Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking for complete or near complete bus!!!!

I found this bus on craigslist and thought it may be a good deal, but need some help. I've got a year or so to do my research and would prefer a bus with a front engine with the aero style and not the flat nose...for fuel economy and ease of maintenance reasons. Strong engine and trans for pulling a trailer as well. But if I can still find that with a front engine flat nose..I'm all for it, but like i said..any assistance with this would be much appreciated and still have that "I haven't been screwed over feel". Thanks in advance!!!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...513811693.html

Madrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 78
It looks like everything that’s been done has been done correctly... assuming it runs fine too. But $32K is absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn’t even pay half of that. Most people build skoolies to save money. That’s more than twice the projected cost of my entire build.

Photo Album updated weekly: https://thederelictebus.com/photo-gallery/
Velocipedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Ok...thats what I was thinking. I've seen some completely finished for 50k or in that price range, but are VERY negotiable...so not sure where the barometer is on them. I'll keep posting some that I find and see what people think..like yourself. I just don't have the time or the tools to start from scratch on something like this. Looked on your page though..nice rig!!!
Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've been meaning to ask what a decent price for a retail roof raise would be. I have my answer here, it's $20k. IMHO that wouldn't be worth the asking price if it was built out, but the build out hasn't even started.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
To have it done by a commercial shop I don't think $15-20 K would be outrageous. Having done a couple since I retired I know what it takes to do a good lift that looks good when finished.If you expect the shop to remove windows rub rails filler strips ect cut the back lift the roof weld in and make the supports reside and fabricate the nose cone even without paint there is a lot of work there and commercial shops can't do that for low prices they have to make a living too. That's how come skoolie builders do them themselves.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
To have it done by a commercial shop I don't think $15-20 K would be outrageous. Having done a couple since I retired I know what it takes to do a good lift that looks good when finished.If you expect the shop to remove windows rub rails filler strips ect cut the back lift the roof weld in and make the supports reside and fabricate the nose cone even without paint there is a lot of work there and commercial shops can't do that for low prices they have to make a living too. That's how come skoolie builders do them themselves.
Indeed. We can contribute our labor free and we have no fixed shop-costs.

A shop would do it quicker, but they have fixed costs probably running $50 per hour before they even start, and they have to make a profit.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 78
Anyone with decent handyman skills, a friend who can weld, and a case of beer (for bribing your friends to come help) can do a roof raise for pretty darn cheap over a Saturday.

That being said, I didn't have the time and was fortunate enough to get East Coast CB's awesome bus. Really, though, it wouldn't have been that hard... especially knowing what I do now.

Photo Album updated weekly: https://thederelictebus.com/photo-gallery/
Velocipedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Isn't that bus in the ad a member's bus?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

#1892 2002 Blue Bird All American RE 8.3L Cummins Diesel Auto Air Brakes 14 Row Used Bus Belly Storage Florida @ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL

Now onto maybe a conversion plan...a bit pricey though...but looks clean and powerful!!!!