tank.
measure the tank and guess if its vented or not
fuel up and pull the sender unit and see where its at or run it until it says its empty and pull the sender and see where it is at.
check the voltage range of the dash guage while you have the sender out and replace the wiring if needed.
every mechanic has an opinion as where to start and that opinion is hard to express on line without pissing another one off.
yes atmospheric pressure, negative pressure, barometric pressure and temperature can effect all vehicles whether gas or diesel and fuel tank level when parked and how long it is parked also the quality of fuel pumped in it.
ethanol fuel
bio diesel
my opinion none of the new stuff needs to sit in a tank very long
as far i am concerned.
i could make several more comments but i try not to go down the rabbit hole of argue?
a good discussion about the original OP question is fine.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
My weener usually tells me long before my fuel gauge that it’s time to stop…
I’ve never had any issues at big name stops and I do try to fill up before night fully sets in.

It would be nicer to have larger than 35 gallon tanks just because I wouldn’t have to stand out in the cold as often to fill up
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i support larger tanks and when i have to i do cross country trips i only stop for gas/fuel and coffee.
my dogs are well versed from being stuck in the house while at work?
we all need a break while on the road.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
i support larger tanks and when i have to i do cross country trips i only stop for gas/fuel and coffee.
my dogs are well versed from being stuck in the house while at work?
we all need a break while on the road.

LOL I mean *MY* Weener.. not a dog lolol
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd just take a clean stick/rod and poke it down into the fuel tank when its saying its empty and see how much is indicated on my "gauge".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd just take a clean stick/rod and poke it down into the fuel tank when its saying its empty and see how much is indicated on my "gauge".
Yep, I second this. Easy and accurate!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
No, I'm talking about the increased risk of accident or damage when you get off that great big road and down into the confines of street level traffic and maneuvering through traffic, obstacles, and the idiot in a hurry at the fuel pump. The more often you come down off the interstate, the higher your risk exposure for the trip.

OK, gotcha.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:22 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
If dipping with a rod/stick indicates that the gauge is way off it's common in older vehicles for the electrical circuit in the in tank sending unit has a broken wire that the scrubber slides along. This requires removal and replacement of that resistance circuit which is often part of the next higher assy for the sending unit or the entire pump and sending unit assembly.
If the gauge in the dash is steady but inaccurate, the gauge itself and the wiring to it are likely intact and serviceable leaving the sending unit as the likely culprit.
If the gauge is erratic and jumps all over the place then it could be anything in the system.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60 gallons, blue bird 5.9 md3060, diesel, fuel