Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All-American
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24V
Rated Cap: 84
Meet Chancho!

Finally found the bus! (Thanks Ross!) Named it Chancho, so now our 12 pax van can be Chanchito.

2001 Bluebird All-American 84 pax/15 window
FE- 5.9L Cummins
MD3060 (no 6th yet)
77" ceiling

Drove the bus 30hrs from AZ to FL with no issues!

notional build plan: seating/dining area (front), galley kitchen, lavatory with shower, 2 sets of bunk beds, queen bed rear).

Intended purpose: Long distance road tripping for weeks at a time (not quite full time)
Attached Thumbnails
bus.jpg   bus with seats out..jpg   bus with seats out.jpg  

STS23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Congrats! I'm glad it was an uneventful trip!

Out of curiosity, did you end up driving at night?
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I have that same drivetrain, it's a real 'mover'.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Congrats! I'm glad it was an uneventful trip!

Out of curiosity, did you end up driving at night?
Yes and no. Getting home became priority. I left at 4:30 pm (mst) and drove until about 11:30 and slept in a Walmart parking lot in Edgewood, NM. Hit the road again at 6:30 am until 1:00 am(cst) and stayed at a truck stop in West Monroe, LA. Left again at 5:30 am and got home around 1:00 pm.

Driving through Texas midday was rough. Being from the south, I’m familiar with warm weather, but hot is still hot no matter how you look at it. 100+ degree temps got the fan clutch engaged a few times on the bigger longer grades.

Left Flagstaff with a full tank (100 gal) and filled up in San Jon, NM. 545 miles, 99% of the time cruise was set at 62. 46 gallons = 11.8 mpg… but it was mostly downhill and I probably cut it off a little early after the first few foam spews.

Next fill up was in Tyler, TX about 550 miles. Cruise set at 65, but a lot of up and down hills and a little traffic. 60 gallons = 9 mpg but this time I filled it until liquid was at the top of the neck.

I guesstimate the final ~600 miles at 63mph used around 60 gallons, judging by the fuel quantity indication. Haven’t filled it up since I got home.

I’m figuring a solid 10.5ish mpg average with cruise set between 62 and 64. I’m overjoyed!!

The only “events” happened in the last 300 yards of the trip.

Turning into the neighborhood my cooler slid off the doghouse and fell down the steps, thus cracking the door glass on one side.

The other event was me “nudging” the neighbor’s mailbox as I attempted to back Chancho in the backyard under the cover of darkness. I straightened it out, no harm no foul.

So now I have a 40’ bus under an RV cover in my backyard. Brings a whole new meaning to “undercover”
Old 08-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
What a crazy trip! Oooph... too bad about the cracked glass. That had to have sucked to end a couple long days. Glad you didn't fry like the egg in the old D.A.R.E commercial. "This is you... This is a bus... This is you getting the bus *sizzle sizzle*"
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by STS23 View Post
Turning into the neighborhood my cooler slid off the doghouse and fell down the steps, thus cracking the door glass on one side.
Aw man, stuff like that is the worst. I cracked one of my door panes just going forward and back a couple feet to shift the bus over a tiny (and pointless) amount in my parking space, while having the door open despite telling myself I probably shouldn't be moving with the door open. Ran the door right into one of the step-lifts I use to keep my bus level.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:32 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Been outta town for a minute but got a little time to work yesterday. Got my seat bolt holes filled. I ordered some little 5/16” plastic plugs and sealed them in with some black adhesive sealant. Once that was done I put down 3/4” 15psi foam and a layer of 3/8” plywood. I was going to put flooring throughout the bus before I started taping/laying everything out until I realized that only about 25% of the floor will be visible once it’s furnished. I plan on saving a little coin anywhere I can so I’ll just put flooring down once the beds and counters are framed out.

Thoughts?

Also, I really enjoy my bus looking like a sketchy meth lab in my backyard so I keep it covered with a big class A cover. The only problem is that means it gets pretty warm in there with little to no airflow. 115.9F to be exact. Makes working in there a weight loss exercise. Who needs electrolytes anyway?!
Attached Thumbnails
D84382A6-8CC9-4BC9-8A7D-6077B7D0BF4D.jpg