Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #361
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I love the install, but I'm not a fan of the color.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #362
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
Picture does not do it justice. Different colors match the cherry color in the European Birch and the light color in the ceiling and seating. My wife loves it, and that is what matters. She supports my bus conversion habit.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #363
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I like it.
Your bus is really amazing. Beautiful work sir.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #364
Bus Nut

Thank you for the kind words. This bus is going to be used as our traveling demo and training lab for our transportation software business. So first impressions are key. We are planning to take it the middle of next month to the San Francisco Bay Area school bus roadeo. It will be her coming out party of sorts. Many school districts will be there. Many are already our clients but some are not. Hope to pick up some new clients as we give tours of the bus.

Still things to finish. The shades still need to go in. We have one more overhead cabinet in the back bedroom area. The big touchscreen GPS and satellite radio still needs to go in. Our fecal matter control center is waiting on delivery of the correct maserating pump. They sent the wrong one. The electronic computerized control center for the electrical system still needs to be installed. And the list seems to go on and on. Getting shorter by the day, but still a long list.

We can't wait to take her for a spin.

Danville, California
Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #365
Bus Nut

Re: Journey Begins - 1988 Crown Conversion

BACK BEDROOM TV INSTALLED

You have got to love Costco. TV's are so cheap. I got a 32" Vizeo LED 1080 HD flatscreen for around $200.

We have placed the TV in the corner of the rear bedroom. It is on an articulating arm so it can both come out and tilt towards the bed and also go flat against the side wall of the bus when not being used.

You can also see the two upper cabinets that we have put into the rear bedroom area. We just decided to install these recently. We need all the storage we can get.

In a later post I will talk about the shade selection we have made for the bus.

This is a view from the driver's side of the rear bedroom area to the passenger side corner.

View of the setup with the articulating arm extended.

We are also going to figure out a setup so the articulating arm and TV stay against the wall while the bus is in motion.

Danville, California
Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #366
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
We are also going to figure out a setup so the articulating arm and TV stay against the wall while the bus is in motion.
Velcro strips attached to the wall, one on each side that fold over and attach in the center of the screen?

Magnets?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #367
Bus Nut

I was thinking along those same lines. My preference is something that is hidden from view when it is holding the TV and arm in place. I will experiment and let you know what I come up with.

Danville, California
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #368

Year: tbd
Coachwork: tbd
To hold the TV back, I like mechanical connections, so my first thought was a door hook used on sail boats to hold cabin doors open (search "cabin door hook" on west marine.com or elsewhere). They always seemed to work great on boats. They're usually mounted with screws which might be a challenge on the tv unless it can connect to the mounting arm... but I bet they make some pretty tough 2-sided tape just in case.
Ryan_jorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #369
Bus Nut

I like that idea. The marine environment is even more bumpy than a bus going down the road. Those sailors have thought it through on how to keep everything in place in rough seas. I have a number of things on the bus that were designed for the marine environment. I will check out that source.

Danville, California
Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #370
Mini-Skoolie

You are doing such an amazing job. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with my Crown conversion, and I haven't even gotten started (except for removing the seats). I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew.

Wolfy
WolfyWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #371
Bus Nut

You will do just fine. Take it slow and careful in your planning and execution. I would be more than happy to personally share my ideas in terms of what order to tackle the dozens of projects that have made up this conversion. A specific order is important so you don't end up having to tear something out or redo a completed project. I could also let you know what I plan to do differently in the next Crown conversion. This has definitely been a learning experience and I would do some things in a different order and even radically change some of the projects. Send me a private message and we can connect. You picked the best school bus ever made for your conversion and your end product will be incredible.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #372
Bus Nut

SHADES FOR THE WINDOWS

We have found some relatively inexpensive RV shades for the bus. We did not remove the Crown passenger windows. We tinted them with special film to help reduce UV rays and heat intrusion, but we wanted to keep that bus look since we are going to be using it in our school bus software business. Also, it is nice to have a wide expanse of windows to see the outside scenery.

We needed to find shades that would allow us to see outside when the windows were open, but still serve as a screen to keep the bugs out. We found this model that has a two shades in one format. They will create custom sizes for a relatively cheap price. Most of the shades were sized to cover two passenger windows at a time.

The company is:

Blinds Chalet
Website: Day Night RV Pleated Shades - Motorhome, Camper, Recreational Vehicle

Model: Day & Night RV Pleated Shades

Description: Day & Night RV Pleated Shades are two shades in one. the day shade allows filtered light to pass through the shades into the RV while still providing privacy. The night shades block light allowing a restful night sleep. Both shades can also be raised for an unobstructed view through the windows. The day shade also can serve as a screen when properly mounted if you need the passenger windows open.

Below is a shot from their website of the style of shade. They have numerous color combinations. We selected a color that went nicely with our European Birch walls, window framing and cabinets.

Below is a shot of the RV shade installed in one of the windows in the rear bedroom area of the bus.

All the shades and window trim should be finished next week. More pictures to follow.

Danville, California
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #373
Mini-Skoolie

Those look great. Would love to see how u mount those in the bus. Thanks Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
SHADES FOR THE WINDOWS

We have found some relatively inexpensive RV shades for the bus. We did not remove the Crown passenger windows. We tinted them with special film to help reduce UV rays and heat intrusion, but we wanted to keep that bus look since we are going to be using it in our school bus software business. Also, it is nice to have a wide expanse of windows to see the outside scenery.

We needed to find shades that would allow us to see outside when the windows were open, but still serve as a screen to keep the bugs out. We found this model that has a two shades in one format. They will create custom sizes for a relatively cheap price. Most of the shades were sized to cover two passenger windows at a time.

The company is:

Blinds Chalet
Website: Day Night RV Pleated Shades - Motorhome, Camper, Recreational Vehicle

Model: Day & Night RV Pleated Shades

Description: Day & Night RV Pleated Shades are two shades in one. the day shade allows filtered light to pass through the shades into the RV while still providing privacy. The night shades block light allowing a restful night sleep. Both shades can also be raised for an unobstructed view through the windows. The day shade also can serve as a screen when properly mounted if you need the passenger windows open.

Below is a shot from their website of the style of shade. They have numerous color combinations. We selected a color that went nicely with our European Birch walls, window framing and cabinets.

Below is a shot of the RV shade installed in one of the windows in the rear bedroom area of the bus.

All the shades and window trim should be finished next week. More pictures to follow.
WolfyWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #374
Bus Nut

MORE WINDOW SHADES AND FINISHING TOUCHES

A great deal got done this week. Also, WolfWho had wanted to know how we installed the shades.

First, shade installation was very simple. They came with brackets that you could put up into the upper cabinet bases. It was very simple. Then, our European Birch wood was used to create framing around the shade areas and to cover some of the mechanisms and the original industrial style diamond pattern polished metal covering the window posts in the bus. Most of the shades are covering two sets of windows each. For now we are keeping the center window pillar metal covering in homage to its bus roots. We may decide to cover it up later.

The first picture below is showing a set of shades pulled up.

Next is a shot with the see through shade pulled down. This picture does not do it justice. When looking out the see through shade you can definitely see the outside world. When looking in, you can't see anything clearly.

Next is a picture with the non-see through shade pulled down.

This is a close up of the shade so you can see how it is behind a wood frame. This wood framing was put up so it encases the shade and keeps it very tight to the side of the window frames. That is because we wanted the see through shade to act like a window screen to keep bugs out. It is probably not totally fool proof. However, when closely inspecting it, we could find no gaps between the see through shade and the window frame which would allow bugs to get in. These shades are designed to allow you to see out while those on the outside cannot see inside the bus.

You can see the shade string mechanism hanging down from the wood frame in some of the pictures. That still needs to get cleaned up so it looks better. We wanted to make sure the shades were properly adjusted and tight before we finished it off.

Danville, California
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #375
Bus Nut

TV/FIREPLACE CABINET
We finished the adjustments on the TV cabinet lift. It works perfectly. The TV is on a swivel and moves forward as well turns up to 90 degrees.

Danville, California
Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #376
Bus Nut

ELECTRIC CHASE COVERING

The bus has numerous electrical and networking cables running throughout the bus. we had to cover it up. The overhead cabinets cover much of the cabling. We created aluminum chases and then covered them with padding and the same leather material as the headliner.

Example of the uncovered wiring area.

The electrical chase covering near the front of the bus over the navigator chair. Note the directional LED reading light over the chair.

Danville, California
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #377
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Excellent work! Much more professional than most of the "professional" work that's out there. Beautiful job guys.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #378
Bus Nut

DINETTE AND CUP HOLDERS

We cut holes in our dinette table for two cup holders. These are brushed stainless steel and come from the marine sector. They go with the brushed stainless steel accents we have in the bus.

Got them on-line at:

Boat Outfitters

Item #: 060-3092

Price: $13.48

These are constructed with 316 stainless steel, which is highly resistant to moisture, salt water, etc, when compared to 304 steel.

I got four of them. Two went into the TV/Fireplace solid surface top, and two just went into the dinette table. They fit standard size cans and bottles, as well as drink cups from restaurants and coffee/tea cups. They have drains down in the bottom (they are for the marine environment) that we plugged up with silicon and a cap.

Picture of the complete dinette table with the cup holders. These fit in a 3.5" hole.

Danville, California
Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #379
Bus Nut

LIGHTS AND AC/HEAT SWITCHES

Below you will see the picture of our electrical switch "center" for the coach. We have not labeled them as yet. However, our switch setup controls include:
  • Top Switch is the Master for all 12 volt lights in the bus
  • Switch that controls the front door outside porch light
  • Switch that controls all LED mushroom cap lights in headliner and under cabinets
  • Switch that controls all LED directional reading lights
  • Switch that controls the dual front 12 volt ventilation fans in the headliner

Below the switches is the AC/Heater control for the two 15,000 btu units on the roof.

We put some thought into the lighting arrangement. Assuming the master switches are turned on, we then have the back lit on/off dimmer switches that control various banks of lights:
  • LED headliner ceiling lights back to the bathroom area
  • LED lights in the bathroom area
  • LED headliner ceiling lights back in the bedroom at the rear of the bus
  • LED under cabinet lights on the driver's side of the bus
  • LED under cabinet lights on the passenger side of the bus

Assuming that the master switch for the LED directional reading lights is on, each LED reading light has its own on/off switch. There are six LED directional lights (the kind you find in airliners):
  • Each of the two sofas has one on each end of the sofa so two people could individually control their own reading ligbt.
  • One over the Navigator's chair
  • One over the toilet in the bathroom

The bedroom in the back has LED reading lights at the end of flexible goose necks, with one for each side of the bed. These work independently of the main electrical switch setup in the front. They are turned on/off just by twisting the light housing to the left or right.

All the LED mushroom cap style lights are dimming. When all lights in the coach are on fully, there is plenty of illumination. Of course, the dimming capabilities are great from a setting the mood perspective or when driving down the road for safety purposes.

Danville, California
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #380
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
O.k. Looks great. Really great!
One question: How do you get the wood trim to adhere to the bus such as the vertical pieces between the windows?
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote