Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Magic Bus

Hi,
I'm finally registered after lurking and reading this forum for several months.
Thanks to Brandon for the registration help.

I'll post some pics and more soon.
For now I'll just comment on my bus.

A 1989 Chevrolet C-60 with a Carpenter body.
8.2 Detroit Diesel (Jasper rebuild) with turbo.
4 speed Allison auto trans.

Nice forum here with loads of great inspirations and how2's.
Hopefully I can contribute.

Air Brakes.
magic_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Hello from a newbie :)

Welcome to the madness, and glad I was able to help!
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks

I'll look at how to post pics of my bus on this forum L8R after I get done painting my dining room and post a few.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Ahahaaha........... welcome to the madness....
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Welcome. You probably know about Photobucket--it is easy to transfer pics from there to here and you won't run into the "you have reached the limit of pics etc" like you will if you post pics direct from here. Good luck and remember, if we don't see a picture of it --it didn't happen! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Welcome Magic! --- Sounds like a dandy starter unit but as Trunt noted...no pix, no bus! Good luck with the photo thing, seems they make it more complicated every time they "improve" it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Well.. I'm far from computer challenged, but can't seem to post anything but the code from photobucket on here.
Suggestion?
Air Brakes.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Skoolie

Here you go: Your fixed post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_bus
OK pics....so it does exist and count, lol--->

Bought it with good repaint with implement paint and all windows professionally smoked. Interior seats gone and inside repainted and carpeted with a few pieces of furniture like counter/sink-sofa-table.---->

Then I started a repaint of the exterior last fall. Had to stop at this point because weather got too cold. Will finish outside paint come early spring warm up.------>

I plan on painting in orange flame between the yellow and red ones. Hence - red to orange to yellow. Then paint remainder of hood and top of cab black.

More to come.
When you paste images all you need to do is paste the url of the image I.E. http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad12 ... 5a9b60.jpg

Once you have pasted the url, highlight the url and click on the img button in the editor and this will paste the bb code tag around the url like this:
Code:
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Welcome...like the flames!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

i always loved the front of the C-60 bodys the grill and hood just make it look like an old tank
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Very Excellent! --- what are the plans beyond the kickin' paint scheme?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

ahhhhhhh......Thanks for the photobucket fix and explanation.

Let's try em bigger. ( after clicking the thumbs first of course)

As she was bought----->

In progress as she is now with my "mods"---------->

Yeah, being a Chevy guy anyway, I liked keeping to the classic round headlight look and keeping away from the computer controlled injection and such. Was leery of the Detroit Diesel at first, but its the 2nd to last year it was used and is a quality rebuild so I'm thinking it will be fine for my use as I'm not a commercial driver and it will get relatively light service.

Right now I have it set up with a couple sofas, curtains, a portable air conditioner, oil filled radiator heat, a table, counter, unplumbed sink and desk. A temp setup for late summer & fall fun last year.

Upcoming plans are to leave windows intact on the outside. Cover some on the inside ( the limo tint nicely hides what I'll cover or not from the outside). Insulate floor and plywood/tile it. Frame inside by using standard lumber framing and plywood to add open living area up front. Shower/toilet & back bedroom.

I scrounged a travel trailer for the water tank/waste water tanks/ fuse box/ inverter and other stuff to put into the bus. Likely just plan it as I go. ( the way I work best).

I've put a few hundred miles on her & she seems to run pretty well. She runs cool, brakes nicely, starts easily even in cold weather and runs very quiet. The Jasper rebuilt 8.2 seems to be pretty tight. She got 12+ mpg on the highway on long trip running between 60-65 mph ( WAY BETTER than the old gas V8 buses I've owned in the past). She is geared nicely and will run 65mph + easily. Clean burning diesel too...no white or black smoke so I'm guessing she is tuned right. She came right out of service from a Columbus Ohio school system 2 years ago. I've had her almost a year.

I need to change oil and filters this spring and get a new set of steering tires. I replaced one air brake valve on the back. ( Top cover rusted through on case and made it leak down slowly, but all good now).
Like I said, the paint is only 1/2 done.
I plan on air brushing some murals on the purple and across back end and on the grill & above windscreen ( I air brush). I'll let it design itself as I go.

Change name from Margaritaville ( not my name) to her new name of "Magic Bus". ( my 4 previous buses had same name dating back to the early 80's, so she will be Magic Bus 5)

I'll shoot a few inside pics soon and post them before I start framing.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Magic Bus

Two things....

#1 Some folks are on slow internet connections. You can click on an image to view the image and increase the size of the image if you want. Thumbnails take up less space all around. (Yes, sometimes I forget and post a large image).

#2 And what's wrong with Margaritaville? Although I prefer Pina Coladas... frozen of course.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Two things....

#1 Some folks are on slow internet connections. You can click on an image to view the image and increase the size of the image if you want. Thumbnails take up less space all around. (Yes, sometimes I forget and post a large image).

#2 And what's wrong with Margaritaville? Although I prefer Pina Coladas... frozen of course.
#1= Good point on the pics.
Now fixed.
( sorry, I'm spoiled these days with a 30mb down cable connection & forget some are not as lucky still.)

#2= And not into margaritas, Jimmy Buffet or Key West.
( disclaimer = although that may be just fine for others tastes & Jimmy does have a few old songs I like )

More of an import beer/rum & coke guy.

PS---- How are you liking your 8.2 Turbo???....... is it as smooth and efficient as mine seems to be?
And I LOVE your 1 piece door conversion. It's very high on my to-do list.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Bus Geek

I like my turbo and no one here believes the fantastic fuel mileage.

I'm originally from Fla Beaches (7th gen). I like sand with the Atlantic ocean (not gulf) lapping on the shore. My first "adult" drink was a Pina colada, and I like dark rum and a coke/pepsi. Snow is EVIL! I fully understand shooting the freezer up because it's to cold and there's too much snow. Not that I would do that. We don't have any guns. And I like Jimmy Buffet. My bus is a Southern beach cottage theme
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I like my turbo and no one here believes the fantastic fuel mileage.

I'm originally from Fla Beaches (7th gen). I like sand with the Atlantic ocean (not gulf) lapping on the shore. My first "adult" drink was a Pina colada, and I like dark rum and a coke/pepsi. Snow is EVIL! I fully understand shooting the freezer up because it's to cold and there's too much snow. Not that I would do that. We don't have any guns. And I like Jimmy Buffet. My bus is a Southern beach cottage theme
Well, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale as a teen for 3 years. Have relations in Fla. from Clearwater to Miami. Florida is nice in the winter and way too muggy in the summer for my taste. And the tourist trade kinda messes up the tropical atmosphere imho.
Good fishing, lots of cute females though.
Key West is a trip these days. Much different & not as peaceful from when we went there when I was a teen to visit my uncle who was stationed there in the submarine branch of the Navy.

I'm in Ohio now ( a native), LOVE MIchigan ( Northern) & the great lakes. It is great in the summer and "challenging" in the winter. But the fishing & hunting is great and the low population and huge expanses of forest make up for the cold IMHO. I'll likely retire there, likely relocate there sooner. ( I have guns, boats & such and am an outdoors type)

And I don't know what your 8.2 gets, but as I said....mine gets an easy 12-13 mpg highway @ 60mph ....maybe a tad more on a straight with the wind at my back. She's geared good, has a solid rebuilt engine and a tight Allison 4 speed auto.
I'm running 22 radials too for tires & that helps I'm sure.
I've heard they blow smoke, over heat and are loud. Mine is none of the above.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
... I lived in Ft. Lauderdale as a teen for 3 years...
Ft. Pierce. Family has lived in Jupiter from the 1920's (grandfather was a rumrunner during prohibition... his brother was a Jupiter cop) until my aunt sold out in the 1980's. most of the family is from central FL (inland Volusia County)

Quote:
I'm in Ohio now ( a native), LOVE MIchigan ( Northern) & the great lakes. It is great in the summer and "challenging" in the winter.
David is MI native (my family claims his family picked him up in GA on their way to FL). After hearing tales about MI winters... NO WAY am I going someplace with that much snow. We can visit during the 4 week summer they have. Now David couldn't stand the winter so it's not a problem.

Quote:
And I don't know what your 8.2 gets, but as I said....mine gets an easy 12-13 mpg highway @ 60mph ....maybe a tad more on a straight with the wind at my back. She's geared good, has a solid rebuilt engine and a tight Allison 4 speed auto.
I'm running 22 radials too for tires & that helps I'm sure.
I've heard they blow smoke, over heat and are loud. Mine is none of the above.
We have only a little smoke at start up. We do have a heat problem (will build a misting system for the radiator). Our gearing isn't that great for speed. has 5.22 (?) ratio (not quite sure how bad that is). David was keeping up with the semis on our way out here from NC. But they were running kinda slow. We prefer traveling the primary and secondary highways rather than interstates. So a slower speed is okay.

We traveled 1700 miles NC to NM. First fuel stop we dipped the tank first and then topped it off. All total for the whole trip, we bought 100 gallons diesel for the bus. At the end of the trip, we dipped the tank and had about what we started out with. We have since fixed the fuel tank float (it had a small hole in it that we soldered closed while working on the conversion). Everyone here on the forums thinks I missed a fueling stop. Kinda hard to do when someone is laughing at you because you are driving a vintage stick-n-staples Class C that had to be filled EVERY DAY. The Class C only got 6 to 8 mpg depending on head winds. I figure the mpg's don't matter. It is what it is. We don't travel all that much. We stay parked mostly. Depending on what vacation time I get and the $$ we get saved up, we want to see the Grand Canyon & Carlsbad Caverns before we leave NM to go back east to... (GA?)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
....... NO WAY am I going someplace with that much snow. We can visit during the 4 week summer they have.

Actually, if you stick to the northeast side ( no lake effect snow off Lake Michigan) and stay away from the U.P. ( snow out the wazoo), winter is not too bad. (compared to Southern Ohio that is).
And non muggy summers with abundant clean fresh air is very enjoyable. The inland freshwater seas are beautiful as are the numerous clear streams and lakes! (they get a good 3 months of summer or more & a real actual spring & fall! )
But it's all relative as you'll acclimate in short order.
And just think.... no brown recluse, scorpions, huge spiders, fire ants, palmetto bugs ( HUGE ROACHES that can pack off your cat), numerous poisonous snakes etc, etc. ( I guess you do get bears, wolves and other assorted critters in their place).

But I do enjoy going fishing & relaxing around Everglades City and hanging out on Clearwater beach in the winter for a week or two. (need to do that again soon)

New Mexico is IMHO the best southwestern state. Super pretty around Taos especially.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
... New Mexico is IMHO the best southwestern state. Super pretty around Taos especially.
Try living here year round! Can't wait to get back east!

Best thing for us would be to spend the summers in the Southern Appalachian Mtns and the winters on the beaches. That is how I grew up (Dad was a workaholic and it was the only way he could set tile year-round).

If we won the lottery, we would buy a summer home base in the TN Mtns and a winter base on the Gulf coast. From those two places we would travel hither & yon. But reality is I have to work and vacations are few and far between. Oh well. I'll just deal with it and periodically buy a lottery ticket.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
And just think.... no brown recluse, scorpions, huge spiders, fire ants, palmetto bugs ( HUGE ROACHES that can pack off your cat), numerous poisonous snakes etc, etc. ( I guess you do get bears, wolves and other assorted critters in their place).
Michigan ain't that bad, at least not down near The D where we are. We did see some black bears up in our camp in mid-michigan this year and deer are always traipsing through our back yard, but last winter, and so far this winter, we didn't even get much snow. Roaches here are pretty small except for The Roach, and he has his own bus.