Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Its painted.... finally

I got the paint all done on my bus. I still have to remove a little bit of tape.... uuuuggg I should have used the green or blue tape to tape off the windows & lights. Any tips on how to get the white masking tape off? I have some wallpaper striper solution that I'm going to try to mix extra strong.

Anyway heres a few pics.

here is the link to the whole process, from start to fin... or I mean where it is now.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... album1907/

You can see theres still some tape on the lights & stuff. I think it turned out good though.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Nice job! That shade of blue is fantastic! Love the ridgeline waves, too.
I have found that a product called Goo Gone works well for removing tape residue and other stubborn sticky stuff. It's strong stuff that has a citrus scent.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Slick job! Very nice work!!
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Extremely nice paint job! You incorporated the white roof and the blue body most creatively. I like the white front-end, too.

Very sweet looking bus!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Skoolie

Try Goo Gone or some other adhesive remover. Shouldn't do any damage to the paint, but use care anyway.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Re: Its painted.... finally

The bus is looking awsome! I love that blue.....and the blue bird being painted is a really nice touch too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I still have to remove a little bit of tape.... uuuuggg I should have used the green or blue tape to tape off the windows & lights.

You can see theres still some tape on the lights & stuff. I think it turned out good though.
I tried using the blue tape on windows and things once, but i found that it doesn't hold the paper well enough. Especially when the painting process takes place over multiple days (or longer) the wind comes along and tends to rip the paper off.

Blue is obviously the only tape you want to put over fresh paint (green..i'm not sure what that's for, perhaps it's low adhesive like blue?)

There are different adhesion levels of white masking tape. Some is high tack, low tack, or anywhere in between. Some of the masking tapes have the adhesion level printed on the packaging.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Skoolie

Green is the most commonly used tape at body shops and I have used it a lot. It adheres to anything and removes nicely, even after being on for long periods of time. For large area masking/designing you can't beat vinyl graphic facing tape. It has a medium adhesive and you can draw on it and razor out your design. I used a 24" wide roll to do the flames on my race car with zero bleed through on the edges. Awesome stuff.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/A-RS-p-AP-RS-407524.html
Old 04-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I got all the tape off the other day using that "goo gone" stuff. The stuff worked good but still takes a bit of elbow grease & a rag to get it all off. It worked a lot better if you let it soak in for a few minutes first.

I also took the "eye brows" off & spray painted them black. It’s lookin pritty sharp now. Next time I take it out I'll take some more pictures, since it doesn’t look that impressive sitting next to the garage in the dirt.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Skoolie

Are the upper lights legal in your state? They aren't here (MN) or Wisconsin. They have to be removed and covered or painted black and dismantled.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

i have not seen it in writing, but i did ask a police officer here in Michigan about that issue. He said it is not illegal to have the lights on the bus, however it is illegal to use them while on the roadway. Nothing wrong with using them in the bar parking lot though!

I've crossed the border several times with my skoolie into canada and back and they've never said anything about my skool bus lights.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I've heard that there allowed to be on the bus but must be disconnected. Mine were disconnected when I bought my bus but hooking them back up took all of 10 seconds to reconnect a wire. I've only used them a few times (just messing around) allways when parked. Same thing with the strobe light I think.