Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Thanks Bon, I have finally found a shop that is making me a sample. I'm having them made 20" which will be the height of my raise; on the inside of the C I intend to place 1'X1"X 1/8" square tubing which will extend past the splice top and bottom.

Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Thanks Bon, I have finally found a shop that is making me a sample. I'm having them made 20" which will be the height of my raise; on the inside of the C I intend to place 1'X1"X 1/8" square tubing which will extend past the splice top and bottom.
I am pleased you found a shop to make your hat channel. Do you mind sharing the cost?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
I don't know the cost yet. When I do I will share.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
I don't know the cost yet. When I do I will share.
Excellent! I know others looking into the process will benefit from your experience.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
You may want to consider putting in “c” channel inside instead of hat channel (it’ll be easier for a shop to do and more could make it; have the back of the c facing out and flush with the bus hat channel. Then you can just rivet your sheet metal into the c. Had I seen that idea before my raise I probably would’ve done it that way.
I was thinking about something like this since I plan on using 4X10 sheets of metal to skin the sides. Your explanation has helped me decide on doing it this way. Thanks, I think it'll be quite easy this way. This will also lend to staggering the height of the cuts in the hat channel more easily than using a shorter piece of hat, or having to weld angle onto the insert to match the hat hole lines.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I was thinking about something like this since I plan on using 4X10 sheets of metal to skin the sides. Your explanation has helped me decide on doing it this way. Thanks, I think it'll be quite easy this way. This will also lend to staggering the height of the cuts in the hat channel more easily than using a shorter piece of hat, or having to weld angle onto the insert to match the hat hole lines.
a full c channel insert is SOLID.

If you turn the c channel the other way than I did you can just rivet right to it without needing the extra flanges.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Navistar International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 65
PNW_Steve, I know this is an old thread. I'm in WW also...hopefully doing my roof raise in a few months. What shop did you have fab them? I really don't want to pay $24/piece...
laegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:27 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by laegion View Post
PNW_Steve, I know this is an old thread. I'm in WW also...hopefully doing my roof raise in a few months. What shop did you have fab them? I really don't want to pay $24/piece...
If I were doing a raise I would definitely just use square tube with shims as necessary and spot-welded flanges. The price at a steel scrap warehouse should be like 1/10 of what those custom fabricated extensions cost.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I did exactly that but only because I didn't want to wait on hat channels. I then drilled the angle flanges to match the rivet hole pattern already there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4871.jpg  
Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Their hat channel sucks and they may take months to get it to you with no communication.

Local is always best.
Hi there! As the owner of skoolie.com I can only assume you have us confused with another fabricator that has become know for taking forever to send parts with little to no communication. That is definitely not our company you are describing. We ALWAYS have hundreds of hat channels in stock for several different bus types and send email confirmation and tracking with our orders (which ship out every week).
Can I ask why you think they suck?
Luke Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:40 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Davis View Post
Hi there! As the owner of skoolie.com I can only assume you have us confused with another fabricator that has become know for taking forever to send parts with little to no communication. That is definitely not our company you are describing. We ALWAYS have hundreds of hat channels in stock for several different bus types and send email confirmation and tracking with our orders (which ship out every week).
Can I ask why you think they suck?
Folks on here bought some, it took a long time for them to get, and wasn't really an ideal fit.

Quote:
So I ordered some hat channel from skoolie.com. Channel itself is perfect but it came with their "inserts" already tacked into place. I did ask for the inserts but figured I wouldn't use them and figured they would come loose.

The problem is that the inserts prevent me from using square tube flush against the back to provide structure support. To do this I'd have to cut out and grind down the welds on every single one of my hat channels...

Now, skoolie.com says they do all their raises like this -- no additional support with "c" channel or square tube. Just the insert at the gaps. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Seems like it wouldn't provide nearly enough structural support.
http://https://www.skoolie.net/forum...nel-30119.html
Old 06-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #32
Bus Geek

https://ibb.co/bssW6CJ
Old 06-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A couple of your links here have an extra "http://" at the start.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:56 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
A couple of your links here have an extra "http://" at the start.
Sorry- just getting my cup of coffee.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
The 26.75" square "Hatch to AC" patch, offered by skoolie.com would not have worked for our factory ehatch. Our hole was 3/4" off center to one side. (Not unique) The rib spacing is 27" on center.

ECCB provided us some 16g patches to seal up our roof. Both ehatches, passive vent, strobe, & eight flashers. He wouldn't take our money, either.

Using a 28" x 30" patch (with 14-3/16 sq hole) allowed me to cover the old ehatch mounting holes and place my rivets in the center of the hat channel. Also, having sixty-four tiny 5/64" pilot holes, (not twenty-eight 3/16" holes) allowed me to index & center-align the roof holes when drilling. Stepped up to 3/16" (#11) for the SS rivets. The rivets that ECCB helped me to size correctly and find a reliable, cheap supplier.

Luke,
Not trying to start trouble, thanks for hearing me out. If you want to improve the skoolie.com products, maybe ECCB could help with the design.

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
The 26.75" square "Hatch to AC" patch, offered by skoolie.com would not have worked for our factory ehatch. Our hole was 3/4" off center to one side. (Not unique) Our the rib spacing is 27" on center.

ECCB provided us some patches to seal up our roof. Both ehatches, passive vent, strobe, & flashers. He wouldn't take our money, either.

Using a 28" x 30" patch (with 14-3/16 sq hole) allowed me to cover the old ehatch mounting holes and place my rivets in the center of the hat channel. Also, having sixty-four tiny 5/64" pilot holes, (not twenty-eight 3/16" holes) allowed me to index & center-align the roof holes when drilling. Stepped up to 3/16" (#11) for the SS rivets. The rivets that ECCB helped me to size correctly and find a reliable, cheap supplier.

Luke,
Not trying to start trouble, thanks for hearing me out. If you want to improve the skoolie.com products, maybe ECCB could help with the design.

I think the strength of adding a full-length custom c-insert then the "hat" is the way to go- but that's more $ for shipping and materials.
I don't like the smaller inserts tacked onto the ends of the hat.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #37

Hat Channel supplier

I know this is an Old Post but I hope I can help anyone else who needs metal parts for their skoolie. I have the sheet metal in stock and the machinery to make hat channels.
Philip James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip James View Post
I know this is an Old Post but I hope I can help anyone else who needs metal parts for their skoolie. I have the sheet metal in stock and the machinery to make hat channels.
Shipping pretty much kills hat channel kit shipping. Where are you located?
I have hat and C channel for sale in the classifieds.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
In another post he stated Niagra Falls, NY.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
In another post he stated Niagra Falls, NY.
If he wanted to participate in the community he would go to the UserCP and fill out his profile, instead of just coming to hawk his goods. Most sites make you pay to offer commercial services in posts.