Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64
Re: IN THE DOGHOUSE!!!

Ben, I have an '81 Thomas pusher with the 3208 CAT and Allison MT643, I'll see if I can get some dimensions tomorrow for the engine bay. I would assume they are all the same in those years, with whatever engine and trans they are fitted with.

dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Skoolie

I have been wondering about the measurements for the doghouse also. I've made several floor plans with what I could only estimate from photos. it will be nice to know the actual measurements of a Thomas RE doghouse. Also if anyone has the stock underbelly storage that goes through to the other side, I was wondering what the height of the compartments are at the opening and under the frame railings.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud4Brains
Hello guys. I'm still in the design stage of my conversion and there's a couple measurements I can't seem to get a straight answer on.

If you have a Thomas Rear Engine bus, I need the dimensions of the doghouse in the rear. The measurements I need are as follows:

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. It looks like they might be different sizes for different years or engines, so if you could also post the year of your bus and what engine it has, it would be fantastic. I'm hoping to get one with the 3208 Cat and the Allison MT643.

Thank you so much for your help!

Ben
I have a 93 Thomas in my fleet that I manage with a 3208 in the rear. Don't know if these measurements will help, but here goes:

A = 14 INCHES
B = 20 INCHES
C = 24 INCHES
D = 34 INCHES
E = 45 INCHES

And the rear deck is 90 inches wide
Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
I have been wondering about the measurements for the doghouse also. I've made several floor plans with what I could only estimate from photos. it will be nice to know the actual measurements of a Thomas RE doghouse. Also if anyone has the stock underbelly storage that goes through to the other side, I was wondering what the height of the compartments are at the opening and under the frame railings.

Chris

On a 93 model, the doors on the bay's are 21 1/2 Inches high at the opening and 13 1/2 inches at the frame rail.

Hope that helps you!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1995
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

On my '81 Thomas there is some insulation on the horizonal and vertical surfaces of A, B and C surfaces which may affect the measurements around an inch or so. A is 24-inches, B is 14-inches, C is 30-inches, D is 42-inches, and E is 44-inches. These measurements are taken inside the doghouse. The width of the doghouse is about 90 inches, although the door opening is a few inches narrower. I have the 3208 CAT with the Allison MT643 trans. I'm curious, what do you want the dimensions for? Are you looking to replace the 3208 engine with something longer? Or putting an engine (laydown Cummins?) mid-ship where one of the storage bays are? I did not take measurements from inside the bus, which would affect your inside floorplan I assume.
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24

Chris

On a 93 model, the doors on the bay's are 21 1/2 Inches high at the opening and 13 1/2 inches at the frame rail.

Hope that helps you!
yes it does thanks. I'm working various floor plans and knowing the measurements helps when it comes to planning holding tanks. I know it may vary from years but knowing a round about size helps. same when it comes to the doghouse.

thanks
Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

While we are on the subject of ER Thomas buses... Is there engine bay access from the inside? It doesn't appear that the doghouse opens or is removable to gain access.

It would also be important because I am building a bed frame over the doghouse. So if it is accessible than I need to make the bed frame lift up or something.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

If I owned a RE bus I think I would create accessibility from the inside whether it was designed that way or not. Where's my angle grinder?!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

A=13" to tile original tile floor
B=14"
C=29" to the rear wall, not the window.
D=31" to original tile floor