Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
So I've been busy with work again but did find time to put the generator back together with new parts I bought a few months back. Also had to reassemble the powder coated parts I had done back then too. I modified my old craftsman tool cart to handle the 600lb weight. Some new polyurethane casters with creative welds round the thing up. Used my mini bobcat to lift the generator up onto the cart where it was much easier to build. I had a radiator shop clean and check the radiator. While they had it, a bung was added for a temperature sender. I also added an oil pressure sender for remote monitoring.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6002.jpg   IMG_6003.jpg   IMG_6004.jpg  

Old 03-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #142
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
#generatorenvy
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I found the complete set of original Onan manuals for that generator on the net If you need them I can look for the link again. Is this the 6.5DKD or the 7.0DKD? I really like the one I have installed in the "new Crown". If you wish to run it remotely I have the info for that also. You don't need anything from Onan to do it. I also have the wiring info to configure it for 240 VAC or 120 VAC. Your generator looks pretty nice too.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #144
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I found the complete set of original Onan manuals for that generator on the net If you need them I can look for the link again. Is this the 6.5DKD or the 7.0DKD? I really like the one I have installed in the "new Crown". If you wish to run it remotely I have the info for that also. You don't need anything from Onan to do it. I also have the wiring info to configure it for 240 VAC or 120 VAC. Your generator looks pretty nice too.
I love this generator. Picked it up with 267 hours on it. Needed new hoses, belt and some other stuff to keep it reliable. Age just kills stuff. I have the manuals but I am not clear on the harness to make it remote start. I do have the pigtail that goes into the generator but thats about it. Found a NOS remote start panel on ebay but I have no idea on wiring it up. Looks like it may only need 4 wires and a ground to get it going remote...
If you have any insight, I would appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2021, 01:06 AM   #145
Bus Nut

I will get the info for remote operation. You can also have remote temp and oil pressure gauges.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #146
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Simon,
Would love for our buses to meet and to get any tips or connections for the area! I'm in Mesa too. I've had my bus for a week and a half. Another fan for life of Tony at AAA.
Thanks for this thread, best wishes for smooth construction!
-Angel
angelicadevries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #147
Bus Nut

Hi Angel!

I haven’t been able to do much on my bus due to work getting in the way. I am actively seeking metal fabricators to come over and put in a basement on the bus. I am at a stalemate with time. Seems as if everyone is busy. You are more than welcome to see what I have done so far. I’m out off of Ellsworth & Southern
Old 04-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #148
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, we were just down the street from each other! My old neighbor has been having a welder come over to do his carport, if it would be helpful I can get their contact? My bus is parked in Scottsdale and I just moved to Chandler from Hawes and Broadway.
angelicadevries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #149
Bus Nut

We moved from Chandler (Riggs & Gilbert Rd) about 6 years ago. Found a house with over an acre. As I get older I find I would rather have more land! Wife thinks I am crazy. There's something nice about walking around at night... Went all out on the complete gut/remodel.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #150
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I will get the info for remote operation. You can also have remote temp and oil pressure gauges.
I figured out the wiring. Found a remote start panel/switch kit NOS from eBay. It came with a wiring diagram that my DKD book did not have. I made a ABS panel with three black gauges (oil, Temp and volt) as well as two line monitoring meters and the remote start panel all going in it. I also put in an hour meter which is currently powered by my bench top power supply until I get to the same 268 hours. I did run the generator the other day and was impressed at how nice it runs. No leaks from all the hoses I replaced.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:36 AM   #151
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
I figured out the wiring. Found a remote start panel/switch kit NOS from eBay. It came with a wiring diagram that my DKD book did not have. I made a ABS panel with three black gauges (oil, Temp and volt) as well as two line monitoring meters and the remote start panel all going in it. I also put in an hour meter which is currently powered by my bench top power supply until I get to the same 268 hours. I did run the generator the other day and was impressed at how nice it runs. No leaks from all the hoses I replaced.
I apologize for not getting back to you. I could not remember which thread I made the post to.

The wiring is found in manual 6821057702_ONAN_DKD_SERVICE_MANUAL on page 8-9 in drawing 662-6124 in the middle of the page.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:42 AM   #152
Bus Nut

That manual can be found at the following url:

http://truckroadservice.com/barth_at...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 04-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #153
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Wife thinks I am crazy.
Well, welcome to my world. Good luck
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #154
Bus Nut

So Life and mostly work got in the way of any real progress. I got extremely frustrated last week since my 5th fabricator who came to look at the bus ended up being a no show after showing genuine interest to do the lower storage bays. I almost decided to give up but my Facebook fans cleared my mind with good reasoning. I bought a middle of the road plasma cutter (as far as amazon goes!) and decided to have a whack at it. Started on Friday evening in the 95º sun and finished this afternoon. The larger cut towards the rear is for the generator. I need to figure out how to build a slide out that will support the 600lb weight of it. To make it fit without sticking down low, I needed to protrude into the cabin. With the roof raise, there will be a 6" step across the hallway to accommodate. Don't know how far I will get with any real fabrication work as the summer heat starts up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6524.JPG   IMG_6528.jpg   IMG_6527.jpg   IMG_6529.jpg   IMG_6530.jpg  

Old 05-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #155
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Wow! You're a slicing demon! Nice to see you back at it.
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #156
Bus Nut

Thanks Oscar! I forgot to post a pic of the remote panel I made for the Onan. Works like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6234.jpg  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:12 AM   #157
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Nice instrument panel!

I also need to figure out how to mount my generator on slides. Fortuantly my generator was built to mount under sprinter vans so it is fairly small and the mounts are on the top. If you find some good heavy duty drawer slides please share.

Thanks

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #158
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
IDK, but could you use a battery box tray, like I have in my BlueBird? Maybe you need to cut it up and re-size it or something, but it has the roller-slides that you would need.

Then again, you would have to find a doner bus.....
Old 05-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #159
Bus Nut

Got the Propane tank installed. I welded in some 3/16 plate across three underbody ribs for added support even though the bolts pass through the ribs. Need to get 1/2" longer bolts as I'd like to see some threads past the Nylock nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6544.jpg   IMG_6545.jpg  
Old 05-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #160
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Nice instrument panel!

I also need to figure out how to mount my generator on slides. Fortuantly my generator was built to mount under sprinter vans so it is fairly small and the mounts are on the top. If you find some good heavy duty drawer slides please share.

Thanks

Ted
I built a 10g steel shelf for the Onan 4000, the shelf slides in and out on 500lb drawer slides. Welded to 3" angle iron welded to the floor of a storage box on drivers rear.

https://www.amazon.com/Drawer-Slide-.../dp/B0009OBPH4