Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #1

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-360
Rated Cap: 66
MARV - My Awesome RV

OK, so I convinced the wife that an RV would be more enjoyable for our camping trips than the current trailer/toy hauler conversion that we use. Don't get me wrong, it's real comfy, but it takes more time to get our campsite set up than just pulling up in an RV would. We looked around for a month or so for some used Class A's under $3500 but couldn't find one that a) slept more than three people comfortably; b) didn't currently or previously have some type of roof leak; and c) didn't need some significant mechanical work. We had thought about a skoolie a few years ago when we were in Florida and even won an eBay auction for an old church bus at one point. That deal went south when the rep for the church told me they could get it to start but not drive when they went to pick it up from storage. I decided it wasn't worth getting into a tizzy over and let the auction go.

We do a lot of ATV riding and where we camp at is about two miles of the paved path up and down a winding rough road. We decided a skoolie would be more durable for the trip and we could layout a floorplan that slept six to eight comfortably. I found MARV on Craigslist in Branson, MO listed for $1200. After a good test drive and a couple of phone calls to my father (who knows diesel engines better than I) we settled on $900 with the owner. The 125-mile drive back home was smooth sailing, except for some of the Ozark uphills on I-44 which slowed me to a steady crawl. I've since found out that it is governed at 60mph as well. This works for me since it should reduce the wear and tear on the engine and help control my lead foot on the highway. Half of any vacation is supposed to be in getting there, right?

MARV is a 1988 International Carpenter 66-pax with a DT-360 Diesel engine and Allison AT545 auto tranny. It wasn't used by a school district. The remnants of the lettering on the side show it to have belonged to a transportation company. Overall, it's in really good shape. There was some rust at the rear door that I had to contend with and the lower step needs some attention in the back corner. Both of the emergency hatches are leaking when it rains so I bought a gallon of elastomeric roof patch. Once the rain lets up I can get up there and give the topsides a good coating. Hopefully that will cure that problem. We're planning to paint the whole roof with elastomeric paint later on so this seemed like the best fix for the leaks.

Everything else seems to be in good shape. All of the seats had already been removed by the PO. One problem I am having is the consant buzzer that goes off when I start it up. I'm thinking when he removed the two emergency door sensors he didn't kill the alarm buzzer which means the alarm thinks the doors have been opened. Anybody have any thoughts on that one? I have a day off next week and think I may take the big boy over to the bus barn and see if they might take a look at it for me.

We bought the bus back before Thanksgiving but the weather has finally gotten decent enough for me to get out there and get some work done. We bought an 18' travel trailer for donor parts for $850 and a second 15K roof a/c with heat strip for $200. Once we get the travle trailer gutted, I plan to flat deck it and use it to haul our ATVs. I spent a little longer and a little extra $$$ to get a trailer that would suit both needs. I'll post our progress as we go (as I remember to anyway). You can see pictures of MARV at: http://picasaweb.google.com/ozarkfre...83526484781010

Thanks for looking,
Tom

tshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: MARV - My Awesome RV

Welcome to the best SKOOLIE site on the WWW.
Looking promising your bus, make sure you keep us updated on your progress.
Do your buzzers buzz all the time while your driving down the road, or just when starting up for a few minutes?
If you have airbrakes, the air buzzer will buzz until proper airpressure is reached.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Nice seats and just the color I have been looking for............I don't like you Looke like a good start. have fun!

AND welcome!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the kind words. The buzzer stays on all the time, but I don't think they are air brakes. The PO told me that it has electric brakes. I'm still thinking that it's the alarm from the emergency exits. The sensor back there is gone so I'm thinking that is setting the alarm off. I didn't get up to the bus barn today, but hopefully I can soon.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Electric brakes???
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Electric brakes???
It's not likely to have electric-activated brake shoes like trailers. Some medium-duty trucks with power-assisted hydraulic brakes have an electric vacuum pump to be sure the boost is always there when you mash the pedal. Unlike a passenger car, your legs are rarely strong enough to stop a heavy vehicle lacking its boost by just pressing harder. I've also seen a fire pumper that had an electric compressor that kicks in to keep air brakes ready. I would expect a buzzer to sound for low vacuum or low air in addition to various door and hatch latches.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Love those seats!

Where does one look for seats like that? RV wrecking yard? Or truck supply houses?
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes. I'll definitely check it out and look for air tanks.

I picked the seats up at a local auto salvage yard for $75 each. They are Flex-Steel brand seats out of a Ford Conversion van. I really lucked out finding those. I'd love to find another one myself for a driver's seat. The trick will probably be finding the same color.

I've also posted some more pics of our progress @ http://picasaweb.google.com/ozarkfre...34567556141410. We have the insulation and carpeting down and about half of the paneling up. We set the dinette, kitchenette and seats in to see how it was all going to fit in. So far, so good.