Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Kazetsukai's MCI-12 Build

Hey there folks!

This here is a new thread to track the progress of my new build on a coach platform, an MCI-12.
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_rubber_passenger_25%.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	69767

My existing build thread on an International RE (skoolie) can be found here:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/k...ild-22680.html

I had really hoped to get the coach on-site before Christmas, but alas, there's always something isn't there? It has been a week since my last update... It currently sits at a shop in Athens, TN with some brand new rubber on it waiting for us to make the short 10 minute trip to the property- the trip I intend to make tomorrow!

Name:	waiting_for_pickup_25%.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	69768

Splitting this intro into several posts for organization, next post will cover history / how we got here.

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Warning- wall of text inbound!

I want to give people an idea of the history and rationale behind this. We're successful full-timers whom have gotten through the difficulties, I figured this might be of some use to someone. Skip this post if you're up to date or just want more meat (pics) with your potatoes!

How we got here
This... has been long coming. From even before we departed New Hampshire for Kentucky to start our full-time bus life I had recognized the shortcomings in our International. One of the many, many mistakes I have made on this journey was choosing a full sized bus with this drive train- specifically the Allison AT545. The warnings were there, the information was available, but I just hadn't been able to make sense of various engine/transmission combos. Searching in New England was already a problem- I found very few buses that weren't rust buckets, but I could have been more patient, meticulous, thorough.

Still, one thing this International isn't, is a dud. We've been living in it for 3 years now, and that experiment has been a success. It made the journey from NH to KY, and then from KY to TN- through NY, PA, MD, WV... and the various obstacles on the way. There were ups- like taking our first shower on the road at a rest stop- or being "at home" the whole way down south. Then there were downs- the heater loop failing for the trip, the fact we didn't have a working toilet when we left (switched from composter to a flusher just before the trip!), or that we didn't have a solution for laundry. It's solid and not going to fall apart any time soon.

One thing is certain- while living mostly stationary, our needs are met. Through iteration, the various systems that initially did not stand up to our demands now have some maturity. Other aspects of the build show the limits of what we can expect without major re-engineering efforts- like some freezing drains even after a 3rd refactor (related to where the plumbing needs to pass over the frame), like our poorly designed office layout, the bizarre positioning of our rear split. The utter waste of several feet of space up front from designing around the wheel wells. No couch. And mobility is poor- it definitely affects our capabilities negatively.

By the time our International had been fully framed out, I always knew there would be another. After we settled on a farm in KY (a generous skoolie.net user hosted us!), this just became crystal clear. I kept going back to the drawing board- coach? Tiny house trailer? Retrofit/rebuild an RV (Super C)? Or just do something totally from scratch on a bare chassis? I couldn't act, however- I had to solve our most pressing problem of independence and get us some land to park on. This continued for a year.

Even once we acquired land, we had to develop it, further delaying this. Still, it was a part of those land plans... I wanted room for at least 4 or 5 full sized rigs + full hookup on the property, and I designed the layout to that effect. Like anything else there were ups and downs.... the septic tank had collapsed, and there was no water or power service on the property. While we were able to get grid power to the parcel and replace the septic tank, city water would prove too costly to run immediately. So in the interim- I threw together a rainwater collection system from local sourced food-grade IBCs. It hasn't been perfect, but it fills our tanks. I'm shocked at how easy and effective it has been.

Choices
Which brings me to the coach. Like I mentioned, I continually went between solutions like Tiny Houses on wheels, RVs, and buses. I considered a engine / transmission swap in this rig. There were merits to a trailer like the separation of living quarters and drivetrain. What I wasn't going to do, was go back to living in a house. Even during that initial, immensely stressful trip down south to the unknown, I got a taste of something. Of freedom, of independence, of mobility. Of capabilities outside the norms. That was worth it to me to keep this up, and I needed to solve all our problems at once.

I ended up choosing a coach for a few reasons. One, I was familiar with buses generally, and the quirks of developing on them. Two, I recognized that school buses with their suspension and drive train choices really fell outside our use case. I wanted something meant to move people, could move frequently and long distances when cared for. Something that was comfortable and solid- not bouncy on rudimentary spring suspensions or flimsy and weak like an RV. I was fine with the drive train being stuck to the cabin as a downside. I also realized that a swap alone wouldn't fix our annoyances with the layout.

While on the farm in KY I went to an Indiana skoolie meetup organized by somewhereinusa. There I had a chance to get some inspiration, even from people just getting started. Let me tell you- I learned a lot there. Some of the most memorable conversions there were coaches, even old ones I had a hard time understanding how they were still on the road, running. I had a lead to a new world.

Wrap-up
I don't think I need to really go into how I ended up with this particular MCI, but I will say that if you're thinking of going the coach route- you have to be twice as meticulous in your selection. Unfortunately the supply of roadworthy pre-emissions buses is starting to dry up, they're getting harder to find. And nothing about this is cheap.

Now, onto the juicy bits!
Old 12-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Man, your other build thread was a treat...so I look forward to following this one! If you don't already, check out the great build videos from Yvan and Sylvie Lacroix...friends of ours and very detail-oriented coach converters. Their MCI is pretty fantastic.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

The Coach

Specifications

Name:	driver_side_front_25%.jpg
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	69769
Make/Model: MCI MC-12, see Models
Length: 40'

Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50 (Inline 4, Four-Stroke)
Transmission: Allison B500R (with retarder)
Tires: 8 total, front-to-back, 2x Tag (12R22.5), 4x Drive (12R22.5), 2x Drive (315/80R 22.5)

Name:	front_25%.jpg
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	69770

It was used as either a prison or an ICE bus, seems like the last operator was a Florida airport. It has a bunch of sanitary-type seats going back:

Name:	interior_25%.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	69772

As well as two individual passenger seats up front:

Name:	passenger_seat_25%.jpg
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	69773

Coach systems are different from skoolies, they tend to run 24V instead of 12V systems. The main 24V DC panel is right under the driver window:

Name:	main_24v_DC_panel_25%.jpg
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	69774

Notably just below that is where washer fluid goes:

Name:	washer_fluid_box_25%.jpg
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	69776

The body has these nice screw-type latches for these places, I really like them.

Underbody Bays
There are four through-bays between the wheelbase, two of them are reserved for the 24V chassis battery bank and the diesel tank.

Name:	bays_2_4_6_25%.png
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	69775

For the purposes of a build, this translates to three usable through-bays:

Name:	bays_2_4_6_02_25%.jpg
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	69777

I call these individually by halves, bays 1-8. Odd on the driver side, even on the passenger side, ascending front to back.

Bay 1 is the battery bay, contains two 8D batteries in series. There's a small flap to get to the master cutoff switch (prevents the batteries from dying due to parasitic loads).

Name:	bay_00_master_25%.jpg
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	69778

Opposite that, Bay 2 has a radiator (???, probably central A/C) and behind that is the diesel tank. The tank is 145 gallons .

Name:	bay_01_25%.jpg
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	69779

Just behind is Bay 3:

Name:	bay_02_01_25%.jpg
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	69780Click image for larger version

Name:	bay_02_03_25%.jpg
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	69781

Opposite Bay 4:

Name:	bay_03_01_25%.jpg
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	69782Click image for larger version

Name:	bay_03_03_25%.jpg
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	69783

Bay 5 contains the answer many of you are asking about Bay 4- what that battery goes to: An ONAN / Cummins Diesel Generator, 12kW.

Name:	bay_05_01_onan_25%.jpg
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	69784Click image for larger version

Name:	bay_05_02_onan_25%.jpg
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	69785

It has its own AC panel:

Name:	bay_05_03_acpanel.jpg
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	69786

And what looks like soundproofing of sorts.

Name:	bay_05_04_onan_soundproofing_25%.jpg
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	69787

Continued in next post....
Old 12-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Bays, continued

Going back there's Bay 7/8.

Name:	bay_06_01_25%.jpg
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	69788Click image for larger version

Name:	bay_07_01_25%.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	69789

Notably, and very nice I find is that throughout these bays, all infrastructure is hidden in duct. Its immaculate.

Name:	bay_07_03_duct_25%.jpg
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	69790

In Bay 2 there was also this overhead (with a key!). Not sure what it is yet, when it gets here I'll do some discovery, obviously.

Name:	bay_03_overhead_wiring_25%.jpg
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	69792

There was also forward access in Bay 2/3 for bays 1/2, I'm assuming to service the central air.

Name:	bay_03_forward_access_25%.jpg
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	69791

The ceiling in each of these is painted wood (underneath of diamond plate in the cabin?):

Name:	bay_07_04_ceiling_25%.jpg
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	69793

The floor in the bays, uncovered aluminum.

Going back up front, there's this "button" I'm not sure what it does, maybe wiser folks than me know.

Name:	button_01_25%.jpg
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	69794Click image for larger version

Name:	button_02_25%.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	69795

That's it for pics tonight I think. Tomorrow I will try to get some of how we arrange things on the property.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Man, your other build thread was a treat...so I look forward to following this one! If you don't already, check out the great build videos from Yvan and Sylvie Lacroix...friends of ours and very detail-oriented coach converters. Their MCI is pretty fantastic.
Thanks for the kind words. I will check them out!
Old 12-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

That "button" on the front unlocks the door. If the door closure arm is properly adjusted, when you slam the door the arm will swing into the locked position. That button allows you to open it from the outside. There should be a hole in the shaft for a padlock.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I think you will find that the entire floor is high quality plywood--it serves both as flooring and ceiling in the bays. My recollection from building out my MCI9 is that it is 1" thick.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Wonderful writer and great details, hope everything goes as planned and keep us informed. This is great information and direction for newbies.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:36 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Home-base prep

So this morning we began home base prep to move the skoolie and make room for the coach.

Name:	international_before_25%.jpg
ID:	69812

Rant: The need for a Home Base

Name:	overview_25%.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	69807
First, I'll say that shortly after going full time, we were "homeless". We sold our home, and went south to Kentucky, where a skoolie.net member generously hosted us for over a year. Without going into details, I did what I could to contribute / give back in that relationship, and I think it worked out quite well for both of us. That being said, and- not knocking them in the slightest... in many ways it sucked. Poor internet, when that's our lifeline and paycheck- non-ideal septic access for dumping our tanks, and it was quite far to groceries and shopping. Being in legal limbo for nearly 2 years was probably the worst.

Long and short of it- full time or not, I think people should really consider having some place to call "home base"- somewhere with all of the facilities you need to be able to park indefinitely. I cannot recommend this lifestyle otherwise. I believe "full time travel" should be organized into "expeditions", which can be broken down into the steps:
  1. Planning - where are you going, how long will you be there, etc
  2. Preparations - do what is necessary to make for a safe trip - keep your rig in top shape, have supplies, etc.
  3. Departure - leave home base.
  4. Travel - the fun stuff.
  5. Return - the fun is over.
  6. Retrospective - what went well, what went wrong, what do we fix for next time?
  7. Rest - take a breather before the next one.
Going from A-B-C-D-E-F indefinitely I think is a recipe for disaster. You need a cadence with rest, some level of predictability, and a backup plan in case travel becomes infeasible for a period of time.

If people are more interested in this, and would like to discuss what's needed in a home base, let me know, I have ideas on the matter.

Home Base Prep

We have two main pads, a standard full size and a double-sized pad, with room for guest parking inbetween. A 5th wheel occupied the full sized pad, the skoolie sits on the double-wide.

Name:	overview_02_25%.jpg
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	69808

I needed to move the skoolie from the inner spot to the outer spot. Before and after:

Name:	international_before_25%.jpg
ID:	69812Click image for larger version

Name:	international_after_25%.jpg
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	69813
Look simple? It wasn't. The batteries were dead, despite being on a battery tender. 8A is just not enough I guess. 30 minutes of struggling with jumper cables, a jumper pack, etc, I finally got it running. It moved, but was not performing well. I think I need to have the turbo looked at!

Where we moved it was temporary until the coach arrived, I needed to arrange them both for a longer term stay.

The Trip
While ten minutes away, there is one portion of the journey that had me concerned with ground clearances:

Name:	navigation_01_25%.jpg
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	69810

The question was whether the coach could make this hill with its wheelbase/clearance (coming from the top left, going down towards the bottom right):

Name:	navigation_02_25%.jpg
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	69809

My skoolie makes this pretty easily. I also had an alternative, more gentle route in case it didn't work out. So when I got there, I stepped out of the coach, looked it over, and made a judgement call. TLDR: We made it, it was much easier than I was thinking. Had this been a 45' coach I may have been in trouble, this one will clear going both ways no problem.

When I got the coach on site we reoriented both rigs a bit.

Name:	coach_after_25%.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	69818

They are almost parallel. And today, for the first time ever... when pulling into the driveway I looked at the skoolie and thought to myself- "that's not all that big, now is it?".

Name:	lined_up_25%.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	69811

Name:	front_compare_25%.jpg
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	69814Click image for larger version

Name:	front_compare_02_25%.jpg
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	69815

Tomorrow I will be doing some discovery, looking primarily for the fuse panel. I've seen lots of electrical in here, just no fuses yet! I may also start with some demo / seat removal. Probably take it slow for a few days.

Name:	coach_insp_25%.jpg
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	69817Click image for larger version

Name:	coach_side_25%.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	69816

Anyhow, its here! Finally, finally here. This has been long, long in the making. Can't wait to really get into this one.

Name:	behind_compare_02_25%.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	69820Click image for larger version

Name:	behind_compare_25%.jpg
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	69819
Old 12-29-2022, 05:52 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
That "button" on the front unlocks the door. If the door closure arm is properly adjusted, when you slam the door the arm will swing into the locked position. That button allows you to open it from the outside. There should be a hole in the shaft for a padlock.
I was wondering how I'd get myself out of that mess if the swing arm lock engaged! That's brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I think you will find that the entire floor is high quality plywood--it serves both as flooring and ceiling in the bays. My recollection from building out my MCI9 is that it is 1" thick.
Very cool rig! Yeah, its painted and looks to be in great condition. I may only have to remove the diamond plating then...

You don't have a thread for that rig, do you? I'd love to see how that went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
Wonderful writer and great details, hope everything goes as planned and keep us informed. This is great information and direction for newbies.
Thanks for the kind words, I will keep this feedback in mind as I go.

A couple questions on my mind:
  • How would one delete windows on a rig like this? I'm sort of not sure if the same approach I used with the skoolie can be used, and if it can- stainless like the bottom, or no?
  • Where does one get glass replacements for something like this? The lower/upper door glass needs to be changed, I think.
  • I have some leaks to address, and am thinking of painting the interior after rust remediation. Any recommendations for interior paint (direct to metal, primary goal being protection, these surfaces will be covered up by insulation and interior walls)? In the skoolie, I just went with Rustoleum.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:40 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Nice Basecamp.

Looks like a double layer roof
with drain holes along the length.
Possibly shielding solar or reduding snow. Maybe a section removed?
Have you explored the topside?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:59 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Looks like a double layer roof with drain holes along the length.
Possibly shielding solar or reduding snow.
Yeah, I think its a sun shield. I took drone pics earlier:

Name:	front_25%.jpg
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	69823Click image for larger version

Name:	panels_25%.jpg
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	69821

Quote:
Maybe a section removed?
Yeah, seems like it:

Name:	missing_panel_25%.jpg
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	69822

Quote:
Have you explored the topside?
A few noteworthy items. One is a qualcomm dome positioned up top near the front:

Name:	dome_25%.jpg
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	69824

The front AC is a "Duo-Therm", and the case is in disrepair.

Name:	aircon_25%.jpg
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	69825

The rear AC is a Dometic. Looks much newer, like a replacement.

Name:	aircon_2_25%.jpg
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	69826

My initial plans for on the roof:
  1. Remove the dome.
  2. Remove the rooftop AC units.
  3. Remove the second roof layer / sun shade.
  4. Mount half-height unistrut directly to the exposed channels shown for ventilation / drainage.
  5. Use the unistrut as a base to mount solar.
Let me know your thoughts there.

Where the missing panel is up top, I think I'm seeing leaks inside in the ceiling. I'm going to try to remove that portion of the ceiling in the next couple days to confirm, and test for leaks. I don't think I can get the AC's out yet because it seems like we're gearing up for some heavy rain, maybe even t-storms next week, and I don't have a plan to cover those holes.

Any recommended sealants for roof leaks, or general treatments for the roof? Bit of age showing up there. Wonder if I should get myself a nice-ish pressure washer.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:17 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

That roof looks like the double roof on the limited edition MC-5 "Saudi" buses...but I didn't know they did any after that series. That's very cool!
Old 12-30-2022, 12:08 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Ross is correct on both questions. The front "button" is to unlock the handle when it goes over center and locks the door. Factory standard on all GMC , MCI and Prevosts with the driver operated door opening handle inside. The door operating hardware is adjustable and must be properly adjusted or things don't work as planned, it should lock with a hearty slam by hand of the door from outside, if it worked you can't pull the door back open. Then you push in the front door unlock button and if it's also setup correctly it will push the handle inside back over center so the door can be pulled open.

The double roof was indeed used for the Saudi MC5C's contract for the insane heat conditions there. I think it worked so well MCI obviously had it available as an option from then on. They had the tooling and engineering for it, why not, after all the parts would fit any of their models.

I see you finally got it and working on getting it home. I still think it will fit no problem into your property. You should call me directly again and I can answer lots of your questions in no time.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Discovery - Aesthetics and care

Here's group one of my discovery results- looking for issues, quirks, things to correct.

Aesthetics and care

On the skoolie I probably would never bother with these things. On this, I think if I want to make it last, I need to address. These aren't quite annoyances, but rather aesthetic and or general care related.

The worst of the bunch- there's a single, random hole in the middle on the passenger side.

Name:	random_hole_01_25%.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	69846Click image for larger version

Name:	random_hole_02_25%.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	69845

Around other carriage bolts, some of the paint is bubbling from subsurface rust.

Name:	bubbling_paint_02_25%.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	69853

Trim screws are mixed- many are rusting. Replacing them with stainless screws is an easy fix. Additionally, you can see trim seals cracking, coming apart, etc.

Name:	rusted_trim_screws_01_25%.jpg
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	69844Click image for larger version

Name:	rusted_trim_screws_02_25%.jpg
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	69843

Name:	stainless_trim_screws_01_25%.jpg
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	69839Click image for larger version

Name:	trim_seal_25%.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	69836

There are decals from when the bus was in service that were sprayed over, as well as several stickers to remove.

Name:	decals_to_remove_25%.jpg
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	69848Click image for larger version

Name:	decals_to_remove_01_25%.jpg
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	69850Click image for larger version

Name:	decals_to_remove_02_25%.jpg
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	69849

In the rear where the radiator grill is, some rust can be seen and paint peeling.

Name:	paint_under_grille_rear_02_25%.jpg
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	69847

The bumpers have several uneven spots, possibly from bumps

Name:	bumper_01_25%.jpg
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	69852Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper_03_25%.jpg
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	69851

Some of the window tint near the driver is cracking. The Miami Dade sticker needs to get removed.

Name:	window_tint_cracking_25%.jpg
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	69834

The pantograph wiper hardware is rusting visibly, and causing a streak.

Name:	rusty_pantograph_01_25%.jpg
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	69841Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty_pantograph_02_25%.jpg
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	69840

As re some of the hardware holding on the mirrors.

Name:	rusting_bolts_25%.jpg
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	69842

The underbay storage seals need to be redone. Some places are worse than others.

Name:	stoage_seal_01_25%.jpg
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	69838Click image for larger version

Name:	stoage_seal_02_25%.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	69837

The lamp covers are washed out and the surrounding hardware has seen better days.

Name:	washed_out_lamp_covers_25%.jpg
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	69835

Next up, genuine annoyances.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:39 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Discovery - Annoyances

Here we have the stuff that just bugs you, and you wish would just go away. The kind of problems you tend to live with.

Annoyances

As I was walking around, I touched the antenna mount near the driver and it crumbled to the touch.

Name:	fractured_antenna_mount_01_25%.jpg
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	69854Click image for larger version

Name:	fractured_antenna_mount_02_25%.jpg
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	69855Click image for larger version

Name:	fractured_antenna_mount_03_25%.jpg
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	69856Click image for larger version

Name:	fractured_antenna_mount_04_25%.jpg
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	69857Click image for larger version

Name:	fractured_antenna_mount_05_25%.jpg
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	69858

The main battery switch is accessed via a small door. This door is missing most of its hardware, and flimsily just flaps around. Ugh, this one I want to fix more than anything...

Name:	battery_switch_flap_01_25%.jpg
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	69859Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_switch_flap_02_25%.jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	69860Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_switch_flap_03_25%.jpg
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	69861Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_switch_flap_04_25%.jpg
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	69862
Old 12-30-2022, 07:50 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Discovery - Functional

Now we get to the stuff that actually impacts you, driving or otherwise.

Functional Issues - What you can't see
  • Brake lights from the brake pedal do not work. The retarder does engage the brake lights however.
  • Turn signals / hazards failed me enroute to the tire shop. A fuse is blown somewhere I think, I need to investigate.
  • The main windshield has a severe glare problem.
Functional Issues - What you can see

The front door glass is in poor condition and the lower glass is useless. Can someone tell me if this crack pattern (I think this is in the window tint, not the window itself) can be fixed?

Name:	driver_door_glass_01_25%.jpg
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	69863Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_door_glass_02_25%.jpg
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	69864Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_door_glass_03_25%.jpg
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	69865Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_door_glass_04_25%.jpg
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	69866

The middle door bottom hinge is rusted to the point at which the door is very difficult to open, causing the body to bend and give with it, even after soaking it in penetrating oil. Also, as this was a prison bus there is no mechanism to open the door from the inside.

Name:	e-door_25%.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	69867Click image for larger version

Name:	e-door_hinge_02_25%.JPG
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	69868Click image for larger version

Name:	e-door_open_25%.jpg
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	69869Click image for larger version

Name:	e-door_open_02_25%.jpg
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	69870

The passenger side wheel hubs are leaking. The driver side as you can see, is not.

Name:	leaky_hubs_01_25%.jpg
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	69873Click image for larger version

Name:	leaky_hubs_02_25%.jpg
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	69874

Name:	not_leaky_hubs_02_25%.jpg
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	69875

The windshield seal has an opening in it and has seen better days. I wonder if this can be replaced easily. I will cover the hole with duct seal for now.

Name:	windshield_seal_01_25%.jpg
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	69876Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield_seal_02_25%.jpg
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	69877

Not a problem. but something I hope to reuse- the fresh water inlet is located in a fairly nice place. Any idea what this QD fitting is called?

Name:	fresh_inlet_01_25%.jpg
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	69871Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh_inlet_02_25%.jpg
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	69872
Old 12-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Interior demo, day 1: Seat removal

Here's an almost obligatory seat removal post. I had an hour or two to bang at this after my other items were done for the day, not really a serious demo day for me.

The sanitary seating came in two parts near the front on the driver side- a seat, with a grille at the bottom for securing... people. Four nuts for the seat, four self-tappers for the grille.

Name:	seat_and_grille_25%.jpg
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	69878

Aside from some stubborn nuts, it was pretty easy to get the driver side out.

Name:	driver_side_gone_25%.jpg
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	69879

There are bolts sticking up through the diamond plate floor, so I will have to remove the diamond plating. I am in for a stubbed toe or two over the next few days with those there.

Really not much to cover here in a little over an hour of work. I will snap some pics of the rail systems used in construction, these are aluminum and very sturdy.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
I see you finally got it and working on getting it home. I still think it will fit no problem into your property. You should call me directly again and I can answer lots of your questions in no time.
Thank you for your input during the acquisition phase of this. You really demystified some things for me.

I need to learn as much as I can about the electrical in this thing, ASAP. I am very surprised at just how _few_ similarities there are between my international's and this mci's electrical system, they are night and day different. I mean, everything is done very differently, but its really obvious in the wiring and distribution here.

I will definitely be reaching out again soon.