Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #241
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
Ohhh yes, I could not have said it better!

A couple of grand I guess? Maybe more?

~2500 out the door.

Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #242
Bus Nut

Our water system explained...

Old 09-15-2021, 11:38 AM   #243
Bus Nut

Installed our axle tiedown points last night. I think they'll do the trick.

Each point is rated at 4100 lbs with a 5:1 design factor. The rear points are anchored through the main rear cross member for the tail. The front points are anchored through the floor and through a section of 4" channel that is frame width. I'll be adding kickers from the channel down to the frame rails of the bus in the near future.

We're making the straps for it at work. Should have them friday.

Here's my ratchet strap ends.

It'll be overkill.. but I'd rather go overkill than not.

More to come soon.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #244
Bus Nut

Finishing up some of the wiring and little things in the kid's bunks. Fans and lighting. The fans are just some cheap 12v auto fans that are designed to hook to head rests. I removed the hooks and shot screws through the brackets.

Both fans have speed controls on them and will be wired back to a single external switch which is fused at the panel. Should work nice.

Should finish that all up this weekend and hopefully button up the main bed.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #245
Bus Nut

Got our tie downs for the Jeep made up at the shop today. Strapping the Jeep down tonight and taking the first loaded drive. We'll be videoing from multiple angles to see if we can spot any potential issues or things that need tweaking.

These should do the trick though. 2" web with 3" forged fittings (didn't care for the flat plate hooks typically used on 2") and 2" axle straps with protective sleeves and 3" end fittings. The webbing is the weak link in these and it has an MBS of 10k in a single pull. We'll have 4 on the Jeep at all times not including the body straps to limit body roll and such on the Jeep while in motion.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #246
Bus Crazy

Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Finishing up some of the wiring and little things in the kid's bunks. Fans and lighting. The fans are just some cheap 12v auto fans that are designed to hook to head rests. I removed the hooks and shot screws through the brackets.

Both fans have speed controls on them and will be wired back to a single external switch which is fused at the panel. Should work nice.

Should finish that all up this weekend and hopefully button up the main bed.

Looks a little cramped for working space. Got the kids helping out?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #247
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Got our tie downs for the Jeep made up at the shop today. Strapping the Jeep down tonight and taking the first loaded drive. We'll be videoing from multiple angles to see if we can spot any potential issues or things that need tweaking.

These should do the trick though. 2" web with 3" forged fittings (didn't care for the flat plate hooks typically used on 2") and 2" axle straps with protective sleeves and 3" end fittings. The webbing is the weak link in these and it has an MBS of 10k in a single pull. We'll have 4 on the Jeep at all times not including the body straps to limit body roll and such on the Jeep while in motion.

Looks strong... and expensive. Curious - why straps instead of chain?
Old 09-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #248
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Installed our axle tiedown points last night. I think they'll do the trick.

Each point is rated at 4100 lbs with a 5:1 design factor. The rear points are anchored through the main rear cross member for the tail. The front points are anchored through the floor and through a section of 4" channel that is frame width. I'll be adding kickers from the channel down to the frame rails of the bus in the near future.

We're making the straps for it at work. Should have them friday.

Here's my ratchet strap ends.

It'll be overkill.. but I'd rather go overkill than not.

More to come soon.

Going to have a winch, to assist loading in case the jeep breaks down?
Old 09-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #249
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Looks strong... and expensive. Curious - why straps instead of chain?

Not that bad when you work for the manufacturer... my price = cost which isn't bad at all. With that said though, chains aren't used in most auto transports anymore due to the risk of frame/suspension damage (especially with unibody cars like my Jeep) to the car in transport. Chain has no give and can be WAY over tightened easily. Straps are forgiving as they can stretch/relax without fail so hard dips in the road, hard braking, or in an accident.. they will absorb shock instead of transferring it to the vehicle being transported. DOT transport regulation says 2 straps for anything under 10k.. we went with 4 straps because I like overkill. Lol

As for the bunks... I can lay down in them very comfortably. They just look small in the pics. So lay down... get comfy... start working.. nearly fall asleep... then crawl back out.

And the Jeep already has a winch so as long as the battery stays up, it'll pull it back up there. I am planning on a large front mount winch for the bus (18k + a doubling block)... may do something for the rear eventually too.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #250
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Not that bad when you work for the manufacturer... my price = cost which isn't bad at all. With that said though, chains aren't used in most auto transports anymore due to the risk of frame/suspension damage (especially with unibody cars like my Jeep) to the car in transport. Chain has no give and can be WAY over tightened easily. Straps are forgiving as they can stretch/relax without fail so hard dips in the road, hard braking, or in an accident.. they will absorb shock instead of transferring it to the vehicle being transported. DOT transport regulation says 2 straps for anything under 10k.. we went with 4 straps because I like overkill. Lol

As for the bunks... I can lay down in them very comfortably. They just look small in the pics. So lay down... get comfy... start working.. nearly fall asleep... then crawl back out.

And the Jeep already has a winch so as long as the battery stays up, it'll pull it back up there. I am planning on a large front mount winch for the bus (18k + a doubling block)... may do something for the rear eventually too.

thanks for the strap info. Good to know. I have been considering whether to buy new straps or chains for my tandem axle trailer. I want to be able to tote a small tractor or a vehicle. Chains were winning till now. Got to re-think the plan. Sounds like the straps would be more versatile.

As far as the Jeep winch I did not think of that.

Are you going to put a roller for the winch line at the top of the ramps so that it doesn't rub there and helps re-direct the force? Since the ramp angle is so great, once the line becomes a straight line, will the front wheels be at the top of the ramp - starting to roll onto the bed or will the winch be trying to pull the Jeep front down trying to compress the front springs and push the front end thru the ramp/bed.

I've never tried to winch thru that sharp of an angle and I am having a hard time visualizing the changing forces due to the changing geometry There is a short time between when the line becomes straight and the wheels start onto the bed that bothers me.

I once did some front suspension damage and pulled the frame cross member loose on a car and I think that is what caused it. My ramp angle was much shallower than yours (dropped axles on the trailer). I had a HF 12000LB winch mounted at the front of the trailer. I have since re-mounted the winch higher in the air, changing the line angle more inline with the ramp, hoping to solve the problem. It has worked better but I haven't run into a worse case scenario yet.

I don't see my solution working when the winch is on the vehicle rather than the tow vehicle. Course your Jeep is probably much sturdier and the geometry much different than the car that I damaged.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #251
Bus Nut

For a tractor.. I'd use binders/chains. Not a must... but they are typically more solid built than today's cars.. a lot less likely to cause them damage.

It would definitely take some word to get it up there using the Jeep winch. A chain through the 2 anchor points... winch it up part way.. stop and re-rig to get it the rest of the way up so the winch line doesn't go over such a steep angle.

Anyways, got our Autometer Ultra-Lite II gauges installed...

Old 09-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #252
Bus Crazy

Quote:
For a tractor.. I'd use binders/chains. Not a must... but they are typically more solid built than today's cars.. a lot less likely to cause them damage.

It would definitely take some word to get it up there using the Jeep winch. A chain through the 2 anchor points... winch it up part way.. stop and re-rig to get it the rest of the way up so the winch line doesn't go over such a steep angle.

Anyways, got our Autometer Ultra-Lite II gauges installed...

Watched the video. How much quicker would it have been if you did not video or had someone else videoing? Looks good.

Seems to me that you would benefit from making a light weight tool/parts holder tray with a rectangular loop to hang over the front tire with the shelf hanging on the inside of the tire, out of the way when you lean over the tire. Maybe find a place under the hood to store it when not in use. The tray and loop/holder could be connected by a hinge to reduce storage space.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #253
Bus Nut

Quote:
Watched the video. How much quicker would it have been if you did not video or had someone else videoing? Looks good.

Seems to me that you would benefit from making a light weight tool/parts holder tray with a rectangular loop to hang over the front tire with the shelf hanging on the inside of the tire, out of the way when you lean over the tire. Maybe find a place under the hood to store it when not in use. The tray and loop/holder could be connected by a hinge to reduce storage space.

Not much different time wise really... just feels weird talking to myself. Lol. Now if I'm doing multiple angles and such... then it does take a bit longer but I enjoy it.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #254
Bus Nut

Well.... our test drive went great! The bus handled the weight really well. Power wise, could definitely tell that it had more weight on it but still drove and stopped really well. The only real sway we got was coming in and out of our driveway which has a pretty steep dip at the asphalt transition. No pictures of that... but a pretty good video that I'll post Friday.

With a good test drive in... I got our ramp mounts made up and installed. Happy with how they turned out overall. May move them forward of the rear tires down the road to allow room for tool boxes under the tail... but for now, they work well enough.

More to come soon!
Old 09-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #255
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well.... our test drive went great! The bus handled the weight really well. Power wise, could definitely tell that it had more weight on it but still drove and stopped really well. The only real sway we got was coming in and out of our driveway which has a pretty steep dip at the asphalt transition. No pictures of that... but a pretty good video that I'll post Friday.

With a good test drive in... I got our ramp mounts made up and installed. Happy with how they turned out overall. May move them forward of the rear tires down the road to allow room for tool boxes under the tail... but for now, they work well enough.

More to come soon!

those are some good looking ramps
Old 09-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #256
Bus Nut

Quote:
those are some good looking ramps

I really like 'em so far. 10k per axle rated and fairly light. Came from BestAluminumRamps.com Ordered and had them in 2 days.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #257
Bus Nut

First drive with the Jeep on the back!

Old 09-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #258
Bus Nut

Here is the ramp mount build...
Old 07-15-2022, 11:47 AM   #259
Bus Nut

Wow its been a bit.

Just got our mini split installed and running. Love it so far. Hoping to take our first real trip here soon.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #260
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Good video, great score on the minisplit. I just looked at them myself and that is a heck of a deal.

Bummer on the vacuum pump, hopefully you got some years out of it by the way it looks. I usually suck down for a half hour minimum, and I was always told the longer the better, as it results in less water and incondensables. Some refrigerants are more tolerant of those then others. Not sure what refrigerant that unit uses.

Some HVAC guys use micron gauges to measure the vacuum pulled, as inhg isn't accurate enough for them.