Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
MahBurschk

We have been the proud owners of our 1991 International bus for 3 weeks now. We drove up to the NC/VA border to pick it up, a 4 hour drive up. Which is about 5-6 hours with the bus. I had driven a manual twice before, both little trucks down back roads. My wife had much more experience than I and she was originally going to take the drive back down. But, anxiety of driving a huge bus with no registration or insurance and me needing to learn lead me to take a half hour down a back road in an attempt to learn. The bus seemed an easy vehicle to learn on, the PO had mentioned he had some of his boy scouts try and learn on it (the bus was originally bought to serve the local troop, but some change in regulations caused him to have to sell it and get a van instead).

So, we got it home without any troubles. Besides, of course, me stalling out on hills as people in small towns stare at me. I tried to play it off and smile and wave and start it back up and be on my way.

It, reportedly, has 1,022,XXX miles on the DT466 w/ manual spicer 5-speed transmission. This had me apprehensive, but from previous experience, I have learned that mileage is only half of the story when it comes to the condition of the vehicle. I think an engine can only really last that long with proper service and maintenance. Hopefully, it serves us well. We don't foresee a whole lot of driving or cross-country trips. Other than getting us and our home to Michigan, it will likely stay within the state boundaries.

Which reminds me- can anyone chime in on what state may offer better retitling? SC or MI?

So far, we have removed all the seats and de-paneled just under half of the interior. This is going to be a permanent home for us as we transition back to Michigan, I go back to school, get a job and settle in on our own land. So, who knows how long that could take. So far, the bus has seemed maybe a little small, but we are making it work! It had 11 windows and seems internal usable square footage is about 190.

A roof raise is not planned, though tempting. We will be removing all the interior and insulating for Michigan winters. I'll be attempting to hire a contractor to do it. We are trying to source some windows now, and I'm about at the point of contacting glass shops in town to try and get some dual pane units to make my own awning windows (open outwards from the bottom). Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
11742713_10204053508849745_5527678830569396741_n.jpg   11707508_10153125373056847_411803051427031412_n.jpg   11752466_10153109102581847_8833388575763649394_n.jpg   11817212_10153126953006847_7237275568853580529_n.jpg  

Old 07-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Almost There

Woah, not sure how this one got posted, definitely a mistake. Would a moderator mind deleting this?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
SC WAS a piece of cake to get registered as a motorbike.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
How in the world did you get a bus registered as a motorbike??

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How in the world did you get a bus registered as a motorbike??

You do it VERY carefully.....
Old 08-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
Bus Nut

[QUOTE=sojourner;118940]SC WAS a piece of cake to get registered as a motorbike.[/QUOTEs! 😁

Gotta love auto correct, NOT!!

"Motorbike" should read motor home.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #7
Almost There

This thread is meant to be deleted. The wife and I were messing around with names for the bus and the enter key was mistakenly hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
SC WAS a piece of cake to get registered as a motor home.
But, I might as well ask.

I just read through your thread, great stuff you are doing. I really rely on those with more experience around here. I am in a bit over my head, but proceeding cautiously and learning every step of the way.

I saw you are about 1.5 hrs drive SE of me. Though, I am not from around here, but from Michigan.

Did they ask to see the bus conversion or anything like that? I hit 30 days Monday since I purchased it, I wonder if they will fine me if I register after then. I would like to get it registered here in SC if the process is easy and they don't even inspect it.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Here's how it went at the DMV from my thread. No inspection.
"Went to the DMV today. WHen I walked up to the counter I told the lady I wanted to title my bus as an RV. She asked if I had it inspected and I asked where do I get that done and how do I do it without a tag of some sort? She began writing down a phone number for the state DMV office and I told her I had already talked to them before the purchase to find out if it was possible. at that she went to talk with her supervisor. When she got back she said no problem. She just needed my license, a receipt for the sale, the title and a form 400. She gave me a form 400, a pen and directed me to the counter to fill out my paperwork. Once done I returned to the counter and things went pretty smoothly. There was one thing a bit different on the original title though in that the title says the make was Genesis. I had always thought the model was a Genesis and the Make was AmTrans. The title will read Genesis make and model. So it will be titled a Genesis, Genesis Motorhome in the state of SC. $148.75 later and in 2 weeks the title should be mailed to me. Gonna wait until I put it on the road to get the tags for it. Anyhow, pretty painless after a few strange looks from the people at the counter. That hurdle is now over with!!"

If you want to schedule a visit sometime let me know. I'll be happy to show you what I've got done do far in person.