Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: GM427
Looking for advice for my first skoolie project vehicle

Hi gang,

I am looking at a 1993 Bluebird International PC200 with about 60k miles. It is a flatnose, has the GM 427 gas engine, and the 87545 tranny with a gear ratio in rear end at 7.17 . Also it has hydraulic brakes.

Tires are good, it drove well, the engine looks a little dusty but the hoses and the seals I could see were in good shape. There are a good number of storage compartments underneath. I guess it will get about 9-10mpg.

My budget is about $2500 for the coach, but their asking 4300 for it.

Let me know what you think about this bus and its prospect as a good skoolie conversion, an if you know anything about this model specifically please tell me.

I am familiar with RV conversions and am considering setting this bus up for year-round living and driving in the Rocky Mountains and possibly a trip to the East coast next year.

I will post pictures once I get them up on my server.

Chris

brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Looking for advie for my first skoolie project vehicle

Ditto S=itty (don't have a = on this keyboard)--diesel. diesel, diesel, diesel. Also an =t643 trans=ission for lock up on 3rd & 4th.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Is the button missing or dead? If its just missing, find a key you NEVER Use and pop it off with a screwdriver and put it into the M key. If its dead, you might try opening the keyboard and cleaning inside and between the sheets of plastic... Or go to an office supply store and just get a 10 buck keyboard.

I got two keyboards, both missing the ESC key, so I popped off a key from one to use on the other. Both work just fine, so when the first dies, I take out the insides and keep the rest for the other keyboard.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

It's a laptop that I dropped a cup of coffee onto/into. Got it clean & dry, though two+ keys don't work. This is with the keyboard disasse=bled and contacts under keys ju+ped. Replacle+ent KYBD is $60, laptop worth $20.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
. Replacle+ent KYBD is $60, laptop worth $20.
Hard left turn on this thread = priceless
vonrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Re: Looking for advice for my first skoolie project vehicle

Replacement keyboard is about 7-12 bucks with tax in CA, not great, but works and is USB. Hell, if your really lucky, you might get a keyboard for 2 bucks at a Goodwill/SalvationArmy or even less at a Yard/Garage sale.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Hadn't thought to use an external KYBD. & yes I a= sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Technically, I hijacked the thread... I am sorry, and I would like to Apologize.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #9

Back on topic then I suppose.

I'm new here too, but from what I've learned so far is that what you described doesn't sound like much of a deal, let alone a good buy.

Also, you have not provided enough information about your potential bus for anybody that actually knew what they were talking about to offer you any meaningful advice.

That being said, it seems that a common theme around here is to take your time with your bus purchase, and get it right the first time (and also fully and carefully analyze keyboard any M key replacements).
vonrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Um... Tips I have picked up here.

1. Pictures are great. Lets you remember what you saw, and allows others to point out things.
2. Listen to what the Sales Weenie says when you ask him questions, and I do mean LISTEN. There is Always something that they dont say. You have to catch them trying to avoid it...
3. Look for Rust, bad paint, and general Crud/Crap. If it looks like there is too much Rust or Crud, might consider walking. Bubbled paint indicates rust, single bubble is a rivet.
4. If they have the bus running when you show up... You need a new battery, and maybe have a short. I have heard two stories where this has happened, maybe three, cant remember.
5. Test Drive it on City Streets AND the Freeway. Anything less than 20miles and you cant be sure that the bus is all that they claim. No Test Drive, not a good idea.
6. Auction Sites are NOT for trusting people. Too many times have people bought vehicles that "Run Great" or are "In Great Shape" and arn't.

I am sure there are others, but I am too tired at the moment to remember them. So I will invite others to fill out the list.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas

This my take on this. I think the bus you are looking at is fine if you are not planing on a trip across the US. Like Smity said that rear end is low. As far as the gas motor I am for that. My way of thinking is I can install a new motor for what just a repaired injection pump would cost. Plus if it breaks down on the road I can go to any auto parts store and get what is need to get me going. The price I think is high...Thats my opinion and opinions are like as####es eveyone has one. Thanks

One more thing Is it a fuel injected 427 that would be a plus....
Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Quote:
6. Auction Sites are NOT for trusting people. Too many times have people bought vehicles that "Run Great" or are "In Great Shape" and arn't.

I am sure there are others, but I am too tired at the moment to remember them. So I will invite others to fill out the list.
I can second that.
I bought my VW from E-Bay. The Seller DID say in the auction that it had wiring issues. Turns out the issues were that someone had HACKED up the original wiring harness with connections made with electrical tape, scotch tape, duct tape, masking tape, and some actual soldered splices that looked like the solder had been heated from 3 feet above the splice and then dribbled on the wires. The left tailight was ALWAYS on when the car ran. The turn signals were wired into toggle switches on the dash. Left toggle for left blinker, right toggle for right blinker and both for 4 way hazard lights. The Voltmeter and fuel guage were wired in so they were "hot" all the time. I had to start the car every day to keep the battery charged. SOMETIMES the car wouldnt start. Somehow, I found that if you turn on the headlights on, the car would start and run. BUT if you started it witht he headlights on, you could turn the key off and the car would still run until you turned the headlights back off. Supposedly it has a straight body. Yes.... it LOOKS straight, but I would be scared to sand off all the paint and see how much Bondo I really have.
$4300 sounds a little high in price to me. Unless the thing is PRISTINE.
The low geared rear end I would cringe at. If you don't think its a big deal. Come visit me. I will take you for a ride in my bus. It runs 45 mph. And going 45 is pretty much SCREAMIN. It took me over an hour to get to a camping spot that is about 40 miles away from home.
You could swap the rear end, but that costs more money on top of the initial purchase.
Quote:
Thats my opinion and opinions are like as####es eveyone has one. Thanks

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Bus Nut

427 in a 93 chasis doesn't sound right for OEM, I would think 366 or 454, check it out before you jump in
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #14

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: GM427

The engine is a 427 according to the tag on the Block. I do not think it is Fuel injected as I did not notice a fuel rail on the block.

The 427 has good power, and my toad would be a full size conversion van. Low gearing might work better for this setup.

I like the fact that running out of gas, getting started in the cold, and parts replacement are easier with the gas engine than diesel. I have limited experience with Diesel engines but have researched biodiesel conversions enough to know that diesel can have more problems than I am used to dealing with in gasoline mechanics. Given that I will often be driving in the Colorado Rocky Mountains (7000-12000'altitude) I expect the weather will often be cold and the lower gearing may prove handy in this setting. What about longetivity ? What is the cost of running/maintaining a diesel in comparison to a gas engine over 200k miles ?

Tough to wait for another good prospect to come along...I am ready to start the conversion now. With winter coming on (up here it lasts nearly 6 months) I am anxious. You are all right of course. Waiting for the right rig is best.

Chris
brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I dont think you can go wrong with that engine. My bus with a Cummins 5.9 15k lbs only averaged 8.4 mpgs. When I worked for Uhaul their trucks with the 366 carbd got around 5 so all in all it is not a huge difference. A few $150-$200 oil and filter changes in the diesel can eat up alot, if any, savings on mileage. I used to be all about diesel but after working around diesel equipment and trucks for a few years now I feel like I have less and less faith in them. There is nothing cheap on a diesel and one stupid repair can be the entire cost to replace a gas motor.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote