Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2022, 09:53 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod4 View Post
Very much agree.

This forum serves as a great resource to help people gain knowledge and bounce ideas off of each other. Generally, most of the builds on this forum are higher quality compared to what I’ve seen on Facebook/IG/Reddit. I’m not trying to offend anyone but there are a lot of people building skoolies that shouldn’t be allowed within arms reach of a vehicle and power tools. Those people are likely the root cause for the fires the OP may have heard about. Not that a freak accident can’t happen, but there probably 5 haphazard builds for every 1 quality build.

Exactly. Just last week the GF and I watched a video of a "gorgeous build" where they knew they had to vent the propane tankless water heater......so they vented it into the kitchen area!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:03 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International/IC Bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Exactly. Just last week the GF and I watched a video of a "gorgeous build" where they knew they had to vent the propane tankless water heater......so they vented it into the kitchen area!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see your propane vent and raise you one rod through the oil pan that we’ll fix by adding more oil.

https://youtu.be/J1MdL7ICyAo
RamRod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:13 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm going all in with the guy who tried attaching his roof deck supports with double-sided VHB tape - to the sides of his bus, no less. I couldn't convince him of the inadvisability of this, but fortunately the supports came off in his hand before he tried putting the actual deck on them.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Dunning—Kruger is nearly ubiquitous and is certainly exacerbated by getting your "education" from YT and social media

without developing your faculty of discernment and seeking out authoritative sources.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International/IC Bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Dunning—Kruger is nearly ubiquitous and is certainly exacerbated by getting your "education" from YT and social media

without developing your faculty of discernment and seeking out authoritative sources.

I’d be lying if I said I knew what Dunning-Kruger referred to. Had to google that haha.

And now I’m going down that rabbit hole on google.

Thanks John lol
RamRod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
I see your propane vent and raise you one rod through the oil pan that we’ll fix by adding more oil.
https://youtu.be/J1MdL7ICyAo
OMG..... The mechanics at the shop should have asked the gal "are the edges of the hole bent out or in?" and then been able to tell them that "the hole through your "oil container" thingy is probably FATAL, don't pour $50 worth of oil in, just have it towed".
The difference between youth, experience, and judgement....
Youth - You make expensive and sometimes physically painful mistakes.
Experience - After making a number of expensive and painful mistakes, you learn to be much more careful.
Judgement - At some point after the youthful period, you learn to learn from other peoples mistakes and find that it's far less painful and a whole lot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm going all in with the guy who tried attaching his roof deck supports with double-sided VHB tape - to the sides of his bus, no less. I couldn't convince him of the inadvisability of this, but fortunately the supports came off in his hand before he tried putting the actual deck on them.
WOW......I mean I've used the 3m tape to mount things like window vent fairings but STRUCTURAL? Just WOW. I can see the lawsuit now "you didn't have a warning not to use it the way I did"

Quote:
I’d be lying if I said I knew what Dunning-Kruger referred to. Had to google that haha.
And now I’m going down that rabbit hole on google.
Thanks John lol
Thanks for the rabbit hole warning....I wiki'd it, read to where the concept was described, and escaped the deep, dark, black hole called rabbit.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Where the expression

"he knows just enough to be dangerous" comes from

And the more you learn about a topic, the more you realize how much you don't know.

As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.

— Albert Einstein
Old 04-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Also

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts"

— Bertrand Russell
Old 04-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

6'2 And it's close

For my particular bus I have a 1992 Thomas chassis dognose. In the front entry way its tall enough to stand up straight but mine is slanted slightly. In the center I touch if trying stand straight up but a little hunched. All other side room is mostly used for counters, bed, ect.

Specs: 2" foam ceiling(between ribs so no loss) and 1×3 recycled pallet to the rib sections.. Floor : 1" tyvec with 3/4" plywood and backed laminate to finish. Headroom is a hair overrated. Unless I'm cooking, I'm sitting or laying down, or outside the bus. Insulate more than you think you need.
HalfCab907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:15 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithNoBrows View Post
Does anyone know the maximum height a person can be to stand up in a Skoolie without a roof raise? I know roofs can be 6 foot or 6.5 foot, but I want to know a general rule of thumb on how much space I'll lose with a floor and shiplap ceiling.
If you remove the original metal ceiling you shouldn’t loose any clearance and if you insulated underneath or use a thin space blanket type insulation under a thin tile or floating type flooring you might loose an inch. And try to design your build with walk ways as centered as possible
dozr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Thin Mylar based Reflectix type sheeting is not insulation, has absolutely zero R value.

Can be used in building construction with an airgap of several inches to help reduce heat gain before the actual insulation, helps as a vapour barrier layer

but useless in a mobile context total waste if time and money