Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #1

I’ll do it on Saturday! 30ft IC FE

Hey everyone!
I got myself this 2008 IC FE 300 with a 2006 DT466 and Allison tranny. It has 160,000 miles on it and feels pretty good.

Stoked to get it on the road. My girlfriend, Salvador(our blue heeler pup) and I will be taking it on some road trips cross country and some mountain biking trips as well.

So far I’ve taken out the floor and found some superficial rust, no biggie just a lot of vinegar and angle grinder to it. And soon here the wall insulation and ceiling insulation.

This is where it all begins. Every bit of information is greatly appreciated. Can’t wait to meet this awesome community on the road.😄
Attached Thumbnails
DD1780F7-7069-4892-B6B5-3875C9FD7362.jpeg   9B345A28-8D97-49B1-B310-62784F3B5142.jpg   B022FBAB-FBBD-4F2F-A7EF-029988656E51.jpg   788B7AA0-CE9B-4DDE-B068-E29EA820932E.jpg   C2E15C06-D9D3-4133-B1FC-2CF046729E9A.jpeg  

plantain_on_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #2

Mechanically idk much about diesels but shifting is smooth, the engine is rated at 210hp so that’s that. The temp goes up to around 180-190 going on hilly areas, which from what I’ve heard it’s common in these engines plus I live in northern CA. If anybody can tell me something about this I’d appreciate it. Planning on flushing the coolant even though it looks in good condition but I don’t have records for any cooling system on the bus. Um...yeah I’ll keep posting.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Looks like a nice bus! Congratulations. I ended up replacing all the coolant hoses since mine were beginning to balloon. I also changed out some hydraulic lines due to fraying and leaks at the flares. Like anything else, make sure your engine is up to snuff. I doubt you'll have issues but there are some maintenance things they really do not do (School system) until it needs it.
Best of luck and keep posting your progress!
Old 01-12-2021, 12:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Looks like a nice bus! Congratulations. I ended up replacing all the coolant hoses since mine were beginning to balloon. I also changed out some hydraulic lines due to fraying and leaks at the flares. Like anything else, make sure your engine is up to snuff. I doubt you'll have issues but there are some maintenance things they really do not do (School system) until it needs it.
Best of luck and keep posting your progress!
Thanks will definitely check those out.����
Old 01-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #5

More on the way. If the rain let’s us.
We keep grinding away the rust and soon eliminate original heaters and start sealing the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
CAD7B2C7-5D7B-4043-84D8-206071E12C98.jpg   84F2EB37-FCD6-4D25-B41A-DB3112B5D474.jpg  
Old 01-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Looks like a great platform for conversion.
Rust is minimal, and should be a non issue when you finish it up.

Good luck on your project, going forward...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Nice bus! I like the door on the driver's side + the back door. If it had a wheelchair lift and door, I'd be really jealous!

If I may suggest, keep your floor heaters. They pump out way more heat than any electrical unit can, and will be loved when it is cold. Maybe move them to suit your layout, but don't just toss them in the ditch now, and regret it later.

And is that an A/C unit above the rear door? No rooftop condenser - it's in the front? NICE! Again, keep/update your factory motor-driven A/C, if I may suggest.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE300 11 window
Engine: DT466E
This is a gem. We picked one up that is very similar, just a touch longer. Where did you get it?

Whats the plan for storing the bikes? We have a family of 5 and I'm debating how to store the bikes
WilboVIBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE300 11 window
Engine: DT466E
Actually... I think I recognize this bus. Is it from NW bus sales?

https://youtu.be/KnujRHM3KMs

Edit: just noticing the video is from 2008, just the same bus.... So nevermind. Nice find.
WilboVIBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Nice bus! I like the door on the driver's side + the back door. If it had a wheelchair lift and door, I'd be really jealous!

If I may suggest, keep your floor heaters. They pump out way more heat than any electrical unit can, and will be loved when it is cold. Maybe move them to suit your layout, but don't just toss them in the ditch now, and regret it later.

And is that an A/C unit above the rear door? No rooftop condenser - it's in the front? NICE! Again, keep/update your factory motor-driven A/C, if I may suggest.
Nice, it has three a/c units. Well technically 2. Probably will remove one since it’s bulky. I can work with the shape of one and work it in the design of the bus. I haven’t opened it up to see if I can make it into a smaller foot print a/c.�� I’ll probably keep one of the heaters since I’ll put in a diesel heater plus it is not working. I’ll check that unit out soon. Although undercarriage space is very limited. I plan to have a not so “fancy” bus meaning not too many bells and whistles electronically. Well see. Thank you for the suggestions I really appreciate it and keep it in mind while building.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilboVIBC View Post
This is a gem. We picked one up that is very similar, just a touch longer. Where did you get it?

Whats the plan for storing the bikes? We have a family of 5 and I'm debating how to store the bikes
I’m planning to have an undesignated spot inside the bus that could be a full bed but for the moment I think it’ll be undesignated storage/project area. I like the thought of keeping my bike inside. It’s my second child but will probably build an upright rack on the back of the bus since I can do a bit of welding so I’d like to experiment with some designs. Also the bus has a hitch receiver so if it’s not in use by my dirt bike I’ll probably use my existing rack�� 5 bikes is a lot! I’ve personally have used the upright bike racks like the Yakima hangover but with only 4. They are a little steep but I believe they come for up to 6 bikes. I’ll probably replicate a similar design and weld it with a lower profile to the bus. I’ll keep you posted.��
Old 01-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Since my bus is about the same size, I'll say:

The rear heater mounted by the back door against the wall will heat the whole bus nicely and quickly, except for at my feet. It's relatively large. The one by my feet keeps me warm while driving. Those are the only two I have.

It takes both my A/C units to keep the bus nice when the temps and humidity go up. Neither of them are in "ideal" locations for an RV conversion, and indeed the layout of my bus is not as I would ideally like it therefore; but I'm not working too hard to made every detail and feature perfect, as I will likely be moving on to other vehicles in 10 years or so when different (cleaner) fuels are available, so I just worked around them. But you can always move your A/C units (in fact, I actually replaced all the rubber refrigerant lines last summer, and I could have moved them then, but that's just more work).

I think CadillacKid took an overhead unit and made an in-dash unit out of it.

edit: I have an in-dash heater, as well as the floor heaters, but it won't keep my feet warm.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantain_on_wheels View Post
I’m planning to have an undesignated spot inside the bus that could be a full bed but for the moment I think it’ll be undesignated storage/project area. I like the thought of keeping my bike inside. It’s my second child but will probably build an upright rack on the back of the bus since I can do a bit of welding so I’d like to experiment with some designs. Also the bus has a hitch receiver so if it’s not in use by my dirt bike I’ll probably use my existing rack�� 5 bikes is a lot! I’ve personally have used the upright bike racks like the Yakima hangover but with only 4. They are a little steep but I believe they come for up to 6 bikes. I’ll probably replicate a similar design and weld it with a lower profile to the bus. I’ll keep you posted.��
My bike is just cheap fast transpo that I can park in downtown where my bus won't park so well. I love riding it, but it ain't my second child.

I had a bike rack on the front of my van, but this BlueBird has little to mount to, since the front center is a weak, loosely hinged access door. Plus the bike gets all the road grime, especially in winter, and you gotta lube it more, etc.

I have a trailer hitch that I added, but a bike rack on that would block the rear door from opening, and I really like using my rear door. I finally decided to mount the rack on the rear door, and hang the bike vertically, with the front wheel removed. I can then turn the handlebar so it sits flat against the door also. This way I can open the door, and the bike can stay there. The wheel(s) (I may remove both when hanging it on the rack) can hang off the wall on the inside. For those not familiar, nice bikes now-a-days have quick-release wheels - no tools needed.

edit: my "undesiganted spot" is where I hang my hammock - the back 6-8 feet of the bus. I'm already finding it is becoming crowded...
Old 01-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

plantain_on_wheels, congrats on the purchase. looks like a solid foundation. welcome to the forum... i'm new here myself.
whereabouts in northern CA are ya'? bay area? humboldt bay? how many degrees latitude we talkin' here?

enjoy the forum and best of luck on the conversion!
potterfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466, international fe, new bus, pnw