Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
That's a lot of structural integrity you'd be messing with.

Crisfole, I'm very interested to see what you turn this beauty into......I haven't seen a double-decker build on here.
I imagine there'd be a definite tendency for the walls to bulge outwards without the beams supporting the upper deck. So moveable mounts for those beams (like on an elevator) would have to support a horizontal load as well as a vertical one, and would be heavy and expensive, and you'd have to coordinate their movements. I'd almost put this into the same category as converting a school bus to electric.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wow this bus looks to be in really nice shape... in my opinion insulation is king.. if it means drilling holes to get good insulation id be all for it
Yeah, insulation isn't an option. My question was whether I should install wood to the walls and spray on the inter sheet metal out stuff or drill a million holes. I might go with both...
Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #43
Skoolie

Inspection passed!

As of today my bus ahem, Motorhome. Is fully insured, registered, paid for (taxes), and inspected.

The NY Heavy inspection was what I needed. Took 20 minutes and it passed with flying colors. Easiest part by far...

Now I'm down to finishing the demo before I can pick back up on the re-construction. Spray foam quote never came through. Just called and they said they had it there, resent it. Hoping it's reasonable.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisfole View Post
As of today my bus ahem, Motorhome. Is fully insured, registered, paid for (taxes), and inspected.

The NY Heavy inspection was what I needed. Took 20 minutes and it passed with flying colors. Easiest part by far...

Now I'm down to finishing the demo before I can pick back up on the re-construction. Spray foam quote never came through. Just called and they said they had it there, resent it. Hoping it's reasonable.
Congratulations on your new double-decker mobile home!

You probably already have this in mind ... mask off EVERYTHING you do not want foam adhered to before you have the foam sprayed. Like paint, it drifts.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
And cover any little hole that it could possibly spray through. I hired a guy for mine and he didn’t cover all the little holes - I ended up with the foam sprayed on my fence and on the side of my house. It leaves marks.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
And cover any little hole that it could possibly spray through. I hired a guy for mine and he didn’t cover all the little holes - I ended up with the foam sprayed on my fence and on the side of my house. It leaves marks.
The guy who sprayed my first bus got foam on my brand new Imron paint job

11 years later you could still see the spots.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #47
Skoolie

Paint will be the job after sealing, insulation, windows, and almost all exterior work is done...
Old 11-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #48
Skoolie

Ugh, snow. So much wet.

Bought a little tanktop 30kBTU heater, it helped, not it also melted the snow right into the windows, which promptly caused a medium grade rainstorm along the edge of the bus.

Calling around for body shops with 14' bays. Hoping one of them can figure out the gaskets.

Also need to insulate, _badly_. There's a company 45m away that has an indoor bay and some bus spray foam experience. Planning on a layer inside the double wall. They claimed they could spray under the floor if I could get the underside of the floor 2' up. I have my doubts. It's too cold to do this outside, so I'll definitely be dropping it off for the work.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #49
Skoolie

Update: Upstairs route numbers are out, the cabinet it's sitting in appears to be supporting the upstairs windshield. Video forthcoming.

We'd really have the cabinet out entirely - but I'm suspecting I'll just cut out the pieces of it that I _can_ and leave the strutural parts in as windshield frame and the 'guts' of a book shelf or something similar. That being said we should be able to cut away all the parts of that cabinet we don't care for (it's pretty heavy gauge metal). It'll leave just the frame the windshield is sitting on. We want the ability to see out as much of the front of the bus as possible while riding.

Downstairs, the rest of the panels on the ceiling are out and I'm working up the courage to remove the trim work around the engine bay so I can add back firewall material. I'm also slightly stuck on figuring out how to actually seal the bus. It is not airtight by any stretch of the imagination; I can see through a lot of spots to the outside.

On the window front I've got a pretty solid lead on a glass company willing to pull the windows and replace the gaskets. The big local autobody shop didn't want to do it, but referred me to my most recent lead who _knows_ it's a bus and that it's a double decker.

I am a still figuring out how I plan to attach the exterior platform for generator and A/C compressor (the exterior shell of the bus is pretty flimsy aluminum, and finding the frame pieces to attach to will be irritating and error prone since the interior is wrapped entirely in heavy gauge aluminum so you can't actually _see_ the frame). I have the same worry for the awning I plan to attach for solar panels. Although the frame above the windows is _much_ easier to access.

Once the gaskets are done it'll be time to finish stripping down the interior and to adding furring strips for insulation. Then to get it spray foamed so it stops sucking being in the bus...welcome to Central New York winters!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Hey man, any updates on the bus?
Old 03-19-2021, 05:30 AM   #51

Wow that is a blast from the past , this bus was new to my local bus depot in Gateshead , North East England, she was yellow & white when new. The bus company always removed the lower fog lights in the bumper once they broke . These Leyland Olympians were great buses back in the day & this one looks be in great structural condition. i would love to see what she looks like when completed.
Grahamy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #52

http://https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO...-/283371387464
Grahamy09 is offline   Reply With Quote