Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
I cut a lot of wires and my bus still starts (So Far)

So, I finally bought a bus. 2004 Thomas Safety Liner. MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel engine, Allison 3060 transmission, not yet unlocked for 6th gear and governed to 62 mph right now.

So far, seats are out, bus is pretty clean, backup camera installed, and ready to drive to GA to work on it for the next year or so.

HUGE thank you to Ronnie and Dee for immeasurable help and support. This whole thing literally couldn't have been possible without them...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0815.jpg   IMG_0813.jpg   IMG_0816.jpg   Bus 36 Day 1.jpg  

Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Sweet driving bus, it will make a great long distance cruiser. The local school district that the bus came from was really nice to us, and was quite honest too.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
So, I'm sure this is far from the most active build site, but it's taken a bit of time to relocate both my bus and me. We were reunited about a week ago, and during the non-rainy portion of that time, I managed to get the linoleum flooring up... the rust is negligible, so after some time with the wire wheel, it will be ready to paint. Skinning and design work are the next two big items on the list
Attached Thumbnails
floor out.jpg   IMG_0872.jpg  
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachvbguy View Post
So, I finally bought a bus. 2004 Thomas Safety Liner. MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel engine, Allison 3060 transmission, not yet unlocked for 6th gear and governed to 62 mph right now.
Sounds like a good find. The MB engine is not a bad unit, just hard to find parts for when needed. Rebuild kit is near impossible to get, if at all, so keep up on your maintenance and you should be fine.

A word on your final setup... Depending on your axle gear ratio, you'll probably want your governed speed set at somewhere between 65-72 once your top gear is unlocked. The MB 906's sweet spot appears to be around 1300 rpm, winding it past that is really pointless.

I have also found that with large, heavy vehicles like this, highway cruising is best around 63 mph. Good fuel economy and no worries about idiots hanging out in the danger zone (your bus will probably need a good 400-500 feet to stop at highway speed). And good, steady, constant throttle with minimal braking is key to fuel economy and brake / transmission life.

Be careful cutting wires though. The wrong one can leave you with a 12,000 lb paperweight.

Just my $0.02 -- your results may vary.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
So, I'm sure this is far from the most active build site, but it's taken a bit of time to relocate both my bus and me. We were reunited about a week ago, and during the non-rainy portion of that time, I managed to get the linoleum flooring up... the rust is negligible, so after some time with the wire wheel, it will be ready to paint. Skinning and design work are the next two big items on the list
that looks a lot like where I keep my buses!
Glad you got a bus, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
So, I'm sure this is far from the most active build site
But by far the one with the least amount of BS...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E/MT643
Rated Cap: 77 pax/30k GVWR
The key to un-safing my AmTran was jumping the solenoids by connecting the in and out wires on the same terminal.

The only risk is the console switches are all hot all the time so I have to be vigilant about turning them all off until I get the motivation to re-enable the master switch and its solenoid.

pics at the bottom here: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/747-28590.html