Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #221
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Since it wasn't clear what sequence or combination of connections were done, here's a note about them: soldering is a great way to join wires. However, don't use solder followed by mechanical joining (crimp/screw/clamp/etc). This can be especially tempting when crimping terminals to the end of a conductor. If ever anything causes that joint to get warm, such as a screw working loose on a ring terminal, then the solder will soften, which makes the mechanical connection more loose, it then produces more heat... things can go downhill fast. The well-done mechanical-only joint would have heated, but without solder going soft and creating a loose connection in the compressed area, the heating would be better limited.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #222
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Since it wasn't clear what sequence or combination of connections were done, here's a note about them: soldering is a great way to join wires. However, don't use solder followed by mechanical joining (crimp/screw/clamp/etc). This can be especially tempting when crimping terminals to the end of a conductor. If ever anything causes that joint to get warm, such as a screw working loose on a ring terminal, then the solder will soften, which makes the mechanical connection more loose, it then produces more heat... things can go downhill fast. The well-done mechanical-only joint would have heated, but without solder going soft and creating a loose connection in the compressed area, the heating would be better limited.
I generally appreciate advice, so thank you.

I will, however, respectfully disagree based on my experience in mobile electronics. Solder is not, and never has been, intended as a binding agent. It is merely a tool to improve conduction and MUST be supported with some kind of mechanical connection, particularly in a mobile environment. If not it will work harden and crack, causing a bad connection.

Not soldering, however, is a great way to create the exact heat situation you are describing. I can't count the number of times I've dealt with non-soldered shoddy workmanship that makes for intermittent connections and unnecessary heat. That is the stick and staple (and redneck radio and amp install) way and the whole reason wire nuts in S/S campers are melted half the time.

So, to clarify my connection method -
I twist the stranded wire together.
Heat the connection, applying solder until it wicks into the wire and evenly coats the wires being joined.
Cap it with a wire nut.
Tape the connection starting with the wire nut, winding down around the wires, pulling them tight together below the nut, and winding back over the nut so the tape pulls the wire nut in both directions.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #223
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yep^ I agree.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #224
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
That's how it was 'splained to me.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #225
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
To start with the common ground: I'm glad we all agree that the Scotchlok quick splice is an abomination. Even if it is made by 3M!

It seems that our thoughts have somewhat passed each other. The scenario I meant to discourage is one like the following: a single stranded conductor tinned then inserted to some mechanical terminal. Maybe crimped into a ring or spade terminal, maybe inserted to a terminal block or placed under a screw, etc. Generally, such technique supposes that the tinned stranded wire is equivalent to a solid wire. The trouble there is that the solder adds bulk, but it is soft. It can deform until what was once a firm connection becomes loose. I would view individually/separately tinned and subsequently wire-nutted conductors the same way.

The above becomes a very different scenario if the crimp is done first and solder applied second. IMHO that makes for a reliable joint, especially since most of us would be working with crimp tools that lack the perfect die for the particular wire and terminal and so the crimp isn't the best.

Your method is different from the above (thanks for sharing it in more detail!). Because the conductors are twisted and soldered together, not merely tinned separately, and with the added bonus of a wire nut exerting some spring compression on the joint, it sounds like a very secure connection.

I confess: I didn't quite understand the part about the tape pulling the wire nut in both directions. Does that mean toward and away from the conductors (axially)? Or does it mean in a twisting direction, to ensure the tension on the stretched tape isn't working to unscrew the wire nut..?

Is there a reason why you wouldn't use shrink tube? I don't recall ever finding something that had been taped years earlier and thinking "wow, this tape is in great shape!" It seems that with time and temperature the adhesive always goes gooey and slippery and the tape loosens. I haven't seen that yet with shrink tube, especially the adhesive-lined or thick-walled types.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #226
Bus Nut

The tape going both ways on the wire nut is to keep it from twisting either way.

Shrink tube is nice.

I only use 3m super33 tape for wiring. It stays put and stays pliable.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #227
Bus Geek

Dude,
You come on here and haven't even said high in like years

Hope all is good, I actually started LaTortuga last night...felt good...must hit the road

What you "been do'in' Willis"?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #228
Bus Nut

Work mostly. Church softball league, kids functions, etc... But mostly, I work at a computer all day and never feel like getting online once I'm home. I'll try to be less of a stranger in the future.

Congrats on getting started on the 'tuga! Hope everything goes as smoothly as it has for me.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #229
Bus Nut

Work is ramping back up on Ludicrous Speed!

On tap between now and multiple summer trips:
Bathroom construction
Fresh water tanks and supply
waste water tanks
Proper Propane plumbing for range
12V lighting for kitchen and bathroom
Cabinet with doors over sink
Cabinet doors on pantry
Generator and related

Lets see how far we get this year!

adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

Old 03-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #230
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Are you going to use PEX tubing on your water set up? Id recomend it, even though I haven't started on my Skoolie yet, I have re-plumbed a new shower and icemaker line in the main bathroom in my house, along with the "Sharkbite" compression fittings, that stuff is absolutely amazing!

The compression fittings are a little pricey but so are the ring and barbed fittings for pex tubing. Not to mention the crimping tool you will most likely use for this project alone! I found a 30' section of used pex with fittings in it in a RV salvage yard it had about 25 fittings on it including the water valves for the sinks and shower. Soaked'em in vinegar to get the old calcium off, and pow, $100 worth of fittings for $20!

Looking forward to more pics and posts!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #231
Bus Nut

I have a bunch of PEX I salvaged from an old RV I will be using.
Might use a combination of stuff, as I'm thinking of using CPVC in the walls and PEX for the long runs.

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #232
Bus Nut

Look out! Here comes another progress dump!!!

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #233
Bus Nut

Where to begin?!?

We installed doors on the pantry...
The doors were made from prefab shelf boards. They are just sawdust board with a veneer on them, but they will work for now and were relatively cheap.

The 9 and 11 year olds were learning/helping.

We edged the boards with rolls of the matching banding they had available. By the way, cheap spray adhesive doesn't work so well... use contact cement.

The hardware is auto-closing hinges and matching knobs from Menards (they might as well be sponsoring us) that we bought on sale.

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #234
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those look great! do you put latches on cabinets so they dont come open or rattle aroiund when driving?

great idea on using shelves as doors..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #235
Bus Nut

We will just put a rubber band around the handles for now... latches are not out of the question if it becomes an issue.

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #236
Bus Nut

Next we installed a cupboard over the sink for dishes and whatnot...

We started by taping a cardboard box in place to get an idea of how the placement and size "feels".

We then framed it out with 2x4s and 2x2s.

She's totally excited about having more storage in the bus...

All but the doors done. The doors were the same treatment the pantry got.

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #237
Bus Nut

Now... on to (drum roll please...) the bathroom!

We were going to use a premade floor pan that we salvaged out of our old RV, but due to a slight miscalculation on my part...

we didn't have the space. We thought about shoehorning it in, or moving some other fixtures, but eventually decided to build our own.

We cut the floor pan we had apart to get the layer that accounts for the slope to the corner drain.

We built a raised platform out of 2x4s for the toilet, as it is not terribly tall...

Covered the base and riser with plywood and cement board. All sandwiched with lots of roofing caulk to avoid squeaks and creaks etc. Yes the toilet is just set in there for reference.

On to the flooring!

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #238
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im a HUGE fan of cardboard box mockups!! cardboard boxes and mark walls or dividers or furniture with blue painters tape that you NEVER step over or on..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #239
Bus Nut

We bought a pile of 4" square tiles from the local Habitat for Humanity restore at $.25 each and proceeded to lay out the floor (Barb did the tiling pretty much by herself while I was on the road for work).

We used tile adhesive made for pools and silicon based grout to finish due to flexing environment.

adjective

Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #240
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im a HUGE fan of cardboard box mockups!! cardboard boxes and mark walls or dividers or furniture with blue painters tape that you NEVER step over or on..

-Christopher
Something we did that I have yet to see anyone copy... we used bed sheets and magnets to lay out the rooms. Way less work than cardboard to mock up walls and gives a really accurate feel.

adjective