Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I mean- if you're willing to spend time on a 7 thousand dollar purchase to undo the previous owners work why not just get a real nice bus for $1500-$3500?
It just sounds like you're paying Pappy Van Winkle prices for Lord Calvert's Extra.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhouse View Post
No, it's a drag queen in pig poop.
It looks bad but I can see through it.

No pics yet

So, I read not-so-positive things about galvanized sheetmetal... ie what patched over the windows. Can this be dealt with if it ever goes for paint or is it a curse?

All that work was just pop riveted, I'm not scared of drilling out his rivets.
You can paint galvanized. Use a self-etching primer first.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Spicer 5 speed is a major improvement over an at545.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Spicer 5 speed is a major improvement over an at545.
Ah yes when I looked up the at545 I saw why the concern. Sounded like a POS.

I'm not afraid of undoing
Everything he has done looks easy enough to change if necessary. It would only be a few things anyway.

I like that all the parts while scrounged and unassembled are accounted for already. I feel like I can put together the parts to my liking and looking like something in a couple of weeks. I'm good at this stuff. In the meantime, it's livable if need be. As soon as he gets his junk out anyway.
Birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
Almost There

Whelp.
I went over to take photos today and got a much closer look at the pig in the box.

Ew.
The weird non webbed deep valley is standing full of oil, probably at least a quart, a bunch of weird hardware marinading in it, completely inaccessible parts chilling out in there... lmfao. What were they thinking?

What am I thinking?

Ughf. I wish this thing wasn't such a pig.

Fact is though, it seems to run great, very smooth idle with no extra pops or farts, made it here from Texas with zero issues, and the antifreeze is nice and full and bright, clean green.

For better or worse, it is a factory Remanufactured unit. No idea when. But there's a fancy sticker on the valve cover that was slicked over with slime. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's definitely not a 50k mile bus, the clock has turned a time or two. But the engine is the only thing worth worrying about anyway. He says the thing handles perfectly true down the road. Leaf springs for the win.

Get in there with some foamy engine cleaner and a wrench will solve a lot.

I've read deeper, apparently some folks actually like these pigs? Lol I saw some dude Intentionally swapping one into an F350....

My dumb head is gonna go through with this I'm sure. Unless someone has a real good bus for cheap with a Cummins that's halfway near Michigan?

Ah it's not so bad.
Perhaps by the time it blows up I can get a good line on a cheap Cummins.
Birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dude I really am not trying to be a know it all or sound harsh but that bus hasn't ever gone 120 miles per hour. Just no way no how sorry man. WHoever told that one should not be trusted.
An early 80s bus, converted or not, doesn't go for the 7 grand on a really good day. Typically they sell at scrap or maybe a few hundo over if they have good tires.

I would say that the top speed in neutral would be limited to 125-200mph in free fall, rolling would depend on how steep and how long the hill is and what speed you were doing when you topped it, but 120 is probably more than the tires are rated for and more than any sane man would attempt on purpose but is probably doable for a few minutes. But stopping might be problematic.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It wasn't a backyard built propane tank. It is complete with a manufacturer sticker, just built to his specs to fit just right.

Probably just custom mounts.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Whelp.
I went over to take photos today and got a much closer look at the pig in the box.

Ew.
The weird non webbed deep valley is standing full of oil, probably at least a quart, a bunch of weird hardware marinading in it, completely inaccessible parts chilling out in there... lmfao. What were they thinking?

What am I thinking?

Ughf. I wish this thing wasn't such a pig.

Fact is though, it seems to run great, very smooth idle with no extra pops or farts, made it here from Texas with zero issues, and the antifreeze is nice and full and bright, clean green.

For better or worse, it is a factory Remanufactured unit. No idea when. But there's a fancy sticker on the valve cover that was slicked over with slime. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's definitely not a 50k mile bus, the clock has turned a time or two. But the engine is the only thing worth worrying about anyway. He says the thing handles perfectly true down the road. Leaf springs for the win.

Get in there with some foamy engine cleaner and a wrench will solve a lot.

I've read deeper, apparently some folks actually like these pigs? Lol I saw some dude Intentionally swapping one into an F350....

My dumb head is gonna go through with this I'm sure. Unless someone has a real good bus for cheap with a Cummins that's halfway near Michigan?

Ah it's not so bad.
Perhaps by the time it blows up I can get a good line on a cheap Cummins.

My thoughts... live in it while you are planning the raise/convercion or buying and converting another bus.

If you raise this one and live in it at the same time you might consider removing out side panels to do a lot of or most of the work

If you live in the country or have the space this post may help you out to keep it water tight while working on it

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/wo...tml#post361645
Old 01-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the 8.2 isnt a bad engine... under powewred a it most likely yes.. with a 5 soeed and 2 speed rear end, i dare say power wont be an issue.. a valley full of oil yeah that bothers me..

texas to michigan without an issue but somehow found a mountain big enough to hit 120 in neutral?? there aint any mountain big enough between here (im in ohio) and texas big enough to get close to that in a car let alone a bus.. let alone not blwoing up every single tire or having the driveshaft spinning at 12000 RPM and not fly apart...

point beimg exaggerartion.. and whats the no issue? the bus didnt break down.. great it drove the 1200 mile ride.. but who knows how many quarts of oil or how much fuel it used...

the fact a conversion is started can be a plus except that you want to riase the roof so essentially un-do said conversion and re-do.. for $7000?

so your job ends.. or if it does.. you still need a job even to live in a bus.. fuel, heat, electricity, insurance, tags, maintenance, repairs...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: MVP/ER
Engine: Cat3126B 230hp
Rated Cap: 48
Take this advise

Franklin: I also am new to the Skoolie world as I joined this forum about 6 weeks and still hunting for my first bus.this is a good problem to have because I would have made the mistake of buying the first or second bus I later eyes on. I asked questions and many of the same folks replying here also chimed in with responses and I absorbed all the input like a sponge. I learned a ton thus far but have a ton more to learn. We are lucky to have a forum where so many are engaged and willing to share their knowledge. They are not picking on you , just telling you the good and the bad.good luck with your Skoolie.
Mat7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
If you have any way to get out of the deal it sounds like you should going on all the advice, but if you can't and it's a sunk cost then get it and move on with it. Just be careful if it is a pig with lipstick you won't want to put hours and hours and $$$$ into it just to find out you're putting more lipstick on the same pig.

If it is a pig you could use it as your first learner bus and keep the upgrades to a minimum... Use it for a year or two then get something better when you're wiser and more experienced.

I learned the most from the first bus I bought because it wasn't so great; it's a learning curve to say the least.

Post some pictures!
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Wow -- guess all the "ol' timer's here" wanna fill in the gap from 01Marc, Whatever...

Granted my bus fell into my lap for a whole lot less money but...

Things to verify: Are the new tires high end Michelin's or no-name cheepies?
Good Michelins are ~$500/ea. Are they mounted/balanced already?
If they're loose in the back of the bus covered in dust check the date code on them they may look good but be close/past to aging out...

Dealing with rust -- HUGE TIME SUCK For me it's like grandma doing crossword puzzles -- progress is slow but totally captivating -- I get into a zen doing rust-rehab-confabulation. It's 'ptsd' therapy for me -- BUT I'm not in any hurry to complete my project -- mine's just for fun -- your situation sounds different so if YOU don't have to spend time on rust abatement -- that's money!

Your 5sp is probably a close ratio. Can't speak to o/d or not but the 2sp axles are awesome and together probably give you a less than 1:1 drive ratio. You'll have to find the model/serial number on the gearboxes and post up what you've got.

If the engine was rebuilt or replaced anytime recently (like the last 5 years) I can't image a seller not telling you that -- it's a selling point right? But you never know. The main thing IS, is how it actually runs.

Galvanized is good, don't readily rust. Requires an acid etch or look for special paints designed for galvanized metal -- limited colors though...

To answer your question about a roof raise -- the angry collective will probably be quite helpful to you -- they do know a metric sh!t ton given a chance to share -- help 'em out by posting some detailed pix of how the windows have been changed; metal added, and the rib layout.

Lastly, IF the deal is not finalized and you're not familiar with trucks, diesels, it's worth paying an independent mechanic to check it out just like you'd get a home inspector to check out a house before purchase. If somethings wrong you wanna know about it right away -- even if you're already committed to buying you may be able to re-haggle the price -- depends on the seller...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
40+year mechanic checking in when they were brand new fuel pinchers were not very good my son worked in a very large district garage The only reason they had pinchers in the fleet is because they got a large rebate from the MFG. for taking them they weren't good then they aren't good now and you can tell that from the relatively short production run they had. This is one time I think a manual trans is a detriment unless you are an experienced driver as an untimely shift could cost you an engine. I don't mean to crap in your nest but if budget means anything to you avoid the albatross if possible. Gene
Old 01-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Yea pricey it seems for what you get. However new tires(7) as mentioned if mounted and ready to go,that could be worth $3500, two new a/c units, that is $1000 plus right there. So that means the bus is $2500. Getting more in the range it would be expected to be.

Manual trans plus 2 speed rear, this is very valuable to me. I took my automatic out to put a 5 speed in.

Engine not the best, but the oil in the valley is of concern, as has been mentioned haveing a mechanic look at it might be a good idea.

Might want to just live with it for a bit before a roof raise. Why do a roof raise if it does turn out to be not your dream bus. Live in it, play with for a while then shop around for a really great bus and build that just the way you want it. Once the dream bus is built sell this one.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Yea pricey it seems for what you get. However new tires(7) as mentioned if mounted and ready to go,that could be worth $3500, two new a/c units, that is $1000 plus right there. So that means the bus is $2500. Getting more in the range it would be expected to be.

Manual trans plus 2 speed rear, this is very valuable to me. I took my automatic out to put a 5 speed in.

Engine not the best, but the oil in the valley is of concern, as has been mentioned haveing a mechanic look at it might be a good idea.

Might want to just live with it for a bit before a roof raise. Why do a roof raise if it does turn out to be not your dream bus. Live in it, play with for a while then shop around for a really great bus and build that just the way you want it. Once the dream bus is built sell this one.

How easy was that trans swap? difficulties? cost?

Did you do a"build" thread on it?
I, for one, would be interested in any details that you would like to share?
Old 01-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
SEVEN THOUSAND dollars??!?!?!?!

no thanks. please do yourself and fellow skoolies a favor by not enabling this guy that is clearly full of it and is trying to pass off a 40 yr old scrap bus as a project-ready skoolie.

you are paying easily 5x what this bus is actually worth. don't spend money for no reason, please.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
How easy was that trans swap? difficulties? cost?

Did you do a"build" thread on it?
I, for one, would be interested in any details that you would like to share?
My build thread is "The bus" not sure how make a link to it.

I bought a dump truck with the engine(345) and trans I wanted, it was an International and was a 1700 like the bus. Paid $900 for the truck. About a $1500 additional for a new clutch, driveshaft tubing, an HEI distributor, and little stuff like gaskets, bolts, paint, etc. The fuel injection I carried over from the previous engine.

So it was a relatively straight forward swap. The engine and trans I put in was a standard option for this bus. So other then making a new driveshaft, and making transmission mounts because it was an auto everything else bolted right up.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote