Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Honeysuckle Rose: the back story

Many years ago I had a build thread on this site. For some reason most of that thread was lost (as were other peoples) never to be seen again. I also had a parallel thread on Nomadistica but when Photobucket began charging to host pictures all my pictures were taken down leaving only words.

This morning while playing on Nomadistica I discovered that Photobucket has replaced 99% of my pictures and my entire build thread can be followed there. I have no idea why or for how long the pics have reappeared. There are something like 52 pages available so it is a long read. The thread also includes a tour of the old California Grapevine we took in HR's toad, Clarence.

Here is a link to my build thread: https://nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2658
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I do like the painting. Are you the artist?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Ol Trunt, very impressive, Only did the first 12 pages .. really like the hood mechanism.
Regarding lap and butt joint on the hood. How did it hold up in your CA climate. Just tried a " restore" on a lower door panel of my unimog 404 hard cap. first with a lap, looked good then decided to go butt..after reading the masters in metal working.. Well it turned out i am no artist.. Could not keep it completely flat. Clearly I am an amateur at best..For small non structural parts i like to solder with a 200 watt iron.

Anyhow, a little sad to see many Tango replies in your thread.. and his anticipation, in 2013, that he would not get his bus finished.
What happened to his project?

Anything new you are working on? Before i forget it ...happy birthday in two days from now.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Native, my wife is the artist in the family. She paints strictly in water colors now and pretty much turns out a picture each day.

joeblack5, I knew my posting would bring back memories of Tango. We became friends as we played with our buses and I miss him.

Tenish years and a lot of miles later all my butt and overlay splices are holding up. I hedged my bet by priming all my welds with weld through primer followed by the welds, then a coat of regular primer and then either a coat of Evercoat Z-grip body filler or Silkaflex 220+ seam sealer depending on the location and finally the usual primer and top coat. It makes me tired to even think about it--but worth it all.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its one of the most beautiful rigs of its kind ever, Jack. Thanks for sharing with us over the years!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
This morning I did page 10 to 20. You are a driven person. amazing.
i did a window AC also in our Bulan . Maybe you show it in the later pages but the outside air intake is still on the inside or did you later make additional ducting for that?

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote